• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RAM Request Thread

Started by CasperVg, February 10, 2008, 12:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CasperVg

This is a thread where all requests will be moved to in order to keep the developement thread "clean" with developement only.  Remember, things will be done in due time and certain things will be done on a priority based system.  -JPlumbley

I would like to plead for a Left Hand Drive (or Right Hand, not sure what side trains ride on in SC4) Mod, included in the RAM.
In most European countries, trains drive on the Left Hand of the tracks.

At the start of the Industrial Revolution in England, the train was put to good use for transporting goods (mainly coal) from a mine to a nearby seaport (1825 - Stockton and Darlington Railway). This first happened on wooden tracks. Because cars (well, carriages) drove on the left side of the road (well, trail) in the UK, trains used the same routine and drove on the left side (if two sides were availible...). As the first tracks/trains in Europe where sponsered by English investors, the trains used the routine from England, and thus drove on the left. This has stayed the rule in much countries (Belgium, Italy, Sweden, France, ...). In order countries (Germany, the Netherlands, Romania, ...), people agreed to make trains drive on the right side.  This does get a problem at borders, and thus countries agree to make trains drive on the side of the neighbouring country, after it has passed a specific stations (mostly large stations).
In most countries it doesn't matter, safety wise, wether the trains drive on the left or right hand side. In the olde' time, with steam locomotives, the drives didn't have a clear view  in front (only side); and thus it would have been a safety hazard.

I would also like to request (dragable) 3 & 4-track railway system.

3-Track (RAM-3?): 3-Track railways are rare, but append in between important switches and stations, thus giving the ability for trains to start or stop at multiple quays. This gets some (not much) use near big stations, where freight trains drive on one track (in both directions) and public trains on the 2 other.

4-Track (RAM-4?):
T: To - F: Back

T-F-T-F: Two double tracks side-by-side. Possible using SC4 atm. This is used on the Amsterdam Rail Ringway, where the default railway and ground metro lines ride side by side.
T-T-F-F: Inner tracks used for tram-like railway (stops at every station). Outer tracks for international rail and intercities.
T-F-F-T: Is nearly unused. When this type becomes a 2-track again, a fly-over is used so other railtraffic is not stopped.

That's it. I hope you'll keep my suggestions in mind.
Casper
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

JoeST

QuoteT-T-F-F: Inner tracks used for tram-like railway (stops at every station). Outer tracks for international rail and intercities.
I was thinking that the inner tracks are usually used for inter cities. well this is atleast what happens at my local train station.

I would like to request:

ArkenbergeJoe's Viaducts be developed into dragable versions for the RAM, where (maybe) the ramp is the starter piece, or a ramp is automatically created on intersection with normal Rail

Joe

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

TopCliff

I have an idea: what about starter pieces for the base texture? Like, one for dirt, and then one for grass, and concrete, so you can choose which one best fits the surrounding environment. Just throwing it out there.
Best movie of all time: Ferris Bueller's Day Off. If you disagree, Cameron will send your car over a cliff.

Please, call me Leo.  I quote John Lennon now, a great musician and philosopher. Particularly, one of his songs: You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you join us, and the world will live as one.

Toichus Maximus

Two words--S BENDS. We need trans 1, trans 2, and trans 3 tile rail s bends for our networks to look swell. Obviously, they'd need to be long enough to look realistic, and yet short enough to be functional. 5 tiles seems about right, but thats just a guess.

Just want you guys to know, you're my heros for doing this project. Rail is by far my favorite to work with, and a network that will never lose its romanticism.

Godzillaman

Quote from: TopCliff on February 10, 2008, 12:43:20 PM
I have an idea: what about starter pieces for the base texture? Like, one for dirt, and then one for grass, and concrete, so you can choose which one best fits the surrounding environment. Just throwing it out there.

For avenues and roads? That would rock...
"With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound he pulls the spitting high-tension wires down..."

JoeST

I think you are forgetting that this is the RAM, the Rail Addon Mod...

It would be a nice idea for the other networks, but lets concentrate on the current project.

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Kitsune

Draggable Catenary supports, as actual wires are impossible by the sounds of it.
~ NAM Team Member

Andreas

Quote from: Kitsune on February 11, 2008, 01:18:38 PM
Draggable Catenary supports, as actual wires are impossible by the sounds of it.

Yeah, wires won't work properly, since props can't "bend" like textures on uneven terrain. Catenaries that will appear automatically will come eventually, though.
Andreas

T1

I'd like to request... some cool moving bridges. Maybe some functioning roundhouses, more trains on the track, and some other cool accessories.

TopCliff

I was talking about railways people. I meant grass and dirt and cement for UNDER RAILS. That way, it can blend with farms, or go through deserts, or even throuhg your big CBDs while blending in. That's what I meant.
Best movie of all time: Ferris Bueller's Day Off. If you disagree, Cameron will send your car over a cliff.

Please, call me Leo.  I quote John Lennon now, a great musician and philosopher. Particularly, one of his songs: You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you join us, and the world will live as one.

dragonshardz

TC (TopCliff), calm down. s.t (star.torturer) was talking to GZM (Godzillaman) because he mentioned avenues and roads in the RAM Requests thread.

TC, I think your idea has merit and is a great idea, but how about this: transparent textures on the starter? that way we can put it anywhere but it blends in anywhere.

Andreas

Quote from: TopCliff on February 11, 2008, 04:14:55 PM
I was talking about railways people. I meant grass and dirt and cement for UNDER RAILS. That way, it can blend with farms, or go through deserts, or even throuhg your big CBDs while blending in. That's what I meant.

You mean like this? :)

Andreas

TopCliff

Yeah, exactly like that! So there would be different starter pieces (I know about NOB's mods) for different textures so you could decide Hmm, that grass texture looks great going through the forst, and the dirt/dust texture goes great for my barren valley. That's basically what I meant, yes.

Andreas

Well, what I made is a set of wealth-dependent textures. :) This is probably even more flexible than using starter puzzle pieces, since the underlying texture changes according to the adjacent zones (or lots). The mod is basically ready, I just need to check some minor things and create a proper documentation.
Andreas

jpj_starfleet

I would like to request a draw or swing bring so we don't have to go so high up on terran to cross a river or bay, many crossing are done on these type of bridges like in Chicago, this may be just a regular request on the request forum but since you guys are working just on rail I'd thought I'd ask... :thumbsup:

Swamper77

Bridges can be done. It's just a matter of creating the models and configuring specific files to allow for additional bridges to work in the game. Animated lifting bridges could be done, but the game won't stop the trains for an open bridge. It doesn't recognize such objects. So all lifting bridges will have to be rendered as a static, closed bridge for game purposes.

As for roundhouses, they would probably end up being lots, which the NAM (and probably the RAM) won't include in their files. The best you can do for a roundhouse is to make one in BAT and then transit enable it with a custom "U-Turn" path inside the lot, but hidden by the model. In other words, it will just be eye-candy.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

kassarc16

If the RAM also deals with El-rail, I'd like to see more pieces for the El-over-road, like + and t junctions, diagonals and curves.

As for regular rail, maybe draggable railyards, using T-21s for railcar props?

ejc

I would like to see more large elevated rail(not subway tracks!!) stations. in real-life almost all of the large stations the tracks are 1 level up. Entrance on ground, and tracks running above it. With crossings of roads going underneath it in city centers.

So, what I mean is NOT like "Tokyo Station" from stex. Those are connected on (subway) elevated rail, I mean a station we can connect with the elevated rail puzzle pieces..

I hope you guys get what I mean?

E

QMan

The only other thing I can think of besides what's already been mentioned here is just a couple of stations that will be able to handle like 4 or 5 tracks. 

CasperVg

I hope you guys get what I mean?
If I understand correct, you are looking for embanked rail stations?

Like this one (Ghent St. Pieters - Gand St. Pierre in Belgium, Ghent)

(back entrance, sort of showing that the tracks are on the roof of the building)

(corridor, for passengers to get to their trains [not visible: escalators/stairs to get to the quays that are on the roof)

(main entrance to the building - the white building in the back does not exist anymore)

I would love this building to be batted somehow...
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube