• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Virus Alert!

Started by dragonshardz, February 22, 2008, 08:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonshardz

Got this in the mail today:

--Original Message--
I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus! I checked snopes.com, and it is for real: Snopes (linkie)

Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY, CONTACTS!

You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD,' regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which which erases the C:/ drive of your computer via a "e-card" file attached to an email. Since the C:/ drive is always the drive your operating system will boot from, the virus is especially dangerous! This virus might be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

Windows Vista users, beware as well! Even though User Account Control is running on your computer, it is NOT foolproof.

Be very cautious and do not open emails that mention postcards or "e-cards" without confirming with the obtensible sender that s/he actually sent one to you.

There was also an ongoing "A (virtual) card for you" scam in 2000-2002. If you receive an email entitled "A (Virtual) Card For You", simply delete it as it and the virus it references are hoaxes.
--End Original Message--

(And now for my comments on the email)
I recieved this from friends who have a penchant for chain mail. Please follow the link to Snopes.com given at the beginning of this email and check for yourselves. And if you have any reason to beleive that this is false, please reply to me (email removed for personal security) and tell me why. I have reason to beleive that the original message confuses the "Invitation" hoax with a very real threat.

Regardless of the veracity of this threat, please be careful on the Internet as there ARE people out there who for some reason want to mess with computer users. Be CAREFUL and do not open any emails from people you do not trust or do not know.

City Builder

I don't think it can be mentioned enough, regardless of what the latest fashionable virus might be, one must always stay on their toes and not open attachments unless they are expecting an attachment from someone and have verified it.  I remember many people that got hit when "their friends" sent them an attachment so they felt it was safe to open only to get the virus and or hopefully have their anti-virus software block it before it did any damage.
When your tired of games of destruction, come to CityBuilderGames.com to discuss games of Construction!
Oh!  Thanks for the negative rep, I love you too!