• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Matanuska Peak

Started by dedgren, February 10, 2007, 02:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

These are just a few pics of Matanuska Peak, the highest point on a beautiful massif that rises right behind the small city of Palmer, Alaska a few miles from my home.

The peak, also called Byers Peak, is to the south of its name on the topo map.  It is 6,119 feet/1.865 meters tall, and that is virtually all vertical rise from the Palmer Hay Flats immediately to its front (west), as the hay flats are about 50 feet/16 meters above sea level.  Lazy Mountain appears from Palmer more or less as an extended ridgeline off to the northwest.

Although fairly large mountains, they are also readily accessible and are frequently climbed.  While the top of the massif, as you can see

is pretty rugged, there is a trail all the way to the top.  Other peaks of the Chugach Range trend off to the southeast, heading up toward Knik Glacier, which I can see on a clear day

from the hill just down the road from my house.  It's not quite visible from where I shot these pics, but its beautiful valley certainly is.

Just remember, if you're in Alaska, look me up.  As an attorney, I'm not hard to find.  There's always coffee goin', and I'm always happy to let my friends use the camping equipment.

Beauty is always close at hand here, but you should look around where you live, as well.  Share a few pics of what you find with others- you, too, may find a friend someday on your doorstep.

Take care.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

wouanagaine

Nice pics david

I'm sure Besk will jump in and provide a map of that area :)

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

M4346

Beautiful pics David, and I sometimes forget that the world can look so differently elsewhere, and yet so beautiful.

I have never had the honour of visiting Alaska and have always secretly underestimated its beauty, thanks for setting the record straight!  :thumbsup:

Your part of the world is just as beautiful as my part of the world. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

beskhu3epnm

Yes, if you would like a map of that area, USGS provides 10m data (the best set currently available for free) and you would then have perfect representation of that peak in SC4TF (and SC4).

I may provide a 3D comparison. You've sparked my interest!

If you would like this map, PM me, and it shall be!

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=79.0
New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Cali

it's a beautiful area. thanks for the pics:)
"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

Rayden

Quote from: beskhu3epnm on February 11, 2007, 08:05:15 PM
Yes, if you would like a map of that area, USGS provides 10m data (the best set currently available for free) and you would then have perfect representation of that peak in SC4TF (and SC4).

I may provide a 3D comparison. You've sparked my interest!

If you would like this map, PM me, and it shall be!

Nice photos David. And Besk, I would like to see that too. I've tried to make one myself of that area and/or McKinley's area, but I guess I do not know where to get and how to work 16bit dems to make maps like yours ;)

beskhu3epnm

dedgren,

I went ahead and made a 9x9 (large tile) map of Palmer Alaska. Here are the results (3D shot of Matanuska peak, map overview):

(obviously modified). I didn't repost your original image. I tried to get the same perspective, however, I missed out a little I think.

Map overview. Unfortunately, the river disappears upstream, as the elevation changes. SC4 Limitation. pvarcoe suffers the same fate on "Terraforming Teton" with regards to water levels.

Alaska data turns out to be 2 arc second, which is 50% as good as 1/3 arc second (the standard). Nevertheless, it came out not looking too bad. I am considering uploading this map, or I could donate it privately if there is enough interest...

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=79.0
New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Gaston

David,
   Very kool stuff.   I don't know about anyone else but I'd be interested in trying to populate a map of that area.    Did you ever see that post I made about the Alaskan author?   My GF was wondering.   She is supposedly from over near Wasilla.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Vandy

David, David, David...

[JOKE MODE ON]
When are you going to learn you must temper your posts.  Too much beauty has a way of burning out one's senses.
[JOKE MODE OFF]

What a wonderful and beautiful series of pictures these are.  Oh, how I love the mountains.  You've captured not only their beauty for their foreboding and brooding mood.  Great work.

AND THEN, my buddy Travis goes and creates a map of the mountain.

SHEEZE!  Great work, Travis.

Regards,

Gary

In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.  © May 29, 1980