• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Looking for a simple database that runs on Windows XP.

Started by City Builder, March 13, 2008, 02:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

City Builder

Hi,
Im trying to find a simple database (preferably free if possible) that will simply read the contents of any folders that I instruct it to on my hard drive and make a database of all the files that are in those folders.  It should also have a simple search function so that I can type in whatever I like (part of file name with wildcard perhaps) and have it tell me where that file is found in the folders.

Yeah I know that I could use the built in search function of windows but Im hoping to find something that has a few more features, something that will let me manipulate the data to some extent, print lists of what is contained in teh database by my own chosen criteria etc.

If anybody has heard of such a tool I'd love to know about it.

Thanks in advance.
When your tired of games of destruction, come to CityBuilderGames.com to discuss games of Construction!
Oh!  Thanks for the negative rep, I love you too!

sarjm

How about this - Data Crow.
Not a database but may help - Dir 2 File.

RebaLynnTS

It would not take me much time to write you such an app, to be honest.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

City Builder

Thanks for the suggestions.  Im looking into datacrow though shortly after writing this thread I remembered that I had purchased a piece of software called Smart CD Catalog Pro to index all my game CD's and not only will it take a snapshot of all the files on a cd (great for photo CD's and music CD's) but also from any folder on my hard drive and it has a built in html report as well as a search ability so it seems that will do what I was looking for, though now Im just checking out Data Crow to see if it does anything better.

Thanks again for the suggestion.
When your tired of games of destruction, come to CityBuilderGames.com to discuss games of Construction!
Oh!  Thanks for the negative rep, I love you too!