• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Network Problems....

Started by Meastro444, June 02, 2008, 07:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meastro444

hello

i have a strange (kinda) problem with our network at home: my computer is hooked up to the network through a network card and such (brand new one). on that network there are 3 computers, one which is mine. my pc cannot 'see' the other 2, and they cannot see mine. strange thing is, internet works just as fast, and LAN-games work too.

some side info:
-XP SP2 Pro
-drivers installed correctly (from the new network card)
-i did use the network wizard to connect to the network

regards

Meastro444
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

JoeST

so your pc is connected to the router and so are the other 2?...

the other two can see each other but not you?

how are you testing that they can "see" you?

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Meastro444

they cant see me, and i cant see them.

testing is using the My Networklocations (the standard Microsoft network program).
-ive bought a new network card for this, i had the same problem with the one the Motherboard came with.

the other two computers can see and each other -using the same program as above- , and transfering files with shared maps and such works. the other pc's work with XP SP2 too.

another thing: this problem started a while ago, i dont know when anymore or with what i installed :-[.

does system restore touch any games/savegames/software i install?

JoeST

duno about system restore... but:

are the workgroups set the same?

to check (if you dont know how) right click on my computer on the start menu , the properties option -> computer name tab -> workgroup

u can change the workgroup using the rename option "change..." button

and make sure that windows firewall is set to let file and printer sharing through ;)

Joe

cogeo

For local networks, if a computer has not been specified to assign IP to the others (can't remember the exact name of this service), the normal is to have the 3 first segments of the IP address the same. Typically this is 192.168.4.XXX (where XXX is between 0 and 255 - I would suggest not using values 0 and >250).
So check the IP settings, and if the "Automatically Assign an IP" option is not set on the other two computers, change this to Manual in the new computer and specify an IP with the three segments the same as of the other two computers (the fourth should of course be different).

EDIT:
1. Also check if the network card is enabled (must be enabled from the bios - in the Device Manger it should be reported as OK - The Device is working properly).
2. Check if the cable is a normal PC-to-Hub/Switch cable and not a lap-link one. The former has all wires connected in exactly the same order, while the latter has two wires flipped (compare the two plugs).
3. Finally try to ping the other two computers, to verify if a (physical) network connection exists.

Hope this helps

TEG24601

Are some of the computers wireless, and do you have a single router for wired and wireless?  Can iTunes see the different computers? It is possible that the computers are on different subnets.  Make sure you have a router using DHCP and NAT, then set all the computers to automatically get their IP address and ensure they are all on the same workgroup, that should solve it.

TEG

Meastro444

star.torturer:
For IP and workgroup see below.

cogeo:
answers
the automaticly assign IP-adres option is always on. i automaticly get an IP
1. Network Cars is enabled; if it were not i couldnt get on the net. if i can without enabling, tell me.
2. it is a pc to hub cable. this problem occurs on several other networks as well.
3. how do i do that?

TEG24601:
Workgroups are the same. i would see them even if i dont set them on the same workgroup ;). i do not use wireless. for IP, see above.

JoeST

to ping:

start -> run -> cmd

type ping [insert ip here] and it should try and ping the machine with that ip (wont/shouldnt work for the ip of the current machine) it should return:

Reply from [IP]: bytes x time some ammount of seconds TTL=x

Ping statistics for [IP]:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Recieved = x, Lost = x (x% lost),
Approx round trip in milli-seconds:
     Minimum = x ms, Maximum = x ms, Average = x ms

hope u can get it to work

Joe

Meastro444

yep, succeeded ;):
results

Reply from [IP]: bytes=32 <1 ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for [IP]:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Recieved = 4, Lost = 0 (0% lost),
Approx round trip in milli-seconds:
     Minimum = 0 ms, Maximum = 0 ms, Average = 0 ms

JoeST

why secure your IP? its internal... nobody can haxorz you from it :)

it will be in the range 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x or 172.16.x.x

and your times look quite fast... LOL

cogeo

Don't ping yourself, ping the other computers.

To determine your IP type ipconfig /all

Meastro444

i didnt ping myself, my IP is 10.0.0.3, de pc i used it on was 10.0.0.2

cogeo

Then check the connection's properties. Both the TCP/IP and Client for Microsoft Networks should be enabled.
Also all computers should be on the same workgroup.
Only one computer should be configured as DHCP server.

Meastro444

cogeo:
1. it 's always set that way ;)
2. done that already.
3. we are using a router, but that isnt the problem because it occurs on other networks as well.

to me, it looks like a security setting or a windows error; problem is dont have a clue how to figure it out.

JoeST

check your windows firewall?.... especialy the advanced settings ;)

Meastro444

when i check it, all boxes are unchecked.

the advanced settings: all unchecked,
ICMP setting, all unchecked.

when i play with the guys on the LAN-party, the Windows Firewall is always turned off, so i think that isnt the problem. if any or all boxes described above need to be checked, ill do ;)

Shadow Assassin

Your Windows Firewall should always be off unless the router doesn't have a hardware firewall [I assume it would; mine definitely has one].

Turn on File Sharing and see if you can access the other computers.

Also, try going to Run and typing: //10.0.0.x/c$ , where x is the number of the computer. Check your router settings just in case.

It should show the root folder of the main drive on that computer.

Also update your network drivers. Sometimes they may have not installed properly, while you can use the internet just fine, you can't communicate with other computers.

Quoteon that network there are 3 computers, one which is mine. my pc cannot 'see' the other 2, and they cannot see mine. strange thing is, internet works just as fast, and LAN-games work too.

However, this sounds like none of the computers have file sharing turned on. I don't think the computer would show up on the network unless they have it enabled.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Meastro444

Shadow Assassin:
Firewall is always on, why turn it off when it has worked when it was on ()what()
filesharing is on on al three computers. i cannot see them and they cannot see me, but the see each other just fine.

the //10.0.0.x/c$ and updating drivers i cannot do now, im not on my own pc ;) ill report back in a few hours.

Shadow Assassin

Ah, now we're narrowing down the problem.

It definitely is a driver configuration issue - one of my friends had the same problem and a driver install fixed it.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Meastro444

i reinstalled Windows, and now everything works fine again.

according to a friend it was a windows problem, becuase when i click "restore" on the Lan Connection button, it couldnt delete the NetBT.