• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Using my laptop in the US

Started by M4346, June 28, 2008, 03:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M4346

Hi everyone, I thought this might be the most relevant place to post it and I trust that someone here would perhaps be able to help me. :)

I'll be in the US from 1 - 15 July and was wondering if it would be possible for me to use my laptop (Acer Travelmate 2480) there, and what I would need to make that work.

I know you use 110V direct current, whereas we use 220V alternating current, but I'm not sure how to go about making it possible for me to use it there.

The adapter reads:

AC Adapter
INPUT: 100 - 240V ~ 1.5A 50-60Hz
OUTPUT: 19V ___ 3.42A
                    ---

My boyfriend's laptop's adaptor says AC/DC Adapter but has the same specs as above.

I also know you use a different "plug" than we do and also a different GSM frequency (not to mention miles, inches and the like!)

Some assistance would be appreciated in this regard, as the travel agencies here seem clueless.  :D

If you do respond I will probably only be able to respond on Sunday when I come back from the "bush." :P Going to visit my parents.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

eddiem

The voltage in US is 120v AC. Your adapter is suitable for 100 to 240 AC. If the adapter uses a cable and plug to connect to the AC outlet then there are adapters (travel plugs) available. Also, if the mains cable is separate, you could buy a US cable when you arrive.

M4346

Yes, thanks!! I figured as much! I just need to buy a plug that would fit into a US socket. :)

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it!  :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions

Unassigned

AFAIK various cellphone standards are in use in the US, it's not GSM everywhere. Your best option will probably be to check what's available where you're going and pick up a cheap phone which works on the local net.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Shadow Assassin

QuoteAFAIK various cellphone standards are in use in the US, it's not GSM everywhere. Your best option will probably be to check what's available where you're going and pick up a cheap phone which works on the local net.

If you have a good-quality tri- or quad-band mobile phone, you should be OK. It really depends on whether your phone company has roaming arrangements with overseas phone companies, though.

It's a good idea to check with your phone company about their roaming arrangements.
New Horizons Productions
See my uploads on the LEX!