• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Google Chrome Goes Live!

Started by M4346, September 02, 2008, 12:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M4346

Yeah, it's true folks! Google's web browser went live a few minutes ago and is available here: http://www.google.com/chrome

Check the link above for more info on this new browser, or read it for yourself at: http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

art128

I test Google Chrome at the moment, and I like it, it's very nice  :thumbsup: congrats Google corp  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

JoeST

Its great, I got it a few minutes ago, and tested a few sites out.

There is a few bugs with youtube but other than that its awesome...

and i cant wait to see the sourcecode :D

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Jonathan

I got it as soon as I could, ;D

Mainly because the idea of when one tab crashes the whole browser doesn't.
The only thing I don't like is the tabs at the top as ObjectDock docks get in the way.
But by the time it has got its ground and there are hundreds of plugins available, it will be much better. Also I love the way the downloads are handled.

Jonathan

M4346

I just wish they would release Adblock and all those other plugins I LOVE for Firefox! Foxy Tunes? FB Toolbar?! *sigh*

BUT I'm loving it regardless! And yeah, I love their version of tabbed browsing :)
New Horizons Productions

JoeST

hmm odd bug here... its saying this pages title is the same as the RHW thread :D

M4346

I think that's because it confuses the domain name (sc4devotion.com) with that page's name... that's my theory / hypothesis (rather) at least. :P

I know that Chrome works with the domain rather than the specific page.
New Horizons Productions

JoeST

well it was a onetime bug so far...

and its still a beta  so we should expect bugs (and lots of them) and then when we report them we will be told they are features :D

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i just found a really cool feature for blog/md writers. it has an expandable texbox

Joe

Andreas

Shame on you, Joe! Since yesterday, I'm the proud owner of a shiny 22" widescreen TFT panel, and now you post an almost equally wide pic, causing a horizontal scrollbar in your posting!  :P
Andreas

JoeST

well hopefully that will be fixed in the upcomming future with an auto-resize plugin for the forum software :D

Shadow Assassin

Quote from: JoeST on September 02, 2008, 02:24:12 PM
well hopefully that will be fixed in the upcomming future with an auto-resize plugin for the forum software :D

I hate those with a fiery passion. :P

I'm posting this on Chrome, and it seems to be good so far.

So many things have been taken from Firefox and Safari... in the case of FF, the bookmarks system, Safari: the rendering engine.

So speedy too.
New Horizons Productions
See my uploads on the LEX!

JoeST

well it looks like the forum doesnt stretch any more... instead just that post has a scrollbar on it :)

and chrome is great, BUT my friend uncovered (on the interwebs) a thing about the eula, that meant that anything you submitted through chrome was then googles:

QuoteBy submitting, posting or displaying the content, you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services

but they have since revoked this clause, thank god :)

Joe

MandelSoft

Well, I read an article about Google Chrome in my newspaper, and it says that it ought to be crashfree, but it isn't. Good thing: it's fast!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

JoeST

maarten, its a beta release of course its going to have bugs ;)

Joe

Shadow Assassin

An irritating thing is: NO RSS READER!

That should've been included in the beta... after all they could've just pinched the RSS reading software from Firefox... they did pinch the bookmarking system, after all.
New Horizons Productions
See my uploads on the LEX!

M4346

I am still waiting for my adblocker, facebook toolbar and foxytunes! :P

SA try http://reader.google.com

I LOVE it! :P
New Horizons Productions

dedgren

I tried it yesterday and had an odd thing happen- frequently when I post a comment I'll have the "post comment" window open in a tab and then use one or more other tabs to go off and find linkies and pics and quotes and stuff.  This has become second nature in Firefox.

When I did that in Chrome, I found that navigating elsewhere on the same site on another tab caused the "post comment" window to close, and there was no way I could get back to it (using the "back" and "forward" buttons) on the original tab.  I was irritated, because I'd lost a long comment I had typed, so haven't gone back to try to replicate what happened.  So, this is just a warning.

It does seem fast, and I really like the clean look.  IE has more buttons, controls, gizmos and just plain old shite than a frickin' F-22 cockpit, and none of it is particularly intuitive.  Firefox is better, but Chrome's minimalist approach is really in the right direction.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

JoeST

David: that's a weird bug, I tried to duplicate it just then

tab one has a reply window in it, tab two has been opened from a link in tab one, still in sc4d and I navigated around in tab 2 but it didnt do anything with tab one...

Joe

Pat

David are you saying that a shitakie Mushroom would be better off then IE lol.... I havent tried chrome yet at all, Im still getting used to Opera lol..  I cant get Vicki away from IE at all not even to FF...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

JoeST

Pat: make FF her default browser and uninstal IE :D