• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CPU is always at 100%. ???

Started by Jonathan, December 03, 2008, 11:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

I had to take my Hard Drive out, but when I come to put it back in, windows loads a bit slower than usual, and takes ages to log in, then when it does get logged in, the whole computer lags loads and it is unusable, When I finally get into the task manager, and on performance the CPU is on 100%, so I go and end all the programs (Such as MSN and Object Dock, even explorer) go back and the CPU is still at 1005 usage,. I don't believe it's a hardware issue, because I started in Safe Mode and that was normal speed, with no lag. I don't normally turn off my Computer, just hibernate it as it's quicker and easier,  so this is the first time in a week or two it has been off(when I took the Hard Driv out)

Is there so progm that will tell me what porgrams are causing the CPU to be used so much? Or anything else I can do?

Jonathan

superhands

not good news at all. &mmm
hope you find a solution.

threestooges

I'm not sure what would cause it to stay up at 100% like that, but just look under the 'Processes' tab in the Task Manager and see which program(s) are using most of the CPU's resources. I hope whatever it is is easy to fix.
-Matt

frdrcklim

What about your Page File Usage. Is it underloaded? When I load the Datpacker (when I look at BSC Datpacking part), I always look at the PF usage. It goes up slowly and it gets a bit laggy and a bit unresponsive.

Anyway, I'm no techie. You should just consult a technician  ;D.
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

Jonathan

Most processes (in the CPU) column are just 1 or 0, but maybe one is around 15, and explorer is from 30-45, Is that normal?, also the Pafe File Usage is something like 800MB/11000.

I tried system restore, but unsurprisingly it returned an unknown error.
Is it possible I have a virus? And could I use my Vista Disc to Repair the PC and it would work properly again?

EDIT: I also realised I had about 10 svchost.exe processes running, and 1 of them had 40ish in the CPU column, I ended it and a message poped up saying I was going to be logged off when i clicked OK because Plug n Play had been stopped, so I ignored it and ended anothe svchost.exe(hich said 20 in the CPU column) and the CPU dropped to 66% and then I'm guessing it restarted it self because it went back up to 100%, I think svchost.ee is similar to rundll32(or something) in that it runs something else?

Jonathan

jeronij

Hello warrior,

Bad news there... you seem to have all the numbers for a virus contest...  &mmm ... ( svchost processes are system processes, I know they consume quite many resources, but you need them all running ::) )

I'd suggest you to make a virus scan. I use AVG (grisoft) at home and at work (pro edition) and there is a free version which may help you to know what is going on.

However, virus are not easy to remove, (sometimes some files (dll) are copied into the system folders, and you wont be able to remove them ¡¡¡) and you can end reinstalling the OS. I dont know if the Vista has the option, but XP has a Recovery Console, if you boot with the original disk, which allows you to reinstall the system. Usually all the bad system files are removed and replaced with a new windows installation, but the users folders and programs and data remain in the hard disk.

Anyway, before reinstalling the OS, make sure you have removed as many viruses and other infections as you can. Try to leave bad files only in the Windows/system folders...

But I do really hope that it is not a virus...  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

callagrafx

A lot of viruses disguise themselves as svchost processes....check your network activity too.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Jonathan

Unfortunately, it was a virus, but lucky Norton Found it, I think it was called something like Backdoor.sdr (I can't remember the exact name), it was in a .rar I had downloaded about a month ago, which really annoys me because Norton is meant to scan everything download, and I use DAP which has the option to set a virus scanner but apparently Norton doesn't do that.

Also the virus description was slows down yo PC, hides it self from Windows processes or uses seemingly valid names, and sends data to remote computers about your passwords and such, I had disconnected the PC physically from the internet when I noticed my CPU usage so hopefully nothing was sent.

So I've clicked delete in Norton and I've restarted my PC, and I'm hoping that it fixes it.

EDIT: Well it seems to run a little bit faster but it is still a bit laggy, and that the CPU usage still very high, with no programs (such as MSN, Impulse, ObjectDock, etc.) I can't find the Vista disc anywhere, and I am betting that I'll spend the weekend searching for it and then finding it at 10pm on Sunday, having wasted my weekend, so is it legal to either borow a copy and repair the OS (not reinstall) or download a copy from the internet and repair using that?

EDIT2: I jsut found this and it seems legal, hopefully it will work.
Jonathan

Andreas

Yeah, that should be legal, since you purchased a serial number with your computer - this is the "license", and the CD/DVD/download is just a distribution medium (which you also can copy legally for backup purposes). Anyway, good luck with repairing your OS; such tasks are a major PITA, only stealing your precious free time...
Andreas

Jonathan

I dowloaded the repair disk, but it couldn't find anyhing wrong wth system files so it didn't repair anything, Idon't suppose there s a way to force it to reninsall the Windows files without touching my files(so deleting everythng that makes the OS work and puttin new ones back)?

I am pretty much lost on what to do now.

Jonathan

callagrafx

On the original disk there should be a "reinstall" facility, but I've found it's better to backup all data files, reformat the drive and start from scratch....safest way.  Unfortunately it takes time but it does leave you with a clean, optimised system.  After time, Windows gets all clunky with legacy stuff including an overbloated registry.  I do it as a matter of course annually (or before if I notice problems earlier).  Trying to "fix" Windows invariably never works  ;)
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Jonathan

Will the reinstall facilty remove all my files (clean install) or just affect the OS files, When I put the Vista disc in, it only comes up with the options, Repair and Instal(which then leads to Custom(ie install windows and clean hard HDD)  or Upgrade.)

Jonathan

jeronij

I am not familiar with the Vista Recovery options, but you may want to check Microsoft's site about this.
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Andreas

Quote from: callagrafx on December 06, 2008, 02:09:00 AM
On the original disk there should be a "reinstall" facility, but I've found it's better to backup all data files, reformat the drive and start from scratch....safest way.  Unfortunately it takes time but it does leave you with a clean, optimised system.  After time, Windows gets all clunky with legacy stuff including an overbloated registry.  I do it as a matter of course annually (or before if I notice problems earlier).  Trying to "fix" Windows invariably never works  ;)

Agreed. I always keep my data files on a separate partition, so I just have to wipe C:\ and reinstall Windows and the rest of the applications I need. Of course this keeps me busy for a day or two, but this way, I always have the latest drivers, newest program versions, and also all Windows hotfixes and service packs (I integrate them into a new installation CD which I use for installing Windows).
Andreas

Jonathan

Doesn't that mean your files would be on D:\ (or something that is't C:\).

So there isn't a way to simply remove all the OS files and put new ones in (Seems a kind of obivous thing to have)?

Jonathan

toxicpiano

Just some advice about norton:
It costs money and is mega slow, see this:

(I appreciate that's 2006 but it's hard to believe it's any less bloated 2 years later)
Get some like avast! or AVG, they are really great and free.

You should copy all your essential stuff to an external drive (they are very cheap now) or separate partition and then format windows.  I would also put a load of installer files of programs and drivers that you use/need on a pen drive for whenever you format. I put Vista SP1 on there for example because windows update seems to be enormously slow at downloading. It will save you hours getting everything anew.
I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.

Andreas

My data files are on E:\, actually, since I use D:\ for a spare Windows installation (in case the one on C:\ gets wrecked, there's still a chance that the one on D:\ works, and if it is only to backup your files). You can relocate the "My Documents" folder manually, and Windows will change the path internally. I also did this for my mail account files, the bookmarks etc., so most of the personal stuff is removed from C:\ (minus a few things, such as the registry settings).
Andreas

Jonathan

Thanks to my Dad, I found my Vista Disc, for some reason it was inside a CD drive, that didn't work(had to use a pin to get it out).

It's just loading up hopefully it's not damaged, though now is there anyway to do a non-clean install, as it is going on about a clean install I'm guessing there is an option to non-clean install? Cal never seemed to reply. If there isn't never mind, I'm just happy to have found my disc :)

Jonathan

callagrafx

Quote from: Warrior on December 12, 2008, 12:15:17 PM
Thanks to my Dad, I found my Vista Disc, for some reason it was inside a CD drive, that didn't work(had to use a pin to get it out).

It's just loading up hopefully it's not damaged, though now is there anyway to do a non-clean install, as it is going on about a clean install I'm guessing there is an option to non-clean install? Cal never seemed to reply. If there isn't never mind, I'm just happy to have found my disc :)

Jonathan

Sorry Jonathan, thought I had.  "I don't know" is the honest answer as the only machine I have with Vista on is an Acer laptop and it came pre-installed with an OEM recovery disk.  At a guess if it's like XP then yes, it should have a "re-install" facility

JoeST

I dont think so, tho if your data isnt on the same partition as the system then it should be safe

if it isnt, your pretty much screwed.... i would suggest getting a Live OS and backing it all up (if its not already backed up) and then clean installing it...

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms