• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Disaster!

Started by TheTeaCat, December 01, 2006, 06:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oyd

Quote from: Alek King of SC4 on December 29, 2006, 07:41:47 AM
i suggest doing all your dependency packs, prop packs, texture packs first.
good idea (thats what i did) as i think that all the dependency packs and etc are the core of the plugins folder...
"Dear Prudence wont you come out and play..."

M4346

I am truly sorry for your loss, and yes, it's more than two months ago now, but I feel your pain.  :)

It happened to me twice last year and I lost ALL my music! Which was really sad, the SC4 stuff I could get over, but the music!  :'( But, nonetheless, I got it all back (don't ask how :P) and now back-up everything, including my plugins folder.  $%Grinno$%
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Fledder200

omg...what a terible news...but...that pic..it made laugh so hard that i waked my BF up!! hahahaha i love that pic..great one :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is too short to wear bad clothes...and ugly shoes!

Shadow Assassin

I back up my zip files for the plugins.

Though, I've been having some concerns lately this year that this year might be the year that my HD will probably decide to kill itself. Soooo... I'll have to hold tight. I don't want to lose all my movies, music and "other stuff", either. Obviously, I don't want to lose SC4 either.

Having been the subject of a HD failure three and a half years ago, I know what it feels like (but then again, it was only a 20gig, this one's a 120).

I don't like to use RAID, either, considering it's a bit difficult to wrangle with sometimes - 2 or seperate HDs will almost always be a better option than RAID, as if 1 dies, the others are fine, but in most RAID arrays, if one dies, the rest are GONE.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

dioangel

OH GOD!! Thank god I'm not the only one.. my father's computer died (power supply went off). The good news my brother took out the hard drive transfer his files to this other my brother lend him to borrow. Well this doesn't stop there. The following day around midnight, my brother knocks on my bedroom door borrowing my tower to swap or something. Only god knows what was he doing.. The next day he told me the bad news, My mother board got shot! :( He was very mad, and kind of upset telling me the story.. I was upset too. The good news is My hard drive is not damaged!  :) So right now waiting for to back up everything.. which is NOT going to happen.  :(

I'm glad my brother called HP.. I don't know who was that guy on the phone with my brother, gave us a excellent deal! Brand new tower with everything, and a flat screen monitor for 600 smackers!!  :thumbsup: You know what's weird... the PC I had I got from walmart a year in a half ago was obsolete!  ???

"Beethoven is known for writting the most daring music has ever known to man...DioAngel is known for writting outragous stories has ever known to a lady."
My new MD: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6796.0

cammo2003

My technique is that every time I recompress with DatPacker, I maintain a copy of the zips. Every now and then, I get a blank disc (now that I've got a DVD burner, it'll be a DVD, so everything will fit on one) and burn a copy of my content. Works fairly well, though it has to be said, I haven't had too many failures, although last year was fun with 4 windows reinstalls. Yay.  ()sad()

Madeira aka Constantina

i don't really know which is the best compression file format, yet some online service providers may give you online backup space as standard.

I favour an external hard drive. you get more gigabytes for less as time wears on. I bought a 400GB Freecom for about eighty quid.