• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Windows 7

Started by frdrcklim, January 18, 2009, 01:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frdrcklim

Has anyone tried the beta release of Windows 7? I downloaded it about a few days ago and well, I was satisfied. They say its boot time is faster than that of XP SP3 and well, I didn't time it, but I would agree that the loading time was pretty fast. They say that the beta is stable which is why I downloaded it. I could finally play DX10 rendered games, but the thing is, the OS has DX 11! I wasn't able to maximize the enjoyment though. I played World in Conflict, a DX10 game, and though it was rendered in DX10, it ran slow like the previous one. I installed this OS beta in my second hard drive which isn't really what I call fast. In my opinion, what made it slow was the hard drive cause the rest of my system had the same specs. That's just about it. I'll be trying Sim City 4 in Windows 7. Until then ;D.
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

Jonathan

I think it is a bigger improvement over Vista, one thing I noticed is that the UAC isn't so annoying. Also I like the new libraries, I didn't understand them at first but now I do, I played SC4 on it, and did some modding(SC4Tool still doesn't work though) and it was just about the same as on Vista(but the Computer I was using was considerably worse). And the jumplists, do make things easier to open. Although the taskbar takes getting used to. (annoying thing is I kept accidentally "previewing the desktop") Also the way of maximising and changing the size of windows is just simple. It seems more stream lined than Vista, and I'll probably be upgrading when it's released and I can afford it.

Jonathan

Pat

any screenies to what this OS looks like? or for that any linkie  ;)  :D

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

XiahouDun

Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

frdrcklim

Quote from: Pat on January 19, 2009, 12:02:02 AM
any screenies to what this OS looks like? or for that any linkie  ;)  :D

Here is Windows 7 Beta being featured at the CES 2009 from TigerDirectBlog.
http://www.youtube.com/v/-udvmpuJs1A

EDIT: So, I played SimCity 4 on Windows XP...

...and on Windows 7 Beta.

Don't mind fraps, I just had this idea that it was gonna be faster on Windows 7 but it's just about the same performance.

Yep, I still got it.

Pat

hmmm intresting to say the least there!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

frdrcklim

After trying out the beta, there are a few problems that I encountered:
1. The ethernet LAN seems to be slower than XP under the same settings. Bad drivers is my guess. However, WiFi was not affected and worked normally.
2. IE8 is buggy. It can't render sites such as... need I say... SC4D (yeah, I'm using IE8 to type this post right now :D), citiesxl and possibly many more (one website actually says that IE8 couldn't render more than 2,000 websites :D), but you can just install other internet apps like IE7 or Mozilla if you want this to be avoided.
3. SC4Mapper doesn't seem to run at all (It's possible I have that missing file problem again but I copied an exact replica of my SC4Mapper folder with the needed files already there and put it in this drive). DatPacker works fine though.

I wouldn't get discouraged though. Since it's still in beta, things are not yet final and bugs will hopefully get fixed. If there are problems, it's best that they are reported so that we get what we want when the final product comes out. It seems that the release date is moved earlier to September, 2009 (I wish they could move it earlier though since the beta runs out on August 1, 2009). I certainly can't wait to get my hands on this one ;D.

Yep, I still got it.

allan_kuan1992

Cool. Thanks for testing.

I'm going to buy this version for sure... for some reason my computer lags even with technically strong performance (Core 2 Quad Q8200, 4GB DDR RAM, 600 GB HD).

The problem could be however related to the fact that it was purchased from Staples (I should probably never buy computers from mass-production manufacturers again).

- Allan Kuan

catty

I've dual-booted Windows 7 on the same computer I have Windows XP Professional installed.

Processor Name:  Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.93GHz
Videocard Name:  NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
Installed Memory:  1,535.48 MB

It may be that I need more memory, etc but my computer keeps freezing when I am using it in Windows 7, that said I definitely like the look of it when it does work, but I will be sticking with WinXP Pro  "$Deal"$
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

allan_kuan1992

You might want a little more processing power too... or upgrade the GPU... both might contribute to your problem...

Memory seems fine though.

- Allan Kuan

frdrcklim

Remember what I said about it being unable to render properly SC4D? Well, I just viewed the 3RR thread and here's a little sample.

If you refresh, it will get a number of times until it renders it right and so, I can ignore that. This is unacceptable.

Well somewhat unacceptable. If you maximize it, it will render it correctly. It's not really that unacceptable, but it does give you a broken feeling.

I'm not sure if this is an improvement or a problem. I can see more of the picture at least :P.

Still hopeful that it will be fixed the way we want it though :).

Yep, I still got it.

Jonathan

Have to wait for Firefox to get all the new 7 features, (an address bar in the jumplist would be a nice idea), and whats great over Vista is that you can totally disable IE in Windows 7, using the Turn Windows Features On Or Off feature (in Control Panel>Uninstall programs)

Jonathan

Ryan B.

frdcklim - To get SC4D to render correctly in Internet Explorer 8 (as seen in those screenshots), click the 'Compatibility Mode' button to the left of the 'Refresh' button.

SC4D should show correctly then.

frdrcklim

Quote from: burgsabre87 on March 12, 2009, 08:15:14 PM
frdcklim - To get SC4D to render correctly in Internet Explorer 8 (as seen in those screenshots), click the 'Compatibility Mode' button to the left of the 'Refresh' button.

SC4D should show correctly then.

Thanks. Will take not of that ;)

Yep, I still got it.

frdrcklim

Just to let you guys know. About three weeks ago, Windows 7 Build 7100 or Release Candidate 1 was opened to the public. This Pre-release extends the deadline use from August 1, 2009 for the Beta to June 1, 2010 for the RC. That would mean that by the time Windows 7 is publicly released, which is said to be before 2010, you would still be able to use Windows 7 for free :o. There is a download deadline though, which is by July, 2009, which is still kinda far, but download away ;D.

Yep, I still got it.

Pat

wheres the linkie at mildirk???

BarbyW

I've been running Win 7 on my laptop and am pleasantly surprised. The only thing I can't seem to do is to move My Dcouments to my data partition. I have SUM, SC4PIM, SC4Mapper and SC4 all running with no problems. I ned to check SC4Tools but I think I have that working too.

Edit: I can get SC4Tool to run but it isn't reading all my plugins and seems to have no way to configure it at the moment.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

null45

That link is here

I got my copy on May 5th, the day the Release Candidate was released to the public and installed it on a virtual machine in Microsoft Virtual PC 2007.

I use it to test my programs under Vista or later  ;)

sithlrd98

Thanks for the link! Downloading now. Quick question: I have two SATA drives which I am dual booting x64XP and my x64 Vista installs (one per Disc)
Will I be able to install this RC over the XP install without killing Vistas BCD like x64 Xp did? It truly was a pain in the butt to fix!

Jayson

By the way I do have Vista Boot pro , so I guess if all else fails.....

frdrcklim

Sorry I wasn't able to give a link Pat. The thing is, you need to have Windows Live ID to download it. Oh yeah, you need a DVD-RW since the download is in a different format. Also, have a safe download. Word is that copies of the OS on other file sharing sites have trojans. It's the new trend so be careful and download straight from Windows :).

Yep, I still got it.