• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Windows 7

Started by frdrcklim, January 18, 2009, 01:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

No I didn't get the library working without being in a homegroup, but apparently(according to the Windows Help) if the folder is indexed on the PC it is on it should be able to be added, but I haven't got that to work.

I'm glad you got your headset working!
Jonathan

sithlrd98

Just to make sure we are on the same page ...is what you are trying to do is "map" a secondary drive but be able to see everything without having to actually "open"the mapped drive? If so , its actually easy. When I get home on my win7 machine , I'll try to explain to  you how I did it.

Jayson

Jonathan

I mean I want to click add location to library and then browse to Network>PCNAME>somesharedfolder
is that what you meant if you managed to do it then that's great it will be really useful.

Jonathan

sithlrd98

OK ,hopefully this may help you and others as  I'm still not sure which way you are trying and  since I mainly just have certain folders set-up in libraries , I don't use it for networking drives...but here is the way to do it 2 ways. Note , I have a lot of files between the 3 computers (2 on-line) and because of this , I did not complete  the "network" way , but had I , I am pretty sure it would work . I did notice 2 strange things...1 you will get a conflict if the network drive has a "recycler" folder , and some .exe files seemed to not want to transfer correctly (they also were showing conflicts).

You need full Admin privileges to do this.

The Easy way ...If you have multiple drives -NON Network-

As you can see , I have set up just for 2 sets of folders from each of my installs ...x64Vista (E) and x64Win7(C)
When you expand them , all of the files are right there , no need to open drive from My computer or My network places.

The Network way.....

First , Indexing has to be on. If you aren't sure , you can open Control Panel>Programs and Features> and then over to the left you will see  Turn Windows Features On or Off...

Now that it we know it is on , here is the easier (IMO) way of getting the drive/folder to be added. Click the drive/folders properties and select Always Available offline.

Now I want it to be put into the Documents Library so I right click the Documents library and a select Include a folder. Select whatever folder and then , if it is not being hateful , it should open up the Sync Center.

Again, depending on how much is being Synced , it could take a while. I gave up after an hour , but I was trying to Sync 17GBs (20,877 Files in 1,287 Folders...the smallest one I could find ) :)

Even though I did not allow it to complete , I think that this is the way . Also , if you get tired of it trying to Sync all the time , you will have to go into Control Panel> Sync Center>Manage Offline Files>and then Disable Offline Files. You will need to restart to finalize.

Again , this is the way I was doing it , and I may not be completely accurate.

Jayson

Jonathan

I was trying to get it done without making the files availableoffline as the network share I want to add is just 200GB. It says it's possible without making them offline. I'll try more as I haven't spent that long on trying to get it to work but it seems this should be really easy to do and basic.

Jonathan

BarbyW

One thing I haven't managed to work out yet is how to make the default location for my data to be on my data D:\ drive.  I have an 80GB system drive and a 160GB data drive. SC4 wants to use C:\Users\Barby as My Docs and SC4 put the My docs stuff there too when I installed. SC4Tool also defaults to the same folder for running as well. I can use a work around by only keeping the minimum plugins in that location and putting in folders as and when I need them but it is rather annoying. In XP it was easy but I haven't yet worked it out in Win7.

Edit: Reading through the SC4Mapper thread it seems as though the problem is the use of C:\Users\Barby as the My Docs default.  Mapper cannot cope with the U in the file path. Steph recommends moving the location of My Docs and that is where I come unstuck as explained above. Solving the locating of the MyDoc\SC4 folder may solve the mapper problem.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Jonathan

On the start menu, right click the Documents library, and then properties, click on include a folder and then browse to the folder on your D drive you want to include (you might have it included already?) then select it in the list of library locations and click Set save location and then apply and it should from then onwards save into the folder on the D drive(but it won't move anything already in your Documents folder on your C drive).

It doesn't like U s in the file location? What if someone has a U in their name? I think instead of everyone moving their documents folder it should be fixed if it can and if Steph has the time.

Jonathan

BarbyW

It isn't a case of having time for Steph as his laptop with the source code was stolen. He cannot do any editing of this now unfortunately.
With regard to the  Document library location I already have that set but SC4Tool doesn't recognise it and SC4 doesn't seem to either.

M4346

Quote from: BarbyW on July 24, 2009, 02:11:00 AM
Solving the locating of the MyDoc\SC4 folder may solve the mapper problem.

Unrelated, I know, but this did work for me on Vista
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

sithlrd98

Jonathan:I still don't get what you are trying to do...maybe I'm just over-thinking!

In order to get SC4 tool to work for me in both Vista and 7 , I had to manually edit the Settings.dat , making sure that there were not any unnedded spaces in the paths. I also had to do the same for Reader.

<settings>
  <data>
    <name>SortierKriterium</name>
    <value>A</value>
  </data>
  <data>
    <name>SortierKriteriumBAT</name>
    <value>A</value>
  </data>
  <data>
    <name>FarbSchema</name>
    <value>Standard</value>
  </data>
  <data>
    <name>SC4Path</name>
    <value>C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe</value>
  </data>
  <data>
    <name>SC4LocalPath</name>
    <value>C:\Users\Jayson\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins</value>
  </data>
  <data>
    <name>User</name>
    <value>Standard</value>
  </data>
  <data>
    <name>TL</name>
    <value>4235734432</value>
  </data>
  <data>
    <name>TU</name>
    <value>4235735432</value>
  </data>
  <data>
    <name>StartupProgramm</name>
    <value>0</value>
  </data>
  <data>
    <name>ShowIntro</name>
    <value>False</value>
  </data>
  <data>
    <name>TEModus</name>
    <value>E</value>
  </data>
  <data>
    <name>CreateBackup</name>
    <value>False</value>
  </data>
  <data>
    <name>FormatDate</name>
    <value>yyyy-MM-dd</value>
  </data>
  <data>
    <name>LanguageFiles</name>
    <value>Deutsch.xml!07!0;English.xml!23!1;Dutch.xml!12!0;Portugues.xml!02!0;Castellano.xml!19!0;Suomi.xml!05!0;Italiano.xml!09!0</value>
  </data>
</settings>

Reader---this was mainly because it could not see any of my SCdats nor could it find locale. It did not matter how many times I went through Readers options tab...It wouldnt work! I also put the FSHlib.dll(Vista version) in the main Dir. for good measure :)

[READER]
ORPHAN=0
ASKSAVE=0
AUTOFILL=0
AUTOLOAD=0
LOADING_MODE=1
SIDEBAR=1
PRELOAD_PLUGINS=1
HASH=2001
VIRTUAL_DAT=0
HEX_EDITOR=16
UI_PREVIEW=1
PROMPT_EXIT=1
LOCAL=C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\English\SimCityLocale.DAT
LOT=
LASTFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\Jayson\My Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\bf10 light_168e2fce.SC4Lot
SC4=C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe
FPRDIR=
DEF_FOLDER=
BUILDING_TWEAKER=blg_prop.xml
PROPERTIES=C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\ilive_reader093\tropod_Properties.xml
SC-FrP3=612,416,809,423
SC-FrH1=612,322,809,94
SC-MainFrame=1433,870,0,0
SC-OutBarCtrl=191,749,10,92
SC-Pane0=592,749,208,92
SC-FrameExemplar=1116,530,192,195
SC-CDlgFiltersEx=624,343,458,345
SC-CDlgFindEx=498,511,821,226
SC-CDlgFileInfo=423,243,788,320
SC-CDlgFilters=288,395,3,50
SC-DlgBuilding=983,518,235,176
SC-FrameNavigator=800,630,0,44
SC-CDlgCohort=394,402,161,273
SC-CDlgDatInfo=479,172,8,48
SC-CDlgIdxAnalyser=796,475,8,48
SC-CDlgLotTexture=695,596,8,48
SC-FrameCohort=800,530,0,44
SC-CDlgDirectory=665,402,8,48
SC-FastPreview=800,630,0,44

Jayson

Jonathan

I just looked it up on the net, and to move the documents folder is the same as in Vista(Or very similar):  http://www.w7forums.com/change-location-my-documents-folder-t338.html And I'm sorry about Steph's laptop, I hope he didn't loose too much.

Jayson: I am trying to add a network location to a library without making it available offline. It seems the indexing service was off. But I thought that was what made Vista and 7's search so quick?

Jonathan

BarbyW

As you can see SC4Tool is recognising my data drive but it doesn't seem to be working using this path:

Edit: Steph lost the source code for all his programs. With the help of some BSC members he was able to rebuild the X_Tool so that will be released evetually.

sithlrd98

Well Jonathan, I am sorry but since I have not researched how the libraries are supposed to function , and all the info I have seen is either from people who eat code for breakfast(Steph :D) and have hacked their systems to the brim , or from people who should not even be allowed to own a computer , I think we'll have to wait until someone explains it in some sort of understandable language.

On a side note , if the mapper/terraformer issue has to do with the location of the MyDocuments folder , is there a "settings"that is burried in the python scripts , or is it in the .exe? I don't code , and therefore I don't know how to check the python extensions.

Jayson

BarbyW

Used the info in Jonathan's link and it seems to be working now. Thanks, Jonathan.
Now to test SC4Mapper when my virus checker has finished scanning.

BarbyW

Double posting to say YIPPEE. Moving MyDocuments to D: has allowed SC4Mapper to work. I am a happy bunny  &dance %BUd%

M4346

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

sithlrd98

Maybe that needs to be added to the Mapper FAQ? Does Terraformer work? I gotta try that when I get home! Thanks Jonathan for the link!

Jayson

claydog

It seems that there are no simple questions presented here and everyone is a programmer or some computer guru. So I'll be the dumb guy  %confuso to ask those basic questions. Can anyone tell me (in regards to Windows7) if the basic SC4-RushHour works or is compatable. I also do not use the "Tool" everyone is talking about and do not Bat anything- just download alot of great custom content  &apls (Thanx). Is it any harder to install plugins with this new OS?

Also, I'm getting a new laptop soon (hopefully w/Windows7) and all I want to do is be able to have lots of power to play SC4RH with lots of custom content, without bogging down the computer. Do I need a seperate "partition"? And why would I need that and How does one go about creating that?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I only know Windows XP-not Vista, and I am not a programmer and I just want to be sure that before I plunk down a boat load of money for this laptop, that I can enjoy my beloved SC4 with all the bells and whistles!

Thank you, in advance, for any help or "schooling" anyone can offer me.
~Clay

P.S. I almost forgot; there is a good article here: www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1377837
  Called "Seven reasons to upgrade to Windows 7"

sithlrd98

Here is your answer: Yes, SC4Rushhour/Deluxe work just fine under the new OS. However SC4,  does have a issue when it comes to multiple cores.It is not related to how the OS handles SC4, but since you are contemplating the purchase of a new computer , there is a good chance it could have at least a dual core processor. I , my self have an AMD quad core and don't seem to have the issues that the Intel folks have.The other thing is this...if you intend on getting a computer that has a multi-core and is 64 bit architecture, SC4 is not necessarily going to set any speed records ,regardless of the amount of RAM you have, especially with gigs of content, because it is still a 32 bit program.

Hope that helps!

Jayson

Jonathan

EDIT:Bit late but I'll leave my post anyway,

SC4 installs and works fine, if not better on windows 7 than Vista for me. You do not need a seperate partition to download lots of content, you just need a big hard drive. A partition is only needed if you want to make 1 hard drive appear as 2 volumes in My Computer (like a C drive and a D drive). You also create a partition if you only have 1 hard drive but you want to have two operating systems installed, called dual booting. Making more partitions doesn't give you more space, in fact because SC4 only allows you to have Custom Content on one Hard Disk you will effectively have less space for custom content. So unless you want to dual boot say Windows XP or Vista and Windows 7 you don't need to create a partition.

If I haven't explained something very well or you want to know something else I can try my best. And I'm sure others will be able to add to or possibly correct what I've said

EDIT: I have an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and have had no problems with SC4 on 32-bit Vista or 64-bit 7. So it's possible not to have problems with multiple cores.

Jonathan