• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Mac, EXE, File Juicer and Simgoober's Lick A Chick Restaurant

Started by dahemac, January 18, 2009, 01:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dahemac

I am a Mac user. If I encounter a download with an EXE file in it I use File Juicer to extract the plugins and place them manually. This usually works well. Sometimes File Juicer adds to DAT file names but this is easily corrected. Other times it does odder things. When I try to extract the contents of the EXE for Simgoober's Lick A Chick Restaurant, I get 4 DAT files and no lot or model files. This is what I get:
SG_Install_LickAChick[377235]-31.dat
SG_Install_LickAChick[627363]-33.dat
SG_Install_LickAChick[129310]-12.dat
SG_Install_LickAChick[216610]-18.dat
SG_Install_LickAChick[169843]-15.dat
Is this EXE not File Juicable? Is there an alternate source for just the DAT, lot and model files ZIPed with no installer?

Simpson

Hi,
I'm a MAC user too
I use Darwine for .exe plugins, and it work very well  :thumbsup:

My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

bwatterud

Those dat files are the lot and model files "in disguise."  I don't know why, but on some installers, FileJuicer renames the files to the name of the installer with a bunch of numbers after them. Put them in your plugins folder, and it should work fine. 

dahemac

Quote from: bwatterud on January 19, 2009, 01:37:57 PM
. . . FileJuicer renames the files to the name of the installer with a bunch of numbers after them. Put them in your plugins folder, and it should work fine. 
Will it matter that the file extension is wrong, or are the lot and model files actually in DAT files?

callagrafx

I doubt it....the only time that should be a problem is when it's a dependency pack.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Andreas

As long as the files are not modified somehow, the game will read them, even without proper extension and such (at least it works that way in the Windows version of SimCity 4). The filename isn't important as well, except in cases where the loading order is critical (i. e. certain mods). I haven't downloaded said restaurant yet, but I'd assume you can determine which file does what by checking the filesize. A typical SC4Lot file is around 40 or 50 kB, if it doesn't have special additions, like custom UIs or query sounds. Separate SC4Desc files are usually not larger than 1 or 2 kB. In most cases, SimGoober packed all models into one DAT file, so the largest DAT of this set should contain the model(s).
Andreas

SimGoober

Sorry about the issues here.  I am not at all familiar with Macs, or File Juicer.  The five files renamed sounds right, as Andreas said.  There are three growable lots , about 40kb each.  The plop is about 117kb, and the main dat is 287kb. 

On a sorry side note, I just realised I made a little boo boo.  The query is included in the plop lot, not the main dat.... that is why the file size is bigger than the growables.  Ooopppss....
When life just blows ... Fukitol!

dahemac

Quote from: SimGoober on January 19, 2009, 06:07:16 PM
There are three growable lots , about 40kb each.  The plop is about 117kb, and the main dat is 287kb. 
Thanks everyone for the help. My only remaining question for Simgoober is, "What should the five DAT files actually be named?"
Provisionally, so I know what they are, I have named them as follows.
LickAChick_Grow_1.dat
LickAChick_Grow_2.dat
LickAChick_Grow_3.dat
LickAChick_Main.dat
LickAChick_Plop.dat

RippleJet

This is the list of files installed by the installer:

CS$2_3x2_SG_LickAChick.SC4Lot     
40 kB
CS$2_3x3_SG_LickAChick.SC4Lot
46 kB
CS$2_3x4_SG_LickAChick.SC4Lot
48 kB
SG_LickAChick.dat
287 kB
SG_PLOP_3x3_LickAChick.SC4Lot
117 kB

SimGoober

Actually, the names don't really matter.  It's just for your benefit; helps your remember what they area. You could name them anything you want, and they still work....
When life just blows ... Fukitol!

dahemac

This is great. Thanks for all the help. I look forward to my first LickAChick to pop up.