• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Modding: Getting Started

Started by ovekanegra, March 10, 2007, 07:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ovekanegra

Hi all
I'm fairly new to the customising of SC4, but I love what I am finding.
I have a few ideas for game components that I would like to try and create myself but I must admit that I am a little confused as to how to get started. I've downloaded the Lot Editor from STEX and even though I have not tried to use it yet in earnest I can see how it works, more or less, (any good tutorials on this would be appreciated).
OK Lot Editor will assemble the components into lots, fine, I think I follow that much, but if I want to make completely new components I need gmax? The links to this point only to a 30 day trial. Am I going to have to pay for this after 30 days, even if I don't use it commercially? If so what does it cost?
I've got heaps of potential questions about the process of creating game elements and a lack of reading material that might answer some of them.
Please could we have some posts of links, explanations, tutorials, walkthroughs, any and all information concerning getting started on creating game components so I can read up and experiment.
I would like to invite everyone to post here on the subject of creating components and mods from the most basic (mainly this and lots of it please), to the most advanced (how do I make this build itself half underground?) 
I post this in full reverence to Colyn's thread "Modders Beware" I've already managed to carelessly add a few very silly things from other sites that totally unbalance the game although I've not crashed it yet without retrieval. (there are copies of my cities, on another HD, naturally!) 
I really would like some guidance here so that I can get started on modding but get it right from the start with some balanced and experienced guidance.
Thanxs to all the team for a fantastic site, I've not been signed up for more than a few days but I'm already starting to feel very much at home here.
Ovekanegra     
You never know what is enough.
Until you know what is more than enough.
W Blake

jeronij

Wrong place to ask this... $%Grinno$%  Moving thread.....
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

ovekanegra

Whoops
Yes
Thanxs
Like I said...
New to here...
;)
W Blake

callagrafx

OK, firstly Gmax should be freely available here http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax. It's 100% free but you do need to register it.

Next you need BAT and LOT Editor from the Official site [ HERE ].  Install these when GMAX has been installed. You have to be registered at the official site and your game must be registered too.

Make sure you have downloaded the latest Patch file...As you are in the UK, I presume you will need this one [ HERE ] (the European SKU 2 one).

You will also need to download (from the BAT page) the Update BAT file (located on the left side under ¨Recommended downloads¨ and the Texture Fix.

Once you have all of those, read this tutorial at Simtropolis: Philippbo's BAT Essentials Tutorial

That should get you started.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

ovekanegra

Thanks Callagrafx ;D Just what I needed. I have just one more question before I disappear into studying up on this. Where do I download SC4 plugin manager, or does it come packaged with one of the other downloads from Maxis?
Cheers.
W Blake

callagrafx

It comes with the LE (I think)...But you will probably want to download the Unicode Fix from the Official site.  Simply copy the new PIM file over the top of the old one (Program Files > Maxis > Simcity 4 > Apps folder)
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

sarungman

hai call, i just wanna ask u sumthin .... what's patch_sku2_to_p1 ??? what will be fixed by installing this patch??? and the different from patch_sku2_to_p2???? aaa... one more.... unimportant question..... what's SKU stand for?
i have those those two patch, but i'm afraid to install them, because i' afraid my computer will be screwed up!! :P...
:::=:::=:::=:::=:::=:::

please wait for my return :D
-AsianEvolusioner AKA Sarungman

callagrafx

ovekanegra

Thanks again Call, that answers all my questions for the time being, I'm not at home this week and therefor I am on little Mac laptop which does not SC at all, but I have plenty to be reading up on for now :)
W Blake

sarungman

ooo.... thanks call, i didnt realize that i miss that section!!! :P
:::=:::=:::=:::=:::=:::

please wait for my return :D
-AsianEvolusioner AKA Sarungman