• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Should I wait till windows 7 before I get a new laptop?

Started by penguin007, March 14, 2009, 03:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

penguin007

Hi everyone at the moment my laptop a toshiba which I got about 4-5 years ago is starting to die under the weight of all my files (its only got a 60GB hard drive) and Ive been considering getting a new laptop for awhile...

...Then I heard about windows 7 and having heard not great things about vista thought should I wait or not?

I only use my laptop for music, homework and playing sim city so do I really need to wait for the new software?

Also does anyone recemmend any laptops with about 100GB hard drive, 2-3GB memory and 15-17 inch screen and about £400? I've seen some toshibas but thats about all I know

Thanks

Will

sarjm

Hi,
I am using Windows 7 Beta and personally think that even at the beta stage it is a far superior OS to Vista. I would wait, word is that Win 7 could be out this year. Do not wait too long though, development has started on windows 8.  ()what()
S.
ps I cannot advise on laptops as I've never used them.

frdrcklim

Quote from: sarjm on March 14, 2009, 03:50:37 PM
Hi,
I am using Windows 7 Beta and personally think that even at the beta stage it is a far superior OS to Vista. I would wait, word is that Win 7 could be out this year. Do not wait too long though, development has started on windows 8.  ()what()
S.
ps I cannot advise on laptops as I've never used them.

You must up to date my friend. I never knew Windows 8 was already in development after this post. Gonna do some browsing :D.
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

z

Quote from: penguin007 on March 14, 2009, 03:27:00 PM
I only use my laptop for music, homework and playing sim city so do I really need to wait for the new software?

Yes, definitely.  You don't want to be stuck with Vista for several years.  And Windows 7 has a much smaller memory footprint, which is especially important on laptops (and for Sim City players).

penguin007

Ok well basically my current laptop is giving up the ghost and I've been looking at laptops for awhile now.

I'm looking for:

around 250GB hard drive
3-4GB memory
A laptop which will probably be good for playing citiesxl when it comes out so a graphics card would be nice.

Thanks

simmaster07

Quote from: penguin007 on May 16, 2009, 05:32:30 AM
Ok well basically my current laptop is giving up the ghost and I've been looking at laptops for awhile now.

I'm looking for:

around 250GB hard drive
3-4GB memory
A laptop which will probably be good for playing citiesxl when it comes out so a graphics card would be nice.

Thanks
HP and Dell are (at least for me) good manufacturers, but that's just my opinion. You can still customize a Dell laptop with many parts and accessories so it suits you. Since Windows 7 hasn't been released to manufacturers yet, you'd be stuck with either XP or Vista. Just get a laptop with Vista Home Basic and do a dual boot with Windows 7. If you like it, keep it, but getting rid of Vista might void your warranty or something. ::) If you don't, you can always get rid of it.