• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

My laptop Suddenly shuts Down?

Started by Nexis4Jersey, May 10, 2009, 06:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nexis4Jersey

Recently my laptop has been Suddenly shutting down for no reason , then i start it back up and its ok.  At first it crashed when i was on SC4 , i thought that was the problem , but then last night it crashed while i was chatting on Windows live and & surfing the web..  Can somebody help me with this problem  ()what()

~Corey

dedgren

That's almost certainly overheating, Corey.  Get the computer checked out before it turns into a brick.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Ryan B.

I'll second the overheating notion of thinking.  I had the same problem. 

I ended up having to have the exhaust fan replaced.  If you don't want to spend that kind of coin, I would definitely recommend investing in a cooling fan system that goes underneath the laptop.

wes.janson

I use a seperate cooling fan with my laptop. I haven't had a problem with overheating in over a year now.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

Nexis4Jersey

how much do these things cost?  average?

~Corey

wes.janson

I paid between 20-30 bucks for mine at Futureshop, which, in Canada, is the same as Best Buy.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

turtle

Hey Corey,

Yeah, it sounds like overheating. I had the same problem, and I just opened it up on the backside and cleaned out the fan on the graphicscard. I also raise the laptop a couple of centimeters from the table surface when using it, so the hot air can escape from underneath it. If you use your laptop in places that are dusty (fx. in the same room as you sleep) chances are that this will happen occasionally, and you should just clean the fans. Try this before spending a lot of money on a cooler.

good luck
Thomas
My name is Thomas...

Nexis4Jersey

i raised it on some blocks , i noticed a huge change in temperature of the Laptop , its not burning hot , but cool or warm to the touch!

turtle

Well, I hope it will keep it from shutting down when playing SC4 then  ;D I would still clean out the fans once a while, though.

Just on a sidenote, my gfx processor runs at 75 degrees Celsius when idle, but I read on a hardware forum that it should be capable of running stable at even higher temperatures (up till around 100C), without taking damage. The problem arises when it can't get rid of the hot air, and thus thinks that the fans don't work making it shut down.
My name is Thomas...

Ryan B.

Thanks for all the tips, folks - 'cause now I'm in need of them.

I've got an overheating problem - AGAIN.  *facepalm*