• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Vista and Pat???

Started by Pat, May 17, 2009, 07:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

What can Vista do and not run with SC4?  I know Fishman is one of the programs is not user friendly with Vista...  The reason why I am asking is because tonight as a late christmas gift my wife bought me a new computer and it has vista... I am scared to unpack the new fangle thing as well honestly this is the first brand new machine I ever owned!!

System Info: (from the box)

Windows Vista Home Premium
23 inch LCD HD Monitor 1080 DBPI
E5300 Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor
6GB Memory
500GB HD
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
Super Multi DvD Burner w/Lightscribe Tech
15:1 Memory Card Reader
USB 2.0 & Firewire Ports
Norten Internet Security 2009
HP Media Smart Software Suite
Cyberlink DvD Suite Deluxe
Microsoft Works 9
Muvee Reveal Basic

OK so that is all the information I know about the new Paper weight lol and any help would beeee so loved and thank you!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

sithlrd98

The FSH problem is no more...checkout what Null45 and Jonathan created. Reader(for me anyway)was a little harder to set up as was SC4Tool. The game works pretty darn fast , but since you have an Intel dual core , you may/may not have a few issues. Its a little late here and gotta go to work in the morning , so if you don't get any more feed back , I'll drop back by.

Jayson

Pat

Hey Jayson thanks man!! I am not to worried about Fishman per say at all since I dont get into that aspect and havent yet lol.... But I am more scared about playing the game, SC4Tool, Reader, LE, and so on works... Like I said I haven't even cut the tape on the box yet lol.... But I do look forward to seeing what happens next and again thank you!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

sithlrd98

Hey Pat,
Supposed to be working , but boss is off this week so.....

OK , vista and .FSH files don't get along so regardless if you want to use FSHman or SC4Tool, you will need to replace a .dll file so that Vista will display them. Null45 re-did the .dll and it can be found HERE
The main issues I have had with both Reader and SC4Tool is that I had to manually set where my Plugins folders are as well as since I use the modified (Tropod properties  properties.xml in reader).
I have no idea I had to manually set them  but that is the only way that SC4Tool would see both folders , as well as reader and keeping reader from crashing. If needed , I can send you both configuration setting files , and you can just modify them to your needs.
SC4tool does not work with "Aero" enabled so you will need to turn off : visual themes , desktop composition & disable display scaling on high DPI settings so that it wont crash. Reader on the other hand works under "aero". DATgen , LEprop , etc. work fine as well.(although I am presently having isues extracting .FSH files in reader)

From what I understand , Terraformer or Mapper may have issues with Vista...can't remember if this is true as I haven't tried them yet.( I think it has something to do with x64 Vista which , since you have 6 gigs of ram , your probably running).
SUM , I think works , not sure again as I haven't tried it.
DatPacker and Cleanitol work fine.

Also , when you are installing programs , and this is the tricky part sometimes , you will see you have 2 program file directories. One is mainly used for x64  Apps , while the other (x32) for just about everything else.

Doing a quick search on the onboard video :GMA 3100 (Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 31000 offers up to 256MB of shared memory). Basically , you can play the game with not many problems , but if you have the cash , I would upgrade it since Vista already is a resource hog , even though you have 6 gigs , it's kinda like you only have 4- 4.5 (which is still a lot , but when you start adding a lot of content , well you know what happens!)

If I think of anything else , I'll drop back buy.
Have fun , I thought Vista would be terrible with these , but it really hasn't been too bad  :)

Jayson

Pat

Thank you Jayson I am a little less nervouse of unpacking the new paper weight now lol.... Now I just have to figure out how to get everything from this Emachine over to the HP...

Rayden

That's a very nice machine, but if it was mine, I would get rid of a few things like:

Change Vista to XP 64
Change the onboard graphic card for a good nvidia card
Get rid of all that software, including Norton, and install Kasperski instead.
Works, if I couldn't have an Office version, might have stayed.
Related to SC4, so far, I have all the tools and game working fine with Vista 64, except for Cogeo's new tool. However, this summer, I'm reverting my system back to XP, but this time the 64bit version.

sithlrd98

Quote from: Rayden on May 18, 2009, 09:17:11 AM
That's a very nice machine, but if it was mine, I would get rid of a few things like:

Change Vista to XP 64
Change the onboard graphic card for a good nvidia card
Get rid of all that software, including Norton, and install Kasperski instead.
Works, if I couldn't have an Office version, might have stayed.
Related to SC4, so far, I have all the tools and game working fine with Vista 64, except for Cogeo's new tool. However, this summer, I'm reverting my system back to XP, but this time the 64bit version.

I have to say , I have a dual boot x64 xp and x64Vista install (came with Vista but thought xp would be better) and the Vista install is the one I use 99% of the time!
I agree about the Antivirus(anything but Norton or Macaffe Pat!)
Open office baby! Forget about the 60 day trial of office!

Jayson

JBSimio

Hey Pat,

Despite what many people seem to say, I've been using Vista on both machines for quite a while now (32x on my laptop and 64x on my desktop) with very few SC4 related problems.  Yes... Vista definitely has a couple odd quirks and settings to be manipulated, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as I keep hearing.  I think you'll be just fine!   ;)

I would definitely agree with Silvio about the graphics card though.  I haven't used a "stock" card shipped with a computer in quite a few years and I bet it will be one of the first things you notice as well.   ::)

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

Rayden

Open Office is a good and costless choice. About Vista, I'm not saying it's not good, otherwise I would never be using it now, I just said that I'll be reverting to XP 64bit, just because it's better than Vista. I always said that Vista is a "fancy" version of XP with a couple of good improvements, which can be found on the XP 64bit version. ;)

Like I said, the only thing related to the game that still doesn't work is Cogeo's new tool, all the rest works 100% free of problems on my Vista 64bit machine.

Pat

Eeeeeeeeeeks OK now I am scared again!!!  I know how to play with the machine but other then that I am a total dummie lol.... I wouldn't know how to change out the graphics card of where to get here in Hodag Town?? Yea sure we got a Wally World and a Office Max and that is about it, also a computer hack who is really just that lol....

Jonathan

You should consider upgrading to Windows 7 when it comes out, (the Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate only though) come with a free XP Mode (a Virtual PC), so any programs that don't run in Windows 7 (if they don't work in Vista the chances are they won't work in Windows 7) you can run in a proper installation of XP. Also Windows 7 has many improvements over Vista.

Source 1 Source 2

I have managed perfectly well with Vista, though it did take some getting used to. And I have hated it when going back to a XP computer, and not sure I really understand why some people downgrade, unless of course it is a business or need to run a critical program that doesn't work on Vista.
I got Vista pretty early though, so a lot of drivers and software didn't have Vista versions, but now it is all much better. I'd stick with it personally(cheaper as well than buying XP)

I've tried Open Office before (admittedly a relatively long time ago) and didn't like it. Prefer Office 2007 by far, but my main issue was that most people use Office (well like my school which I send homework to and from) and Open Office didn't save in Office format (or it did but there were problems with formatting and such, I can't remember) but now I'm guessing that's changed.

Jonathan

Jonathan

sithlrd98

Pat , unbox the dang thing , set it up and try it out!  :D
I can only add a few things: If you are fairly certain that no one else is going to be messing around in there, make sure you set up your account as an administrator since a lot of programs need that due to Vistas' UAC. (which leads me to this) Turn off the UAC pop ups unless you like to repeatedly get the "so and so is trying to do such and such) message!

Also , the reason I suggest open office mainly is that it is free. It allows for opening and manipulating many of the same files that Microsoft Office uses natively. I had tried it a few years ago and hated it , much like I hated Vista , but a second look later down the road and I'm finding both to be very use full! I also use AVG as my antivirus , Firefox for web and thunderbird for E-mail , but that is just my preferences (*Results may vary*)

As far as your video card situation , here's the deal , I ran SC4 for years on a FX5200 with really no ill effects. It also was 256 megs which freed up my system memory , unlike your on-board. Try the game out and see if you need to drop the extra coin into a replacement.Sure, you may not get a huge WEI rating and maybe Aero kills the computer , if so turn off Aero...it may save you some headaches with legacy programs! All in all , if you aren't trying to frag people over the net , edit a blockbuster movie or compose a digital musical masterpiece (last one just thrown in for the heck of it) , this computer should provide a few years of quality use.....just as long as you remove some of that "Bloatware"!

Jayson

Pat

Hey Jayson, I know I plan on keeping my AVG as that is all I use for Anti-virus for sure!!! So I wont even play with that Norten blah lol... Oooh hopefully within the next hour or so a friend of my wife should be coming in to help me set up as he gots all the transferring programs since he buys and builds quite frequently lol...

Hey Jonathan, I might give windows 7 a shot for sure when it comes out most defintly... I am still scared though honestly but with everyone's help so far I feeling better just even getting this close...

BTW I did finally at least as of now unpack the darn thing lol.... MY GOD the monitor is a monster compared to my "old" current one lol...

Old Monitor:

Click me for full Resolution!!!

New Monitor:

Click me for full Resolution!!!

sithlrd98

Yeah , when I read your specs I got a little "display jealousy"! as I bought this 17 inch widescreen a few years ago. The banker , I mean the wife , didn't see why I went from a CRT to this , let alone why we need a bigger one. Of course , this from someone who likes her display resolution set at 800 x 600!

Have loads of fun setting it up and learning Vista! (It takes a while , but if your computer wasn't built on a Monday or Friday) it should go without a hitch ;D

Jayson

Ryusuke516

A good source for computer parts, (if you are looking for a video card), go to http://www.newegg.com/here. Personally, i recomend this video card (even though it may be a bit overkill for sc4) because it is not too expensive and it is fairly up to date. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187057 here. It is an Nvidia Geforce 9400GT PCI card with 512 Megs of memory There are cheaper video cards than this.

Also i have made a video on changing the video card http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKHczOxGCTshere. The one I installed in the video is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187058 this. It is an Nvidia Geforce 9400GT PCI card with 1 gig of memory.
The price has dropped a bit, but when i bought it, it was at aproximately the same price as it is now. These cards work for both vista and XP, but works better for vista than XP.

hopefully this helps. :)

Pat

Quote from: sithlrd98 on May 18, 2009, 03:13:05 PM
Yeah , when I read your specs I got a little "display jealousy"! as I bought this 17 inch widescreen a few years ago. The banker , I mean the wife , didn't see why I went from a CRT to this , let alone why we need a bigger one. Of course , this from someone who likes her display resolution set at 800 x 600!

Have loads of fun setting it up and learning Vista! (It takes a while , but if your computer wasn't built on a Monday or Friday) it should go without a hitch ;D

Jayson

OK I am on my new Toy now and Jayson OMG this screen is a killer eeeeeeeks!!! Dont worry lemme tell you that this monitor is more then I think I can handle lol!!! Its tooo much I was fine with my little monitor.... @ 100 % viewing everything now looks smaller where as it was before it looked large eeeks!!!!  Whats sad is this new computer has to sit to the side right now till we figure out to make it fit on the desk lol cause of the monitor is tooo big....

@ Ryusuke516 thank you a million there and I will most defintly check that out!!!!

sithlrd98

I'm sure you'll get used to that monster! It looks like you got the Pavillion a6847c-b ...correct? Upgradeable to 8 gb ram. I got a Pavillion a6650f , and just a few months ago , since I had only 6 gigs of ram but wanted to fill the board to 8 , got 2x2gb (4gb) ram off of newegg for around 40 bucks (all slots were full 2 1 gb sticks 1 2 2x2) ...so yeah check newegg for your pc wares! Congrats on getting it set up!

Jayson

Pat

OK Jayson, now where do I tell that part at lol  :D

sithlrd98

Which part? I looked at your thread over at Pegs , checked Sams.com , pulled the specs from  
HP [linkie]
  Not trademarked by David;D   (yours also can hold 8 gb ram)...pretty simple   :thumbsup:

By the way , whens the next podcast?

Jayson

Pat

LoL Jayson that be my toy lol... As soon as my friend comes back over tonight we are going to finish up the transfer and I am going to see if it works my Adobe Audtion 2.0... It should and I wouldnt see why not? Transfered to a WD 1TB exteranel HD lol...  So if it fires up ok on the new machine it will be out soon...