• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Vista and Pat???

Started by Pat, May 17, 2009, 07:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonshardz

Quote from: Pat on May 17, 2009, 07:54:28 PM
System Info: (from the box)

Windows Vista Home Premium
23 inch LCD HD Monitor 1080 DBPI
E5300 Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor
6GB Memory
500GB HD
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
Super Multi DvD Burner w/Lightscribe Tech
15:1 Memory Card Reader
USB 2.0 & Firewire Ports
Norten Internet Security 2009
HP Media Smart Software Suite
Cyberlink DvD Suite Deluxe
Microsoft Works 9
Muvee Reveal Basic

My recommendations:

• Keep Vista Home Premium, just turn off UAC and you're good to go. (Consider getting Windows 7 when it comes out)
  • Very nice monitor, keep that on the highest resolution your GPU can handle.
  • You may have some problems with SC4 and the dual-core, but they are easily fixed.
  • Good amount of RAM and diskspace, you won't have trouble with lag for a while.
  • Definitely get a better GPU, I recommend a nVidia 8600 GT or better.
  • GET RID OF NORTON!
  • Keep all the other preinstalled software, they're worth it!

That's about it.
[/list]

Pat

LoL thanks there Pat and I have pretty much worked on that so far... I am still having problems located and figuring out what everyone is babbling about UAC lol... But I have reinstalled my AVG on here so I wasnt even going to play with that Norton eeew lol.....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

sithlrd98

UAC (User Account Control)is that annoying pain in the butt dialog box that pops up every time you want to go to the bathroom LOL!

Now if you don't mind it...give some time , but you'll wanna shut it off sooner or later!

[linkie]   Disable User Account Control (UAC) the Easy Way on Windows Vista
linkie Not trademarked by David;D

Hope that helps!

Jayson

Pat

Thank you Jayson and I noticed that every time I wanted to sneeze too!!!

I think linkie is trademarked though but I'm grandfatherd for years now lol

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

sithlrd98

Just thought I'd bust your chops like Hal did mine ;D

Jayson

Pat

LoL Jayson oooh yea on the click for full resolution bit lol hehehee.... BTW UAC is dead now ehehehe!!! So I Should be able to play and install SimCity 4 now without a problem and all the tools?

sithlrd98

Since I am running a Quad core AMD , I didn't have the same issues that some with the Intel chip did. Somewhere in the forums , there is info on how to change the Afinity , so that x86 single core apps will run by shutting down the second core while playing games. You may not even experience any issues , just try and see if it crashes...mainly on scrolling and zooming I think.Supposedly Vista is set up to detect such issues and correct for it...supposedly ;D

Jayson

null45

User Account Control in Windows 7 is much better than Vista, Microsoft seems to have fixed UAC the second time round.
Quote from: sithlrd98Since I am running a Quad core AMD , I didn't have the same issues that some with the Intel chip did.
Multi-core processors are suposed to be better at things like some games and programs like 3dsmax  ;)

Jonathan

I have a Intel Core 2 Duo and have never had any problems with SC4 or anything else for that matter, so I'd try running the game before you make any changes.

Jonathan

Pat

OK Kewl thanks all and I am a bit of turn coat or I feel like one now lol.....

The other day I couldn't resist buying the SimCity Box and since it has Destinations in it well I been playing a bit lol.... But back to my SC4 for sure and I am glad now I do have a backup disk in case something happens to the ones I do got.... Even though on the Box it says its Sim City 4 and Rush Hour it aint its Deluexe lol.....

Jonathan

Sorry what's that game? 
Really Pat, what is the world coming to :P

Good you got the computer up and running!  :)

Jonathan

Pat

LoL yea no kidding there Jonathan I wonder whats happening myself eeeeks!!! Ohh BTW I did also buy Flight Simulator Gold Edtion as well lol... Even though I havent played it yet nor installed it either.... Its been one of those games you drool over and allways wanted and now you finally get your like now what lol... I umm ok that was wierdness?? I hit something on the keyboard and never ever had a message flash on the screen gaaah!!!! ooh it only was to tell me about cap locks lol....

sithlrd98

Quote from: null45 on May 19, 2009, 08:13:15 PM
Multi-core processors are suposed to be better at things like some games and programs like 3dsmax  ;)

Its a shame that I have all this computing power and only fire up G-max/Max every once and a while  ()sad()

Now on to Pat..............................

How dare you corrupt this site with images from a far inferior "knock-off"!

Seriously , once you get SC4 installed and patched , I would slowly start adding stuff and try to see if you are going to have issues with SC4.Like I said , it seems to be a mixed bag with the game. Some have zero issues , some like myself can't figure out why either of my GPU's like SC4, and some can't even get it installed or even start. It's like anything made these days...plug it in , cross your fingers , and hope that it dosen't suddenly have the idea to play Global Thermonuclear War!

Quote from: Pat on May 20, 2009, 09:59:19 AM
I umm ok that was wierdness?? I hit something on the keyboard and never ever had a message flash on the screen gaaah!!!!

Uh oh , I think it has begun!!!!

Quote from: Pat on May 20, 2009, 09:59:19 AM
ooh it only was to tell me about cap locks lol....

Whew....that was a close one.... :D

Jayson

Pat

Hey Jayson I could have been up and playing SC4 now but since 1pm cst been fighting forest fires... I had to actually leave the scene to go home and get cleaned up to come to work where I am at now.... uughh I could use a good nap... but rest assured I am going to play when I get home  ;)

I know I am bad by showing that pic but I thought I would never play any thing other then SC4.... Oooo OOO whats that Global game you talking about ehheheeh??

sithlrd98

Hey , thanks for the job you do!!!! I know that many of us appreciate what 'yall do!

Jayson

Pat

Its nothing there Jayson honestly.... I know my boss supports me to a point and since I was on the call waaaaay before my scheduled shift he was figuring I wasn't going to come in at all lol.... I told him I was ordered by my assistant chief to call it a night after all day and since being sick all last week she didn't want me pushing any more!!! Since the next fire we was going to be going to had already burned about 80 + acres as of 5pm...

My boss laughed at me  $%Grinno$% but was happy I did show up tonight... As of right now I am glad I did come here cause my department is still at the other fire ugggh I would have killed myself lol...

Pat

Well I got SC4 installed and I played Vanilla no problem... I took the plunge got the update's and then put in my plugins for laughs and grins OK no problems all is good.... But the problem I am noticing is I am having Zoom crashes which I never had a problem with before... But with 3.45 gigs of plugins and the load time is less then a minute or soo its sweet so I guess I can live with it lol...

allan_kuan1992

Zoom crashes? Try using software rendering. ;)
Make sure that your game is also run with all compatibility settings and that is applied to all users in the shortcut.

Game settings (at least on my computer with ATI graphics card) sometime aren't saved in hardware rendering so my game has to run software mode.
Despite that my game has run more or less smoothly for the last 6 months (with a few minor random crashes). ;D

Your video card capability is... um... lacking? &mmm An upgrade is highly suggested. However, if you don't have the time at the moment to buy it, you can save resources for SC4 by shutting down explorer.exe and some other non-essential processes. You can also disable anti-virus but of course make sure that your internet is disconnected in that case. I've done this ever since I started playing SC4 (on both XP and Vista). :)

- Allan Kuan

Pat

Hey Allan thanks man!!

JBSimio

Glad you've had a chance to start playing with the new toy, Pat!  If you're experiencing more zoom crashes than in the past, I would bet that it has more to do with your graphics card than anything else.  (I would seriously doubt it has little if anything to do with vista.)  There's always been a problem with trying to change zoom levels while moving the map at or close to the same time.  If your graphics card is lagging behind, the window between doing those two things at once can be even longer... and crashes more common.  I get the same thing on my laptop a fair bit where the card isn't that great.  I understand your dilemma with being out in the sticks... but you could always just order a card from Best Buy online (or similar) and they'll send it right to your house.  Although if you don't feel comfortable putting it in yourself, I guess I'll just have to hop a plane and visit some people in Eagle River!  ;)

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion