• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Vista and Pat???

Started by Pat, May 17, 2009, 07:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sithlrd98

Just to add...If you , for some strange ,crazy reason are running Aero , Sidebar , etc on that card...turn those off as well. Also , if you are still experiencing this in software mode , than it may have more to do with your processor. As I said before , some Intel multi-core users had issues with the game , since it was written back when single core was what was available. I will say this , I ended up using the AMD optimizer in order to play with out zoom-crashes , even though many people on the net said it was un-necessary in Vista! And , just popping over to Newegg , there are 150 cards under 50 bucks , so even if its not a dual Sli or one that is the best in the world,at this point anything's got to be better than what you've got!

Jayson

frdrcklim

So you got yourself a new rig :). Well, I dun have much to say. Everybody said what I would say. Ditch the bloatwares. Ditch the GPU and get an NVIDIA 8800 or up for 8 series or 9600 or up for the 9 series. For ATI, get a 3850 and up for 3XXX series or 4XXX series.

Decent graphics cards are cheap now. Believe me, a few months ago I saw this expensive card. It was about 25,000.00 PHP (1 USD = 41~43 PHP back then), but now it's only 12,150.00 PHP (That's more than half) with 1 USD = 47~48 PHP ;). Oh yeah, that card was the NVIDIA GTX 280.

I didn't know you play SC:S $%Grinno$%. How long have you been hiding it :D?
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

Pat

lol there mildirk I just only play SC: S now on the new rig...  I am looking into getting the diffrent graphics card but that will be a bit down the road....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

frdrcklim

You can get a 9600 GT if you wanna save money. I have a 9600 GT and I think it's less than 100 USD right now. You can play games at respectable graphics settings and resolutions with that card and you don't need a big power supply (about 400-500 Watts will do). It's a saver ;D. But the Rule of thumb for gaming is to never use an Intel graphics chipset ;).

Yep, I still got it.

Pat

Hey there Mildrick thanks for the idea and I did find that card at wal mart last night honestly... Funny thing it was in the clearance isle for only 30.00 usd!!! Heres the bad thing my monitor is 23 inches and it supports up to only 19 and it says it right on the box siiiiiiigh, go fig my luck..... OK so why I am coming back here is that after my absence due to health and lack of playing SC4 I went to fire up the game yesterday and it wont load at all!!! Now a wee while ago I was able to load it testing some fire trucks (BTW here linkie must say awesome set of trucks too BTW  ;)) for Chris aka Gwail... I have tried to restore points and everything and plugins removal and nothing...  I am stressing out here cause I was going to work on challenge 7 and then 8 yesterday but cant do that now...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Pat

I had a brain fart today and man it was a good one lol... I was digging out the repacking tut for vista users and in the mean time I was looking at my core files IE Sim City 1 and so forth.... I noticed something odd on SC1 the date and the size of the file was zero and the date was 9/9/09 2 pm modified hmmmmm!!! ding ding there was my problems!!! god I feel like a dork now lol... Its a good thing I have a back up of the files on my external hard drive and so I went on there and poof game started right up!!! YAY!!!

nerdly_dood

I've learned the hard way that Vista was not made to be loved... Quite the contrary. :thumbsdown:

Good thing you got SC4 back up and running though.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

SC4BOY

I wouldn't give up on that Intel video processor until you try it.. that particular unit has had some nice things said about it.. of course nothing stops you from adding a new card anytime...  System looks very nice.. Will be interested in how it all works out for you

Pat

So I still can get it even though its for up to 19 inch monitor and I got a 23 inch monitor?

j-dub

Wish I found this thread, and got here sooner to say that if anything, Vista actually seemed to load up SC4 faster. I have this game running on a 28 inch, wide screen. Where did it say Exactly about the 19 inch limitation?

dragonshardz

I beleive that it was that the video card was deisgned for use on a 19 inch screen.

Pat, don't worry about it. The video card should work just fine, and at worst you'll have some "black space" on either side of your display.

Pat

J-dub it said it right on the back of the box... Recommended for up to a 19 inch monitor..

hmmm so if anything a little blackness that wouldnt be to bad there then Pat thanks!!!  Now just hopefully it will still be there when I can get back to wal mart  :)

frdrcklim

Quote from: Pat on September 19, 2009, 12:23:26 PM
Hey there Mildrick thanks for the idea and I did find that card at wal mart last night honestly... Funny thing it was in the clearance isle for only 30.00 usd!!! Heres the bad thing my monitor is 23 inches and it supports up to only 19 and it says it right on the box siiiiiiigh, go fig my luck..... OK so why I am coming back here is that after my absence due to health and lack of playing SC4 I went to fire up the game yesterday and it wont load at all!!! Now a wee while ago I was able to load it testing some fire trucks (BTW here linkie must say awesome set of trucks too BTW  ;)) for Chris aka Gwail... I have tried to restore points and everything and plugins removal and nothing...  I am stressing out here cause I was going to work on challenge 7 and then 8 yesterday but cant do that now...

Wow, that sure was a bargain for only 30.00 USD. Too bad it doesn't support the 23". You sure have a big monitor. Mine's a wee little 14" screen. But there are other graphics card out there that are both decently powerful and inexpensive for your needs :).

Yep, I still got it.

dragonshardz

Personally, if I could get any video card, I'd get a nVidia Geforce 275 GT. And of course, the new mobo I'd need.

frdrcklim

Yeah. Wish I could get an GeForce GT 275, but my wee-little 500W PSU couldn't take it &mmm.

Yep, I still got it.

dragonshardz

I think my PSU is around 800W, but I haven't checked recently so I don't remember. To be honest, I'd probably have to get a new PSU anyway since the 275 doesn't get power from the mobo but directly from the PSU. I'd probably need to get new RAM and CPU as well, since the RAM I have now might not be compatible with a new mobo and I could use a better CPU anyway. Basically I'd be replacing all my hardware except for my HDD and PCI USB cards. Oh, and the case.

dragonshardz

You mean buy a new computer? No thanks, I hate pre-builts with a passion. And yeah, basically when I upgrade my PC the only things I'm saving are my HDD, my case, and the PCI USB cards I have. Everything else (RAM, GPU, CPU, mobo) goes to my little brother.

dragonshardz

Well, yeah, it would be building a new computer. Upgrading everything and just migrating a few parts over (HDD, PCI USB cards) is basically building a new one.

I think I got confused somewhere in here...anyway, what was the topic again?