• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Macs: PowerPC or Intel

Started by Jonathan, May 18, 2009, 11:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

At the moment each person in my family has an email address,(not a webmail one, it came from the ISP) but the only problem is they can only be access on computers that have their details saved. And if more than one PC has their details then the emails will appear on which ever computer has clicked send /receive first. Is there some way of downloading them all to one PC and then from a browser or something on the other computers be able to login and view their own emails, then eventually be able to access the emails over the internet? (the ISP has a webmail on it's website but it's rubbish)?

Jonathan

wouanagaine

You may check for a 'leave mail on server' option on your mail application
This way each one will be able to download all mails even if someone else already get them
The next step is to go onto each PC and then on the mail account of the owner and do not 'leave mail on the server' for this one. So this way he'll be able to download his mail and delete them

Another way is to have everyone his own windows account, which have only access to his own mail account

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

Jonathan

Everyone has their own windows account, except they are on separate PCs, so you still can't access your email on a different PC, and having an account for each person on each machine (1 laptop and 2 desktops) doesn't seem feasible. Also I have had the leave mail on server option ticked before but have kept getting emails that our quota is too full. Really it'd be great if they could all be downloaded to a main computer and then each computer goes to that PC to get the emails.

Jonathan

cogeo

The last feature you mention is called "a mail server" - and it must be running continously, and have a static IP, if the "other" computers (the "clients") must be able to access it throgh the web - and not just through the "intranet".

Web-based mails (gmail, yahoo) are the best, these mail servers are better for companies.

Jonathan

I use hotmail for most of my email. But sometimes I have to use my ISP's one (what is that called?) because stupidly not allowed to send email to hotmail address from school. And will take a while to switch everyone who knows our email addresses to a new webmail one (though the advantages of webmail are obvious)

I have looked at a Mail Server, but it seemed that it was a different new email address, that could only be used on a network (not the internet).

Jonathan

wouanagaine

I'm pretty sure your ISP mail have an option to automatically forward mails to another address. I'm pretty sure you can forward thoses mail to your hotmail account, which gives you a one point access to all your mail

And why do you say you can't have an account for everyone on every PC ? If you don't have an account on a PC it seems reasonable you can't access your mail ( security reason ). I have the same configuration as you ( 2 laptops, 1 desktop ), and apart from my own laptop, the 2 others have a window account for every family member, which in turn have only access to their own mail account.

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

Jonathan

But if there was an account on each computer how would the accounts have the same files and settings etc as each other? I'm guessing that the files could all be put on a network share. But how would you get the settings, like wallpaper etc to be the same on each PC?

Jonathan

wouanagaine

Actually I made my accounts for mails only. I don't have an account profile sharing setting.
From what I understand of your configuration and usage, the best way would be to redirect your ISP mail to hotmail

New Horizons Productions

Jonathan

Going to buy my first Mac, second hand because I'm never going to be able to afford a new one.

So is it better to get a PowerPC or Intel based Mac? There is a mac Ibook laptop based on PowerPC and a MacMini based on Intel both currently in my price range.

I don't currently have a laptop (would love one) so that's a big advantage to me. And the Mac Mini has higher specs than the Ibook, so that's also an advantage to me.

Also the Ibook is currently £20 cheaper than the Mac Mini

Jonathan

callagrafx

Quote from: Jonathan on September 07, 2009, 11:56:49 AM
Going to buy my first Mac, second hand because I'm never going to be able to afford a new one.

So is it better to get a PowerPC or Intel based Mac? There is a mac Ibook laptop based on PowerPC and a MacMini based on Intel both currently in my price range.

I don't currently have a laptop (would love one) so that's a big advantage to me. And the Mac Mini has higher specs than the Ibook, so that's also an advantage to me.

Also the Ibook is currently £20 cheaper than the Mac Mini

Jonathan

Without a shadow of a doubt, Intel.  However, the Mac Mini is a bit of a waste of money and is a bit of a cop-out by Apple to get into the cheaper end of the market.  What's your budget?  Look around for Macbooks as you may be able to pick one up second hand reasonably.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Jonathan

My budget, is under preferably under £100 definately under £200.

It's probably asking loads, if not impossible, judging by the price of the new Macs.
But I really don't need some hyper-modern Mac, just of the line. I don't need massive power either.

Seeing as the difference between Mac Minis (who come up with that name it's sounds like something from MacDonalds :) ) and the higher range is just more power and a massive price tag, which for is not worth it.

Jonathan

callagrafx

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Jonathan

Sadly that went for £420, so I didn't buy it. But I bought an iBook for £176.

It seems a reasonable spec, but there is only 512MB of RAM, which is ok but ideally 1GB. So is there a way to upgrade the RAM? How easy is it(I have built my PC, but I understand you can't build your own Mac so what about upgrading) If there isn't it's fine, just as an extra it would be ok. and of course the price is the biggest factor.

callagrafx

What's the laptop model exactly and what type of RAM?  You can find out by going to the Apple menu (top left) and selecting About this Mac.  Let me know what what RAM it requires (DDR2 etc) as I may have spare memory that would fit.

Andreas

If the RAM wasn't upgraded already, it's probably this one: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP43
Andreas

callagrafx

If it's that machine, it'll still be a PC2700 DDR chip....I'll have a look and see if I still have one.  The problem with laptop memory is "additional RAM" generally means "replace the current chip" so I have loads of the bloody things..no point trying to ebay them.

Jonathan

The Laptop hasn't arrived yet (I only won the auction just before I posted, and it's due tommorrow) So I don't know the exact model etc.

But it is a iBook PowerPC G4 1.2Ghz(or 1.3Ghz) CPU, and 512MB RAM, and 12" screen

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130329596984

Andreas

Judging from the graphics chip, it's the one I linked above. :)
Andreas

Jonathan

Thanks Andreas and Cal,

Cal, I'm not sure about the RAM upgrade anymore as I need to upgrade the OS to 10.5(Leopard), Looking at the minimum requirements for the OS it seems I can upgrade. So can I just buy a disc off ebay, or will certain only work on certain Macs? (I heard something like that) Also is it important if the Leopard disc is part of a "boxset", does that limit instalation?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have never used or really thought about macs before.

Jonathan

callagrafx

What sort of "box set"?  Normally with OS X if it's a disk that's shipped with a computer it's restricted to that type of computer.... i.e. A disk for an Ibook won't install on an Imac.  Only standalone OS X disks or upgrade disks will work across the board.  As for the RAM, see my PM.  Also, Leopard will be the last version of OS X you will be able to install...Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6) is Intel only.

Edit:  This is what you will need:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mac-OS-X-Leopard-v10-5_W0QQitemZ150371822083QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Software_Software_SR?hash=item2302dbea03&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14