• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your... railroads and GLR

Started by threestooges, March 25, 2007, 05:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestooges

Pat is right about the bridge design (though I am planning to add some footings at the ends) and there are pillars, just for longer spans. The way I understand the physics behind the bridge design (and please correct me if I am wrong) the weight from the train on the tracks pushes down on the bottom beams. The force is transferred to the vertical metal bars which then transfers the force to the top beams which then enters the crossed beams and works to push the bridge further into the sides of the gap. However, footings would be very useful (visually and otherwise).

-Paul: nice work with the station combinations. As far as I know the NAM puzzle pieces produce people (though I think the quantity has been toned down a bit) but if I recall, visual settings require a slightly closer zoom to see them which might make that pic a bit difficult. Great job though.

-Bernhard: It is wood indeed. the bridge I modelled it from didn't have supports and it was fairly long. However, I have made supports for the bridge. Its just that the distance to be covered by the bridge puts it just outside the range of a pillar piece (I'll look into changing that). While wood doesn't necessarily have much flexibility, this has been a surprisingly sturdy bridge (but again, supports and footings are in the works).

-Pat: Please don't be intimidated. The more that is shown, the better. To rephrase a quote: the only bad picture is the one not shown. If you're looking for ways to improve technique, you're sure to get some good advice here (I mean look at what I've received so far for my bridge...thanks again to everyone who's commented on it, it's really helpful).

Well that was surprisingly long, but I'll try to make up for that with a revised bridge pic sometime soon.
-Matt

j-dub

How about Rail to GLR? NAM makes it possible. Rail and GLR not only can connect, but it seems to have transfers w/o disapearing automatta. Not pictured but freight will go over too. Hopefully RAM can connect highspeed/mono to either one as well. Anyon else try this?

threestooges

Now that is a new one. You just attached puzzle pieces of both transit types? Have you checked to see if commuters actually use it or if it is just a visual thing? Either way, well done. Good experimentation.

Andreas

Actually, that's old stuff. ;) Tropod once created a rail/el-rail connector by using a Japanese ramp model, and that was in 2005 or so, way before anyone thought of GLR. There are still paths for rail, so the automata can use el-rail/glr tracks as well, but I wouldn't recommend this setup, since rail passengers can't use el-rail/GLR stations, obviously.
Andreas

Diggis

Actually Andreas this is not uncommon in the real world.  Just last weekend, while there were engineering works going on in London the trains were using the Tube tracks (at least where they were overground) to get around the works.

Are you saying that the GLR/ELrail paths are the same paths as the normal rail?

j-dub

@ andreas If it just was to get from one place to another without stopping, this isn't a problem right? I had only planned connection in my city for just what you said, to get rail to connect to el-rail over road to pass through dense areas of the city, so I have a double decker network, versus the rail puzzle piece system. I thought it would be okay after blahdy's car to subway connections via big dig, so why not substitue el-rail for this?

Andreas

@Diggis: I don't know enough about paths and such, so I can't tell more about the inner workings, but I would assume that such a setup can confuse the pathfinding engine, and this is not exactly something that we would want.

I do know that there are places in the world where rail and light rail share the same tracks; actually, there is one system not very far from here, in Karlsruhe, Germany, where the regional S-Bahn turns into a tram within Karlsruhe.
Andreas

Henry Midfields

For something slightly different, most subway lines in Tokyo have direct-thru services with regional lines, up to a certain station, although the subway lines are not third-rail-powered, but have overhead power lines.

Nardo69

Some days in 56K exile and my favorite "show us ..." - thread is descending into the depth of the forgotten ...  ()sad()

So It is the right time to show up gain I guess ...  ;D

My current candidate in the picture competition:

Two other, same area, different views:

Have fun!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

Edit:
This is one of the transition in Karlsruhe where tramway becomes railway and vice versa. The Tramway section ends at the signal. The red motorcar in the background is a Regio Runner of the Deutsche Bahn, the yellow and white motorcars in the foreground are tramways of the AVG/VBK, the local railway company that runs the tramway network in Karlsruhe as well as a lot of metro lines with together more than 600 km length!

bat

Excellent railroad pictures, Nardo69! Fantastic work! :thumbsup:

Fairlane500

Here's some railroads that run through a new industrial area I'm working on.

bat

Nice picture of these railroads and freight trains!! Also the highway and roads are good!! :thumbsup: Nice industry area!

Nardo69

@fairlane: Great one - it has that gritty atmosphere! I just don't understand why you put that single road in between the railway tracks ...  ()what()

This one is a side product of my new chapter in my "Thoughts" - thread. I though it deserves it to be shown in an adequate size:

threestooges

-fairlane: Aside from the oil refinery that pic reminds me of a spot near Sacramento, CA (at least I think it was near there). Great work, very realistic.

-Bernhard: Nice pic you have there. Your "thoughts" thread is a great source for railroad info. I'll be keeping an eye out for that signal update you've mentioned and I'm going to look through that station part when I get some time.
-Matt

tag_one

Great station Bernhard :thumbsup: It really reminds me to those stations you see in rural villages :)

Nardo69

@threestoges: Some signal props are still under construction that is why I just reserved space for that signal tutorial ;)

@tag_one: Thanks! Actually that was my intention .. :)

It seems that it is up to me to keep this thread alive ...  :D

From my latest Mini update:

Have fun!

Toichus Maximus

freedo50

Awesome pic there Tochius! The only suggestion I could make would be to put the railway track texture under the train too.

Fred

Godzillaman

Quote from: Warrior on May 11, 2008, 08:36:38 AM
Cool pic, how did you get the single track?

Looks like photoshop, as the track fades away underneath the train.
"With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound he pulls the spitting high-tension wires down..."