• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Recovering stuff from an old hard drive

Started by Ajax, June 09, 2009, 06:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ajax

A few months ago my PC became useless due to what I thought was an issue with the power supply.  Unfortunately, when I installed a new one, the problem was not fixed.  Now I have enough saved to buy a new PC and am wondering if it will be possible to pull the HD out of the old one and put it into the new one.  (I had been backing up to an external HD, but had gotten out of the habit of backing up on a regular basis.  I can get about 75% of my SC4 stuff from it, but would like to get 100% of my SC4 stuff plus a few other things off the old HD.)  Will there be an issue with the old OS(XP) on the old HD conflicting with Vista on the new one?  I have only done basic PC upgrades in the past (i.e. RAM and vid cards) so am entering new territory.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

dragonshardz

There shouldn't. As long as you boot into Vista, you should be able to access all files on the drive. I would recommend copying everything on the new PC that is important to you to an external hard drive before installing the old HDD. Also, disconnect your computer from the Internet while doing the file transfer, as there could be viruses on the old HDD that you don't know about.

FrankU

Ajax,

When I buy a new computer I usually move my old HD into the new computer. Of course after having deleted the operating system. I then use this HD as an internal Backup disk. That is the fastest way of copying stuff to the new computer. And it is safe. And cheap.

Ajax

Thanks for your help.  Since I can't power-up the old PC, I have no way of deleting the old OS, but according to dragonshardz, that shouldn't be a problem.  Thanks again.

JoeST

you are advised to reinstall, due to driver issues between different hardwares. but it isnt necessary
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms