• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Game crashes then i place Artificial Tree

Started by ignas2526, July 27, 2009, 06:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ignas2526

Hello,
I getting strange issue, my game crashes then i try to pace Artificial Tree can be downloaded here. Game crashes in certain situations then I trying to place tree, more info about how to make crash here.
No one who uses windows managed to reproduce crash, so this is Mac Sim City issue. I have freshly installed Sim City 4 Rush Hour game by Aspyr.
Any ideas how to fix crash, and have you managed to reproduce crash?
Thanks.

M4346

Hi ignas2526,

I understand that this is a game play issue, but am going to suggest that you inquire about this at Pegasus' forum as he created and is / should be responsible for supporting the content he releases.

That having been said, I am sure there are dedicated individuals over here that will assist when your cry for help goes unanswered.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

BarbyW

The above links are to Peg's site and so far no one has been able to help.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

M4346

Ah, yes, well then I hope the competent and dedicated individuals over here will fill the void.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

ignas2526

Well this is game related issue, because it happens only with Macintosh game version, that's why I posting it here...

RippleJet

The problem with the Artificial Tree is certainly not Mac related.
It's another lot having the Immortal Lot Syndrome.

The building is centered 7.74 m off the left-hand edge of the lot.
However, the occupant size of the building exemplar has been purposely tampered with and increased to 15.5 m.
Thus, the building now overhangs the lot on the left-hand side by 0.01 m.

If plopped anywhere in the middle of the city, that would cause the neighbouring lot on that left-hand side to become immortal, meaning you wouldn't be able to bulldoze it and if you'd query it, you'd get the Artificial Tree's query instead.

When plopped next to the edge of the city, the game crashes, since the left-most coordinate of that building becomes invalid for the savegame format.

SC4BOY

I've used that lot MANY MANY times and never observed the "inherited" problem characteristic of immortal lots. But of course, perhaps its just serendipity so I tried a quick test. This "clean tree" doesn't have the problem as shown here (I don't show the menues, but trust me they're there.. :) )

It may be the cause of the "edge" issue (although as mentioned it has been tested by others and doesn't fail in a Windows environment.. which I also have) as I didn't test that, but apparently there is some limit that doesn't exhibit the "inherited menu" issue and this seems to be it.. :)

edit: Hmm.. curiousity got the better of me, so I went back and tried the "edge plop" issue.. I had absolutely no problem. I tried it on all edges (both of the tile and of the total map) under both the conditions of no adjacent tile and the condition of adjacent tiles.

Conclusion: Whatever the issue is, it doesn't seem to relate to the "overhang" issue at all. The lot behaves just as though that condition didn't exist. I'd still go back to either a MAC vs WINDOWS issue (possible but probably not) or a revision/ upgrade/ version issue.. (I believe this to be highly likely.. just imo)

RippleJet

There does seem to be a small allowance on the overhang, as I'm not able to trigger the immortal lot syndrome with it either (on Windows XP).

However, the building is definitely overhanging.
The image below shows its building record (in Wouanagaine's SC4 Save program) in the Building Subfile (Type ID 0xA9BD882D) of the savegame,
after the Artificial Tree (TGI 0x6534284A, 0xF38748F8, 0x73C9A680) has been plopped next to the western edge of a city,
facing a road on the southern side (thus, the left side of the building overhangs the edge of the city):

As you can see from the minx property, it is indeed -0.01 m (this is measured from the left edge of the city).
That value may well be treated differently in Mac (having the order of significant bits reversed).

However, at the same time the xMinTract is still 0x40,
which is the first tract next to the western edge (a tract is 4×4 tiles).
I was expecting that to be 0x3F in this case...

Quote from: SC4BOY on July 29, 2009, 03:57:58 AM
Conclusion: Whatever the issue is, it doesn't seem to relate to the "overhang" issue at all. The lot behaves just as though that condition didn't exist. I'd still go back to either a MAC vs WINDOWS issue (possible but probably not) or a revision/ upgrade/ version issue.. (I believe this to be highly likely.. just imo)

I am enclosing a modified version of the Artificial Tree, where the Occupant Size has been reduced to 15.0 m wide (instead of 15.5 m).
This matches the width of the building's footprint in the LotConfig exemplar and thus it won't be overhanging.

I would ask ignas2526 to replace his current PEG_ArtificialTree_100.dat with the one enclosed here, PEG_ArtificialTree_100_FixedByRJ.dat.
If you're able to plop this one without getting a CTD, then we can certainly say it's due to the overhanging building.

SC4BOY

Quote from: RippleJet on July 29, 2009, 12:05:36 PM
However, the building is definitely overhanging.

I certainly never doubted your statement.. ;)

QuoteI am enclosing a modified version of the Artificial Tree, where the Occupant Size has been reduced to 15.0 m wide (instead of 15.5 m).
This matches the width of the building's footprint in the LotConfig exemplar and thus it won't be overhanging.

Sweet...

ignas2526

Hello,
I was busy these days, so haven't got chance to check fix.
Problem solved, game doesn't crash then I use fix!
Thank you all for helping!

RippleJet

Excellent, ignas2326! Yet another cause of CTD identified! :thumbsup:

One that only occurs on a Macintosh this time...
as opposed to the puzzle piece CTD, which doesn't occur on Macs...

ignas2526

Have anyone else from Mac users tested that lot and fix?

SC4BOY

Indeed I'm quite curious since you said you don't have a properly patched version, I'm interested in hearing from someone who does.

EDIT: At least one MAC user with the EA released "patched files" (though not the Aspyr binary.. whatever that is.. I'm not a MAC user) and the original lot caused no problems whatever in any orientation or in any combination of "edge use"