• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Cable Splitter?

Started by Squalled, February 18, 2010, 12:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squalled

I have just got a brand new TV to go in my room, and it has an AVG port on the bottom of it. I want to be able to connect my PC to the TV to watch movies and TV shows on it, but still be able to use my PC moniter (also on a VGA Cable) to do work (and play SC4 of course  :P). What VGA cables/switches can I buy so that I can connect my PC to my Moniter AND TV at the same time?

Jonathan

Most computers nowadays that have graphics cards, have 2 outputs, mostly they will have one DVI output and one VGA output. So you could just buy a DVI to VGA adapter (or if your TV has a spare HDMI input then buy a DVI to HDMI adapter)

If you buy a VGA splitter (usually it is a box) then the output will be the same on the TV and monitor you won't be able to to say watch a movie on your TV and have SC4 open on you monitor.

So what inputs does you monitor have, what inputs does you TV have and what video outputs does you computer have?

Jonathan

Andreas

Using a cable splitter is indeed a bad idea, esp. if it's an analog VGA cable, since the quality will degrade considerably. There are VGA switches, but for the same price, you might get a VGA card that has two outputs (if you don't have one already).
Andreas

Squalled

@Jonathan - Thanks, but I think I phrased my question wrong. I don't want to be able to watch a movie on my TV and the play my PC on the moniter at the same time. I want to, for example, play SC4 on my PC, then come off of it and put a movie on, turn my moniter of and be able to watch the movie on my TV. I can fo that at the moment, but I have to unplug the cable fom my moniter and plug it into the TV, which means I have to pull my desk away from the wall. Thanks for answering any way  :satisfied:

@Andreas - Could you give me a link to a VGA switch, and give me an aproximate price?

Jonathan

Well if you Graphics card has 2 outputs it saves you buying a switch and you have the option of doing different things on each monitor/TV at the same time. (you can also make both the monitor and TV identical if you want)

Do you know Maplin?
Theres a 2 way splitter here for £39