• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Hardware to software Rendering change. What's the difference?

Started by KoV Liberty, November 27, 2009, 05:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoV Liberty

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

j-dub

QuoteSoftware vs. Hardware Rendering

Software rendering is done completely by the CPU(s) running OpenDX, rather than the local video hardware. The advantage is cross-platform consistency and virtually unlimited control over colors, lighting, shading, clipping, and other sorts of data/image manipulation. The disadvantage is relatively slow speed compared to rendering done with hardware acceleration. Hardware rendering (GL or OpenGL) is system-dependent, in some cases is not possible at all, and in any case has different lighting and shading behavior than software rendering. Also note that hardware rendering in OpenDX presently does not support different colors for front and back faces of surfaces
QuoteIn the context of rendering (computer graphics), software rendering refers to a rendering process that is unaided by any specialized hardware, such as a graphics card. The rendering takes place entirely in the CPU.

KoV Liberty

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

Bobbi

Software rendering can't render the textures which is over 512pxs x 512pxs, or they"ll show you the color textures with red and blue. :D

2010.8.4 - I get on SC4D with PSP. So cool.:D
2010.8.14 - I can get on the Internet at home.:)

nerdly_dood

Quote from: Bobbi on November 27, 2009, 06:22:54 PM
Software rendering can't render the textures which is over 512pxs x 512pxs, or they"ll show you the color textures with red and blue. :D

Also, software rendering does not allow automata (vehicles, boats, aircraft) to use textures larger than 256x256. But they're 128x128 by default, so it's a simple matter to just use the larger image.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Andreas

In Software Mode, the shadows are often not displayed correctly, but on the other hand, it can reduce the number of crashes significantly. I tried two different graphic cards (completely different manufacturer) on my old computer and wasn't able to play without occasionally freezes, but it went perfectly in Software Mode. My new machine seems to run fine in Hardware Mode, and I hope it'll stay like this, because it looks a bit nicer. Performance-wise, I don't think there's a big difference these days, though, since modern CPUs are definitely fast enough for rendering the game without the help of the GPU.
Andreas