• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RAM recognization Issue

Started by hkboondoggle, December 08, 2009, 02:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hkboondoggle

Speaking of RAMs, since the OS (Window XP Pro. Ver '02 SP2) of my computer can only recognize part of my 4GB RAMs installed on the motherboard, thus I'd ask: Are there any methods that can force the OS to recognize all the RAMs installed on the motherboard? Thanks. ;)

Regards,
hkboondoggle

WC_EEND

do you have a 32bit or 64bit OS?
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

hkboondoggle

32bit indeed. Sorry for not mentioning that... $%Grinno$%

WC_EEND

well, that makes sense, since a 32bit OS can only adress 3GB of RAM (I have more or less the issue you have, seeing your description ;))

My LOT thread                                    

io_bg

Hehe, it's the same with me :D I wish I could use all the RAM I have... -.-
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Andreas

Andreas

hkboondoggle

That's why, Andreas, after reading your post & doing some mini research on google, I started hunting for the a new OS for my computer hardware upgrading during Christmas:

Windows XP Pro x64 VOL with SP2

Targeted hardware:
CPU:                               AMD Phenom II X4 955 (Black Edition)
Motherboard:                   GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P
Video Card:                     GIGABYTE GV-R577D5-1GD-B (PCI-E 2.0)

Well, I guess the configuration is suitable with a 64bit OS, isn't it? Although playing the SC4 with this config.  sounds like shooting a fly with a cannon......

WC_EEND

err, might I suggest going for windows 7 x64 instead of XP?

My LOT thread                                    

Andreas

From what I've read, WinXP 64 bit is a bit problematic because of lacking driver support. If you're going to buy new hardware anyway, Win7 64 bit might be the better alternative indeed. If you encounter some applications that still need XP and refuse to run in compatibility mode, you can use a virtual machine with WinXP installed. I'm using the same configuration right now (also with 4 GB RAM). I upgraded to an AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE, which I overclocked to 3.6 GHz and unlocked a third core and my SC4 runs very well so far. :)
Andreas

hkboondoggle

Quoteerr, might I suggest going for windows 7 x64 instead of XP?

Yeah, I do consider it as a secondary plan. The reason behind is in fact personal manner of choosing an OS, since I'm used to wait for sufficient users' comment on such a new product...

QuoteIf you encounter some applications that still need XP and refuse to run in compatibility mode, you can use a virtual machine with WinXP installed.

Thanks for the heads-up, Andreas. Actually, I've never thought about this type of installation, you've taught me a lesson, I appreciate it!  :thumbsup:

By the way, can somebody please give me a brief introduction of the following term: WOW64 Technology. Having this, the WinXP x64 was claimed to be able to support any 32 or 64bit softwares; yet is it fact or friction?

Andreas

When I got my new machine, I also planned to stick with WinXP, as it served me well since years. But unfortunately, I was not able to install the RAID drivers, it always crashed in a bluescreen immediately after the installation process. I tried dozens of hints that I found in the web, but no avail. Well, so I tried Win RC, and it worked right out of the box. There are still some annoying things in Win7 that I don't like (such as the new start menu which I really hate), but overall, it's not that bad.
Andreas

Jonathan

The start menu has taken more of a back seat role for me, I hardly ever use it, as I can get what I need on the taskbar or desktop (I do use the search on it though)

If you get Windows 7 Professional (at least) as Andreas said you get a fully working virtual copy of XP for free. And you can even run applications that are running in the XP virtual computer on the windows 7 desktop so you hardly notice the difference.
But I haven't had to use this yet as everything works on windows 7 that I have.

I think you'll find that if you look on Google for windows 7 reviews all of them (give or take one) will be positive. And it could save you a bit of money, as I know in England at least, the price of Win 7 goes up in January. (and you get XP for free with it)

Jonathan

hkboondoggle

Well, all the review I've seen about Win7 are mostly positive so far, maybe I should give it a shot in my new machine; yet will there be a problem of compatibility of 64bit Win7 with 32bit software programmes / applications (especially the dll files)? Well, there aren't many discussions on this issue on the net (at least at where I've read); does it indicate that "Uncle Bill" has cracked this specific problem?

Andreas

Well, as mentioned before, you can install Windows XP in a virtual machine (VM). If you get Win7 Professional or Ultimate, you can download a pre-configured WinXP VM for free, but if you already own a WinXP CD, you can create a VM with Sun VirtualBox (also free) and install WinXP there - and that will run with any OS as the host. There are a few old programs that won't run with Win7, even in compatibility mode, but they run fine inside the VM.
Andreas