• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamper77

Mjig,

Dragging the network is physically possible.  The T21s will work physically, but because a transit network requires a texture the "sunken" porting will not be visible.  The network cannot have an invisible base like lots and the terrain textures are not removed like with lots.  Meaning anything below ground level will not be visible for any type of Custom LOD you create.

Automata is not visible below ground level except for within specially modified lots.

-Swamper77
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

godjcjk12

Will the next RHW include flyover ramps, loops, cloverleafs, etc. ?  &idea

Shadow Assassin

That's up to Tarkus, but it seems he's been away for the last week or so - RL beckons, but he's got the pieces working for that.

It probably will, but then again, it might not.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

mightygoose

jplumbey the problem is you cant really make more detailed models of draggable model based networks as you are limited to about 600 poly's per model

i will make an underpass
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

jplumbley

Quote from: mightygoose on July 26, 2007, 05:16:04 AM
jplumbey the problem is you cant really make more detailed models of draggable model based networks as you are limited to about 600 poly's per model

i will make an underpass

It doesnt matter, there is nothing you can do but make True3D models.  If you dont want to make True3D models for Transit networks, then you might as well not even start.  Believe me I know there are limitations, but there simply is not a better way.  You guys are in puruit of something unobtainable with the game limitations unless you want a crap substitute called a TE lot system.  And crap is being nice.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

mightygoose

ok well i will make an underpass at least and take it from there.

Shadow Assassin

I'm not sure about this, but I think 600 polys is just a recommendation. You could probably go higher, but I'm not sure about that.
New Horizons Productions

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

I know I've been quiet here as of late.  RL plus not having a stable internet connection for the past couple of weeks. 

To answer a few questions:

Regarding the sunken RHW and polycount: That's a very nice model you have there mightygoose. 

ardecila once did something very similar to this sort of thing with some Underground Rail pieces he did awhile ago, through which he did get the automata to show: 

If I remember right, it was through an overhanging prop on a lot placed next to the Underground Rail.  So that's one method through which that could work.  I've done some work with an underground RHW, which will be at 10m below ground level (as per specifications blahdy and I worked out for the BigDig/RHW/MIS Portal).  There's also no transit enabling involved, since the lot is merely eyecandy.

The other way would be if the model were broken into 16m x 16m pieces (if it isn't already), it could be made draggable.  With regards to the poly count, redlotus said in his interchange tutorial that anything over 500-600 tends to crash the game, so it's more or less a rule as opposed to just a suggestion.  What you can do to get around that involves making the base model for the draggable network under the poly limit, and adding the extra details in via Type21 Exemplar.  You will need to make the base model be in True 3D as jplumbley pointed out, which basically just involves some Complex LODing and altering the BuildingMill script.  If you're using 3DS Max, however, you should be able to export the models as .3ds files, and iLive's Reader supports direct .3ds import into the Maxis-native S3D files.

I'd also concur with jplumbley that it's best to avoid TE Lots whenever possible, unless you're doing a transit switch (in which case it's necessary).  It's a nice model, and I think putting in the effort to get everything working right is worth it. ;)

Regarding the future of the RHW/MIS/NWM:  warrior, to answer your question, the next major public release of the RHW, which should come in the form of Network Widening Mod (NWM) Beta version 1, will most definitely include the MIS.  I can't say entirely what all will be included--that will depend on how development goes on various other projects like the TLA, OWR-5 and the Wider RHWs (which, for the time being, will go up to RHW-10).  As far as the current status of the MIS, in case anyone is wondering, it kind of got derailed in the wake of having to make an "emergency" release (v13, to solve the compatibility issues with the January NAM).  Then came the June NAM release and RL.  It's been one thing after another. :D  I've been trying to salvage the old RUL entries I did for it, but it appears that for a variety of reasons, I am going to have to completely rewrite them, beyond making the MIS draggable

The Ground Highway-to-RHW transition has been fixed as of about 5 minutes ago.  The issue was not a bad SC4Path file, but rather a mis-assigned Group ID for a network-specific exemplar, required for the model (and path) to work properly.  The intersection RUL coding (in 0x10000001) had also been disabled at some point.  I'll likely wait for the NWM Beta v1 release to include it, since it requires modifications to the NAM Essentials file.

Hope that clears some things up. :)

-Alex (Tarkus)

Gaston

Thanks for the update Tarkus.   I know we all appreciate it.    I myself was startig to wonder what was happening.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

BigSlark

Alex,

Thanks for the update. Glad to see you reappear, I (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) was getting worried about you, even though your sig did indicate you had RLS going on.

I hope life is back to normal now and that all is well.

Cheers,
Kevin

gt6282

Thanks for the update Tarkus..  I hope I could help you guys. well, actually I'm planning to make a 3d model of a double decker highway. I also intend to use either asphlat RHW texture or rickmastfan67's texture..  ;D

OT: could anyway give me a link where can i download the Bat4Max? Thanks..

Pat

Hey Alex im glad to hear you are still alive and kicking i was about to send out the search and rescue teams out for ya's... Ty for the update and project status as well take care and remeber us once in awhile - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

stewart_garden

Alex,

Thanks for the update.  I am looking forward to the "Network Widening Mod (NWM) Beta version 1".  Yet again this community is surpassing my expectations with content that I am sure will greatly enhance the game. I'm very grateful.

Stewart
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

Tarkus

Hi again everyone-

Thanks for the warm welcome back, and I'm glad to be back in the swing of things.  I missed you guys. ;)  Just wanted to show a screenie of the aforementioned RHW-Maxis Highway transition with DrawPaths turned on. 

I also managed to get the MIS On/Off Ramp pieces working again just a few minutes ago, and I now just need to further edit them to prevent the infamous "NAM Sinkhole" issue, as well as adding in the "false intersection" for the puzzle drag starter.  And so they'll actually be usable, a working Preview Model. :D  I should have some screenies on that end here shortly as well.  There are some other rather "interesting" things you'll be seeing more of soon as well. 

-Alex

Shadow Assassin

Just a quick pop-in to say that I've had a few minutes to play around with RHW-6 and RHW-8, despite RL. Here's some screenies:

RHW-6C

RHW-8C

Disregard the fact that the lines seem to be facing the wrong direction (the catseyes should be facing the driver; as in they should be in front of the line). That'll be easily fixed.
New Horizons Productions

bat

BigSlark

Great looking stuff, Alex and SA. I like to look at non-North American textures and dream about the MIS some nights...

Ok, well, maybe I don't dream about the MIS, but I'd really, really like to have it for the usual purposes.

Good luck getting the MIS function properly, Alex. After reading up on RUL's I think its a much luck as anything else...sort of a black magic (or dark art for you Harry Potter fans), if you will.

Cheers,
Kevin

Haljackey

Wow!  Some very nice progress here!  I like it!   ;D

It also makes me happy to see that the ground highway-to-RHW connection is fixed now, for that will make it much easier to connect the two networks.  Also, those darker asphalt networks look great too!

Concerning the RHW-6/8C, I know there is a model in development for the transition to the RHW-4.  But, how about another transfer/transition for the ground highway as well? 
-The RHW-6C would just need to spread out a tile, not losing/gaining any lanes at all.  This would be the perfect transition to biuld between urban and rural environments, because the ground highway is even more compact than the RHW-6C.  This also keeps the name "Rural" true in this situation.
-The RHW-8C would be similar, but would gain/lose a lane at this transition.

Anyways, I know these are two more requests in a request-cluttered project, but I think that it would benefit the connectivity of the RHW, since this is (currently) the only way to connect ground highways and the RHW.  Once again, great work and looking forward to seeing more!

-Haljackey

mightygoose

trouble is with 2 tile to 3 tile networks you can't maintain symmetry.... which is a big pain in the backside. i'd personally suggest having diagonal corner  transfers... so a two tile wide diagonal network turns to the orthogonal and spreads to the the 3 tile wide netowrk on the corner. thus not looking odd

thundercrack83

Welcome back, Alex! Glad to see some more development here. I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing what the "interesting" things you have for us are.

SA: The RHW-6 and -8 look fantastic! And don't worry about the cat's eyes--just rotate the tile and they'll be right!