• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Lightning

Oh my Alex, thats quite a mess  :P
Anyway, I know the new RHW will be awesome.

Keep it up
Vince

PS: The transition is almost done :)
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

deathtopumpkins

OK, I played for a few minutes this afternoon, and seeded a forest. Only one little part was messed up with the wrong trees (Peg used one of c.p.'s IIDs on one of his trees, though I don't really mind), but then I installed the path fix, and z's RTMT T-RAM stations (asking there next), and now everywhere I see trees is just Peg's Pine trees. Even areas that this afternoon seeded as c.p.'s. Could something in this fix possibly have caused this? I checked and I don't have Peg's God Mode Tree Mod installed, and the aforementioned things are the only things I've installed today.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

chrisnhl

Has anyone ever been successful in making an RHW 10 connection?

the7train

Is J-dub's dual OWR stub fix for RHW-6 90 degree turns the only way to get a functional RHW-6 to make a 90 degree turn?  I tried dragging and successfully dragged out the turn, but the sims would not use it, so I'm guessing its not pathed as Alex mentioned way back.  If J-dub's is the only way, how in the world do you do that?  I can't put the puzzle pieces over the OWR or the OWR over the puzzle pieces!

Chrisnhl:
I had a really hard time with neighbor connections but have found a solution that hasn't failed yet (and i believe i tested on RHW 10 a while ago) and is currently in use for my RHW 8.  First I drag two RHWs for each side of the HW and create a total of 4 connections.  Then I drag perpendicular RHW across them right at the border and bulldoze the excess RHW not right at the tile where the neighbor connection is.  Then, for each border connection (4 in this case) I drag road across two tiles and connect each road with one RHW connection on one side and your actual RHW on the other side.  Here is a simple illustration where 1 are the RHWs you start with creating the connection and dragging across perpendicularly.  Note the middle 1 is not a neighbor connection, but just part of the median I'm assuming you'll have that is part of the perpendicularly drawn RHW.  2 are the roads on the 2 tiles after the 1s and 3 is your RHW 10 that you drag into the road. 

|1|1|1|1|1|
     ------------
     |2|2|  |2|2|
     ------------
     |2|2|  |2|2|
     ------------
     |3|3|  |3|3|

chrisnhl

Hi the7train! Thanks alot for your help on this matter.  I think I understand what you are saying but I run a unique network in my region wich includes a fictional HOV lane running in the middle of my rhw.  Heres a pic of what it looks like.

Tarkus

chrisnhl, you'll need to drag the perpendicular RHW all the way through both the RHW-10 and the dual MIS Ramps/"HOV" lanes in the middle.  The issue is that the traffic needs to be able to enter and exit on the same tile between the Morning and Evening Commute Cycles, and with your current setup, it can't get back to the original tile. 

I've found through trial-and-error that the Wider RHW method I showed in the Readme, in retrospect, doesn't work well.  Here's a better pic:

I ended up using a Road in the very middle part there because I was using an extremely restrictive slope mod when I built that and it was the only thing it would let me do.

It'll be going in the FAQ shortly.

-Alex (Tarkus)

chrisnhl

LOl Im glad I can be part of the reason this is going in the FAQ ! Again thanks for your help.  Here is my new connection, is this what you mean?  Oh and the reason it's not connected in the middle is because it will not let me. is it because of the slope?

chrisnhl

OKAY! I actually got it to work using your guys's method which is shown in my last picture!  Thanks again you guys made my day!

JoeST

Quote from: Tarkus on February 25, 2009, 03:05:48 PM
If someone finds a faulty path between now and whenever the RUL update is put in place . . . then yes.
GO GO GO!!!

;D

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Patricius Maximus

I'll share my method for RHW neighbor connections, which always works for me. I connect roads to the edge of the city, then demolish all but the closest tile to the edge. Then I connect the RHW, and drag an RHW-2 over the width of the roads.

debutterfly

I said "no pics", but I might as well show my "stability test" pic, showing what the improved RULs will allow you to do with the Elevated networks.  Not that anyone will do this, but it should be stable enough to allow it now.

Hey Alex, this reminds me of the defunct RHW-24.  :D  Back in the day in the RHW's infancy. Hopefully I can find the pic on this thread and post it for people to oogle at. LOL  ;)

-Larry (debutterfly)

Xyloxadoria

I'm trying to find the Zoom 1 FSH files for the Non RHW 6-C networks so that i can add lightpoles and such to the other RHW networks, but i cant seem to find them. I can see the textures and such, but since the outer edges of the various RHWs all look about the same, i cant find them.

Is there a way to find them easily? I dont need the FSH itself, just the instance value thats needed to create a T21 from. (The instance value of the zoom 1 FSH)

Swamper77

Xylo,

Just look up the Zoom 5 textures (ones ending in 4) and then just remember to set the last digit to 0 in when you type the numbers into the properties for specifying the tiles for the T21's. I usually have two copies of the Reader open, one with the mod I am making and one with the files I am searching through.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

Tarkus

Quote from: debutterfly on February 26, 2009, 05:51:18 AM
Hey Alex, this reminds me of the defunct RHW-24.  :D  Back in the day in the RHW's infancy. Hopefully I can find the pic on this thread and post it for people to oogle at. LOL  ;)

Actually, it was the RHW-26.  13 lanes per direction, and it was considered as a possible 8-tile-wide network. 

In my early days being involved with the project, I also sort of get its little cousin, the RHW-18, in-game.  Well, sort of. 

I'm not sure if the "Ultra Wides" will ever actually end up being part of the RHW in the future, but it is under consideration.

j-dub

Weird, the old RHW-2 texture at the end. Interesting how back then there used to be a right in, right out ONLY design. Too bad we don't have something that looks like that anymore. I have to ask why a real wide RHW was made? I know stuff like this exists in real life, but I seriously wonder why, it just seems to dangerous.

chrisnhl

These kinds of highways really don't exist that much.  If you have been to any major metro areas, if there are that many lanes some of them always end right away because you must exit or there are collector lanes.  You will never see straight up eight lanes for a consistant stretch, Not even in L.A

Tarkus

Quote from: chrisnhl on February 26, 2009, 04:03:53 PM
These kinds of highways really don't exist that much. 

Which is why I've cut off the max width at the RHW-10.  The widest around that I'm aware of is I-75 in Atlanta, though that doesn't go above about 16 lanes. 

-Alex

Haljackey

Quote from: chrisnhl on February 26, 2009, 04:03:53 PM
These kinds of highways really don't exist that much.  If you have been to any major metro areas, if there are that many lanes some of them always end right away because you must exit or there are collector lanes.  You will never see straight up eight lanes for a consistant stretch, Not even in L.A

This is true.  When a highway gets wider than a "RHW-12" (6 lanes per direction), it usually will transform into a "Multi-RHW" (the only way to make RHWs wider back in the day) and form a collector/express system to make itself more organized and will help reduce traffic swerving between lanes, making it much safer.

I guess its possible a "filler" RHW piece to be made, which contains no shoulders, and could be dragged in the middle tiles of wider RHWs.  I'd assume they could carry 3 or 4 lanes per tile.  If this was made, we would be able to construct wider RHWs.

Best,
-Haljackey

j-dub

I know there is a 24 laned highway in the US. I was on PBS. It is extremely dangerous. It was somewhere in the New England coast states.

nerdly_dood

Speaking of dagnerous highways, don'tcha think that an overpass more than 250 meters long with no supports or trusses or anything, as in Tarkus' teaser, would be a bit more dangerous than a 24-lane highway? ;D
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!