• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Tarkus on June 28, 2007, 11:00:21 PM
If you were to reverse the striping coloration on those RHW-4/6C transitions, it would work very well for the RHW-6 (the 4-tile one).

Do you mean have it add a right lane instead of a left lane?  I'm looking at the RHW-6 piece you sent me awhile ago and if that's what you're talking about, it shouldn't be that hard to do.  I'll see if I can work it into my timetable for the weekend.  Same with the RHW-4 > RHW-8.  But first objective this weekend it to try to add a correct stain following the yellow line to expand the highway correctly to the RHW-4 > RHW-6C, then to the RHW-4 > RHW-8C. ;)
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Meastro444

nice work there!!

also, rickmastfan, may i request to leave those red/white spots away?

regards

Meastro444
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

Ryan B.

Those red / white spots are reflectors embedded in the highway surface.  I happen to think they add a realistic feature to the game.

BigSlark

Also, what is currently being developed is decidedly based on US and Canadian practices, which are governed by the United States DOT Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices. The MUTCD specifies that all roads are to have reflectors between lanes and on the shoulders. So, burgsabre87 is making puzzle pieces that reflect the current highway safety laws of North America.

Cheers,
Kevin

rickmastfan67

Quote from: BigSlark on June 29, 2007, 08:47:16 PM
Also, what is currently being developed is decidedly based on US and Canadian practices, which are governed by the United States DOT Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices. The MUTCD specifies that all roads are to have reflectors between lanes and on the shoulders. So, burgsabre87 is making puzzle pieces that reflect the current highway safety laws of North America.

Cheers,
Kevin

I'm the one adding the reflectors. :P  But burgsabre87, if you need the reflectors for any pieces you're making shoot me a IM or a PM and I'll send it over. ;)

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

rickmastfan67

Ok guys, here's the weekend work report.  I was only able to work on the RHW-4 > RHW-6C piece's stain because of a power outage for most of Saturday due to a bird committing suicide out at the street and hardly any access to the PC on Sunday.  But what little time I did have, I got the stain added to the RHW-4 > RHW-6C piece.  Plus with the technique I developed doing it, adding it to the other pieces shouldn't be that hard at all as long as I have the time. ;)

So guys, here's the picture of the new piece.  How does it look to you all now? ;)

NOTE: You might have to do a hard refresh of the page to update the image.  If you don't know how to, all you have to do is this if you're using IE: Ctrl+F5.  Remember to hold down the Ctrl key when you're hitting the F5 Button. ;)

Filasimo

awesome update on the textures my friend, and poor bird may the lil fly fly birdie rest in piece er peace :(
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

shoreman905

That is nice work, Sir. Another example of the hard work that goes into making this game special.  &apls

BigSlark

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on June 29, 2007, 08:52:30 PM
I'm the one adding the reflectors. :P  But burgsabre87, if you need the reflectors for any pieces you're making shoot me a IM or a PM and I'll send it over. ;)

Sorry, I should have proofread better.

Edit: I didn't look at the textures very closely earlier and the stain is now perfect! Great work!

Cheers,
Kevin

rickmastfan67

Ok, I have a quick update for you guys.  I got the RHW-4 > RHW-8C piece updated with a stain on it and it's posted below.  Also, I was also able to get the RHW-6C > RHW-8C piece created and finished at the same time.

So, how do these look to you guys now? ;)

RHW-4 > RHW-8C:

RHW-6C > RHW-8C:

Also blahdy, let me know when you want me to pass over to ya the updated PNG files. ;)

Quote from: Tarkus on June 28, 2007, 11:00:21 PM
The "C" versions I need to fix some things with the RULs (that's what was causing the texturing glitch).

Alex, I think I know why the RHW-8C was having that texturing glitch that you showed in this thread.  You just didn't rotate it correctly.  All you did was "Mirror" it over and thus, created the problem for ya.  So, if you just do a flip of the NB/EB side of the middle piece in whatever painting program you're using, that should fix the problem in less than 10 seconds.  Just remember to have the NB/EB lanes selected, otherwise, you'll mirror the SB/WB lanes at the same time thus causing a whole new problem. lol. ;)

BigSlark

Damn. I can't wait until I get to plop these bad boys! Great work!

Cheers,
Kevin

flame1396

Great textures... I may postpone my next xity until these babies are out :D
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

simzebu

So this project is moved here now... Huh.

Are there going to be elevated puzzle pieces for theses? Bridges? Anything like that?
Known as Embolalia in numerous other places.

Penguins, Python, and Programming, oh my!

blahdy

Quote from: simzebu on July 05, 2007, 10:06:32 AM
So this project is moved here now... Huh.

Yes.

Are there going to be elevated puzzle pieces for theses? Bridges? Anything like that?

Yes.

blunderclod

I love what has been happening with the RHW. However, I did notice one thing with the ANT network. I don't kno w if it's inheirent within the architerial structure. Basically, what I'm talking about is the climb rate of the road up the side of a mountain.
For example, if I place a default Maxis freeway up the hill, it has a climb rate say about 30% incline. Place the same RHW up the same hill and the climb rate is like 10%. It doesn't matter if you use dual highways or a single roadway. The result is the same. A very low climb rate. This would work fine if I'm using flat land, but in this case, I'm looking to design some rural highways in the mountains and hills.
So has anyone else noticed this or am I just plain crazy... Well, I am crazy, but you know what I mean.

-Susan Marie aka blunderclod

Shiftred

I have a slope mod that makes the ANT/RHW very restrictive in its climb rate, is it possible you have one of these mods?  I believe the restrictiveness was designed before the ANT was use much for transit as a tool to make extremely smooth slopes where other networks could be laid.  With the mod removed the ANT/RHW climbed inclines much steeper.

Shadow Assassin

Some people may wonder what happened to the RHW mod I was working on a while ago. Well, after a while of consideration, I've decided to start again from the ground up, using road markings extremely similar to the standard way of Australian markings on motorways. Also, note the addition of cats-eyes, to bring it in line with what's planned for the new incarnation of the RHW.

These are the only pieces done. I apologize for the shoddy image quality. It seems Photoshop's decided to change my settings. Again.

Okay, here's the run-down. This texturing is based off standard road markings for motorways here in Australia (with the exception of Perth, since their freeways use American road markings :P). It's always - red cats-eyes on the outside shoulder, white for the lane cats-eyes, and these cat-eyes always appear in front of the lane markings, and yellow cats-eyes for the inside shoulder. Oh, and did I mention that some pieces are wealth-dependent? :P Also, the main road surface is almost always darker than the shoulders.

Wealth-dependent pieces in action. (look, it's conveniently labeled!)

And blahdy, I certainly hope the RHW elevated network pieces will be easily skinnable. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

mjig_dudy

That looks really awesome SA  :thumbsup:

They would be lovely for my cities  ;D

Andreas

Is there any chance that you could create a set of textures without those cateyes as well? They would make an awesome European RHW! :)
Andreas

thundercrack83

Beautiful work, SA! I like the asphalt color!