• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamper77

@Mighty Goose:
You can't use BAT models for a draggable network. They will have to be converted to a True3D model, like the game's interchange pieces are. As a True3D model, you can't have the street lights as part of the model, but you can add them in via Type21 exemplars (network tiles). Also, the lighting for a network will have to be done with light cone models and not as rendered models. There are a few light cone models in the game, just not angled like your proposed street light. The light cone models in the game are vertical.

You will need a transition for this for where the highway goes from ground level to below ground level. You will also need to have a prepared trench in the landscape for it. Puzzle Pieces and networks don't do well with trying to show themselves below ground level.

@Fred:
There is a problem with the RHW-Ground Highway connection at this point, which is why you have to do the connections in that manner. The connection between RHW and the Ground Highway can be done, but the paths are not working on it so the traffic will not go through. Hopefully, this will be fixed in the next release.
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

mightygoose

swamper. as far as i was aware, from discussions with tarkus, that sunken models for model based transit netowrks would not require terrain modification. that was the entire point of making these models. these true 3d models. are all model based transit networks made of moels of this type? also is it possible to have angled lightcones in game as lightcones in the LE? i am fully aware that a transition piece is required as are curves and intersections, i just was using this piece as a generic straight piece as this is the only piece i have textures for....

is there a particular reason that true3D models dont like displaying below grid?
marrasts underpass lots, the pathed versions were below grid and had no problem displaying themselves or automata. why did they not require any trench, why did ardecila's sunken GLR not require any trench?

hopefully you can answer all my questions, if you can then i will have a much clearer understanding of what is required.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Fukuda

All puzzle pieces or 3D draggable network pieces must be true 3D. You'll need to model your own lightcones (there's a tutorial at simtropolis, I think) and add them with Type 21 exemplars as Ardecila pointed out.

Transition pieces and all kinds of intersection models (a real pain in the neck) will be required, indeed

The grid is only "dug" with tunnels or TE lots, it seems, and transit pieces are not lots nor tunnels, marrast's lots are simply TE lots with fake underpasses ;)
Back to europe ;D

Shadow Assassin

Also, they've had some LOD work done to them so they could appear the way that they did.

Mightygoose, the only problem I see with your idea - is it at all possible to change the textures between the two RHW texture mods?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Swamper77

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on July 24, 2007, 11:38:18 PM
Mightygoose, the only problem I see with your idea - is it at all possible to change the textures between the two RHW texture mods?

Only if he makes them True3D like any other puzzle piece/interchange model &mmm

-Swamper77
Pagan and Proud!

mightygoose

right OK, firstly can what i propose be done, no matter the difficulty. can it be done?

secondly, shadow assassin, all my models are done with what i call texture plates. these are the bits of the model that are placed specifically designed for having the RHW textures added to them. if the textures are supplied i can add any flipping texture you want to them. rail road RHW OWR anything lol. however for the intersections i will need a guy who is clever with textures... maybe you SA for your texture mod, who can work with me to make textures to fit the pieces i make, if of course this is all possible.

EDIT:

well anyway, i have completed a slope piece...

rickmastfan67

That looks preatty good mightygoose.  If you want, I can pass over to you the newest RHW-4 piece that I created for the RHW overhaul so you can use it in the shots instead of the old one.  Just PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it on over. ;)
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

thundercrack83

Wow, mightygoose! This looks excellent! I hope it can be done. I do have a question, though: Do you plan to expand them so you have more than two lanes?

mightygoose

well talking with tarkus, i intend to make this compatble all the way up to RHW18

rickmastfan67

Quote from: mightygoose on July 25, 2007, 03:40:38 PM
well talking with tarkus, i intend to make this compatble all the way up to RHW18

I personally don't think we will ever see RHW-18 come to life, but I do think we will get to at least RHW-10 being completed.  When, I have no idea, so don't ask me. :P

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

BigSlark

Is there any way this great looking model could be turned into an underpass, as in putting RHW below other networks?

Cheers,
Kevin

rickmastfan67

Quote from: BigSlark on July 25, 2007, 05:13:45 PM
Is there any way this great looking model could be turned into an underpass, as in putting RHW below other networks?

Cheers,
Kevin

That would be a good idea there.  I'd support it. :thumbsup:

Swamper77

As a BAT with custom LODs on a Lot, yes.
As a True3D model as a draggable network, no.

We do have puzzle pieces for when the RHW is at ground level and another network goes over on raised puzzle pieces, though. As a draggable network that is composed of True3D models, you would only see what is at or above ground level. The rest would be there but hidden by the terrain. Marrast's models are BATs with custom LODs which allow the vehicles to be seen on the Lot when they travel on it.

-Swamper77
Pagan and Proud!

mightygoose

so what about if they were transit enabled RHW lots with overhanging props with the clever LOD's, that way no true 3d models but to any observer it looks like a continuous sunken network???

Swamper77

Mighty Goose,

That would work with one exception: paths cannot overhang a Lot. They must exist on each tile and not beyond the borders of each tile.

-Swamper77
Pagan and Proud!

mightygoose

so it would be automataless.... well thats a bummer.... unless we supplied progressively larger sections.... like up to say 20-30 tiles long, so a good stretch of automata... you just wouldnt have any on diagonals.... but thats a  fair compromise is it not

jplumbley

@Mightygoose  If you want my opinion, your efforts could go into somthing else with better results.  Sunken draggable networks are not possible and in my honest opinion TEd Lots acting as a network are just a "cheap" substitute to a game limitation.

Your efforts could be better used by making an alternative to the exsiting GHW system, or modelling new El-RHW pieces that have better detail.  Or if you are such "obsessed" with having Sunken RHW make a new lot set for the sunken slopes.

Im not meaning to be harsh or disrespectful, your work is great and I am glad you are trying.  Its just not something that can be done properly.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Sir Charles of Dunlap

Would it work to make the network with no models on it, and then have lots and place one every so often to make the network viewable?

-Charlie

jplumbley

Quote from: Sir Charles of Dunlap on July 25, 2007, 09:12:12 PM
Would it work to make the network with no models on it, and then have lots and place one every so often to make the network viewable?

-Charlie

Sure, it could work.  But the issue is you will never be able to make intersections pop up without them being a TEd Lot, and if you have pre-determined lengths there will be many situations that you will never be able to include.  For instance since they will use TE lots you will not be able to have 2 intersections next to each other.  Another issue would be if you want curves, turns etc in the network your pieces are going to start getting too clos together or you are going to start having repetitiveness because the pieces will be standard pieces.

Have I ever stated how much I think TE lots are useless for networks?  They are good for bus stops, train stations etc. not the actual network themselves.  The paths never work properly, you can get sims using the lot as a short cut when its not.  I am totally biased towards the use of TE lots for transit networks, if you want eyecandy you might aswell make it no functional.

True3D is the way to go.  There is a helpful tutorial called Red Lotus' Interchange Tutorial.  Its alot of reading but then you are only working on one piece of it.  I still think that Mightygoose's time is better off being spent on re-moddeling the existing GHW or a puzzle piece set.  Sunken networks just simply dont work.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

mjig_dudy

ok then... How about a draggable network, where MG's models are added to the appropriate network tiles with T21 exemplars, This way there would be no messing around with True 3D models. If using custom LOD's the paths assigned below groud on te network tile should show up, or am i mistaken?
Another advantage is that you could, in theory make diffrent models or diffrent wealth and have them all on one network where the props change depending on the surrounding wealth.
This wouldn't allow placing them on sloped peices, but it would a lot better than messing around with TE lots.