• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommiej

SA, you are the man for the people from Europe!!!  the euro style RHW looks amazing and now you have an urban RHW that totally fits into euro style cities!! awesome!
Men's imagination is exceeding his capabilities, that's why men is still dreaming.

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Jonathan

The work going on around here is simply amazing,
SA: Is that two highways joining? It's awesome. Surely urban rural hghway doesn't make sense, more like UHW?

Andreas

Please, somebody pinch me! This isn't a dream, right?  :o  Sure, "urban RHW" sounds a tad odd, but the prospect to get draggable elevated "avenues", probably even with some nice on- and off-ramps, is beyond awesome!  &apls
Andreas

freedo50

What the...
Wow, that totally came out of nowhere! Is that a new draggable elevated highway or what? How does it differ from the original, other than looking much better?

Fred

thundercrack83

Incredible, SA! Those textures look amazing! I can't wait to see what else you're playing around with!

Mayor Abe

To be honest, as long as that is RHD, I actually could use those in my (American themed) cites. In fact, asphalt textures are universal. I have than for the Maxis highways too.
The government should be afraid of its people. any other way is a dictatorship
"Free people and Free Markets" Wall Street Journal editorial philosophy
The views of any one group should not be imposed upon people as a whole (that means You, religious right wingers)

Sir Charles of Dunlap

It would be cool to have the elevated rhw, but could there be two? One at the normal height, and one that's twice that?

-Charlie

Pat

Quote from: Andreas on August 02, 2007, 09:01:13 AM
Please, somebody pinch me! This isn't a dream, right?  :o  Sure, "urban RHW" sounds a tad odd, but the prospect to get draggable elevated "avenues", probably even with some nice on- and off-ramps, is beyond awesome!  &apls

Yuppers Andreas took the words outta my mouth... WOW  &apls :thumbsup:

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

rickmastfan67

FYI: For those wondering why my lines for the RHW are a tad longer than SA's, it's because Tarkus wanted them that way. ;)
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

cammo2003

Quote from: star.torturer on August 02, 2007, 04:55:31 AM
isnt urban rural highway a mistake lol

Nah, it's an urban Regional highway.  ;)

See, no acronym change needed.  :)

Shadow Assassin

Well, the reason why I called it the "urban RHW", was of course, a reference to how Tarkus calls the default highway the FHW (Fake Highway), and he called the RHW the "Real Highway", so it's really Urban Real Highway. :P But Urban Highway will work too (so will Urban Regional Highway).

It's really a re-texture of the default Maxis highways. Paths will probably have to be redone so they're two lanes, not three.

And the on-ramps, of course, will get retextured. But I'm gonna cheat a little and use the Asphalt highway textures for those off/onramps, mainly because they're so damnably difficult to texture properly, and since thorvin's pretty much done most of the work, might as well use them, eh? And even better, it only takes me five minutes to do the texturing for well, everything. The only thing that will be of difficulty is actually the tunnels. They'll most likely have to be reBATted.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

BigSlark

SA,

Great looking work! Is it possible to repath the maxis standard? I didn't think that was something that could be done.

Y'know, the whole "RHW bridge" issue could be easily fixed with this...

Cheers,
Kevin

Shadow Assassin

It is indeed possible to repath Maxis highways. The problem is trying to find the bloody things in the SC4 files.
New Horizons Productions

jplumbley

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on August 02, 2007, 10:29:48 PM
It is indeed possible to repath Maxis highways. The problem is trying to find the bloody things in the SC4 files.

Who needs to repath when you can make those El-URHW into a draggable variation of El-FHW?  If I am not mistaken, Alex has already found that it is possible to override 3D networks in somewhat the same fashion as is possible with the SAM project.  I am not exactly sure how Alex did it but I think he made a draggable version of El-RHW already as a test.  If this holds true then you can make HSRP a variation of Monorail, have all the El-Puzzle Pieces draggable, etc.

But, if these were a separate variation for El-FHW then you could have separate path files.  Meaning no surfing through the SimCity_.dat files for missing paths, you could make your own.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Shadow Assassin

He indeed has found a way - using the puzzle-drag method.

But I (and quite a few people will actually agree with me about this) would very much prefer FHW to be eliminated from the game entirely, as it will be replaced with this mod. But this is not a high priority compared to retexturing the MIS and NWM (which actually has already been done on the RHW front, so only the RHWMIS will need to be done).

The HSRP can be made seperate from monorail. Remember GLR and how it was implemented?
New Horizons Productions

jplumbley

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on August 02, 2007, 11:13:24 PM
But I (and quite a few people will actually agree with me about this) would very much prefer FHW to be eliminated from the game entirely, as it will be replaced with this mod.

The HSRP can be made seperate from monorail. Remember GLR and how it was implemented?

Yes SA, I have to agree with you.  But one of the fundamental rules of the NAM is not to remove anything, only add.  Since it is a possibility that we can make El-URHW a variation of the El-FHW, then I would have to say that by the Team's Rules we must attempt to do it this way so we are not removing the El-FHW.  I personally wouldnt want the El-FHW or the FHW in the game anymore but there might be one person out there that does.

I know its possible  ;)  I was just bringing up an example of how it could be implemented but leaving some "doubt" just in-case it was proven to be an unrealistic project.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Shadow Assassin

Hmm, I suppose. Though people would have the option of having this or not. It'd be entirely optional.

Very little work would be required, actually, if you wanted to keep the normal El-Hwy (and GHW), since all that would be needed is a starter puzzle piece, retaining the existing models.
New Horizons Productions

jplumbley

Well, SA, there is a bit more that needs to be done beyond the puzzle piece.  But that has to do with the override RULs.  This is where the biggest work is for the draggable variations of networks (after the actual texturing or modelling), because hundreds maybe even thousands of lines will have to be written to override everything properly so both may co-exist.  Its not so bad once you get the hang of it though.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

Andreas

I think the only reason why I haven't used HSRP so far is the fact that it uses the monorail network. I used monorail extensively in quite a few cities, and I don't want to lose it. And although I rarely used elevated highways since the release of Rush Hour, it's still an option for some places, so I'd appreciate if the new pieces could be made additional. It's certainly quite some work, but I guess it's worth in the end. :)
Andreas