• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGCarter

thundercrack83

Great work, rickmastfan67! Congratulations on the release!

Haljackey

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on August 19, 2007, 06:13:06 PM
Speaking of which, does anyone have a copy of the RHW-2?
Yes I do!  Here is the link:

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/attachments//twoway%20RHW2%2Ezip

Anyways, My comments on the textures:

I like how it looks like the regular RHW and the new Euro-RHW put together. With 3 textures now, the network can now look like a highway in nearly every region of the world (though we are missing an Asian-RHW but you see my point).

Of the 3 textures, I got to say this one looks the best in comparison to my country (Canada), while other country/region may still prefer another RHW texture. I really like this network veriety because it represents a more worldwide view.

Shadow Assassin

Quote(though we are missing an Asian-RHW but you see my point)

An Asian RHW is really very similar to the Euro RHW. The road markings might differ slightly, but the differences are almost non-existent. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Shadow Assassin

I've started work on the RHW-2. When completed, it will be integrated into my texture replacement mod for the RHW-2 (formerly known as the ANT).

I'm actually having problems with the diagonals at the moment - the textures don't line up properly (they are 1 pixel off).

EDIT: Corrected a little error. :P
New Horizons Productions

Meastro444

Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

Andreas

Yeah, Maxis did a sloppy job with the diagonal textures - frimi had to correct them in the Euro Road Textures Mod as well (and the latest NAM contains a fix for the one-way-road textures, if I'm not mistaken). I never used the ANT because of the US textures, but now the time has come where this will change. :)
Andreas

jeronij

Very nice texture SA  :thumbsup:

It fits perfectly in wild and rural environements.
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

bat

That looks very great, SA! Looking forward to it!

thundercrack83

That texture looks magnificent, SA! Great work, my friend!

yoshiisland2

ALL: Sorry about what happened earlier, and I'll do better in the future

Shadow Assasin: I was looking at your Urban RHW and could tell it utilized the original Maxis highways, but has a two lane texture instead of three.  Will it replace the original Maxis highways, or will it be an additional network like the TLA and GLR?

allan_kuan1992

Look a few pages back because I think SA explained it already.
If I remember clearly, SA was thinking of replacing the dangerously narrow ground and elevated highways with the new textures, but he has stated that it is on the bottom of his to-do list.

- Allan K.

Shadow Assassin

Yup, that's right - as I have said: It's at the bottom of my to-do list because I want to finish the RHW-2 and other RHW variants as well as the RHW MIS. Luckily, they all have been started, but fine tuning is necessary for all these pieces.

I'll post my list here again (some things actually have been changed) [note: things in blue are things that MIGHT be done]
- Completing the RHW-2 textures using only the textures that actually are included in the ANT... however, this might be a little issue considering the nature of some of the pieces (I will have to cheat blatantly with these - jplumbley or Tarkus - is there any way RUL-wise to make a texture act a particular way - for instance if a normal road crosses a RHW2, the texture would be oriented that way, and not stuffed up on other orientations?).
- Fixing the Instance IDs of the RHW-4 and RHW-2 as part of the NWM update.
- Adding RHW-10, as part of the NWM update.
- Adding the RHWMIS pieces when they are completed (possibly as part of the NWM).
- Tweaking the rail RHW-4 piece so it lines up correctly (this may not be required, since it is merely a detail thing - the piece itself is fine).
- Replacing the Maxis Highways (or rather, more likely adding them as a supplement). This is not really important, because it only adds an extra part to the existing RHW. There are, essentially, only a few textures to replace, and they've all been done, but there are minor cosmetic tweaks that still need to be done.

In the future, though, it's possible that I may add a series of new mods dealing with the NWM, expanding what's being added to include a few new things.
New Horizons Productions

jplumbley

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on August 22, 2007, 12:21:10 AM
- Completing the RHW-2 textures using only the textures that actually are included in the ANT... however, this might be a little issue considering the nature of some of the pieces (I will have to cheat blatantly with these - jplumbley or Tarkus - is there any way RUL-wise to make a texture act a particular way - for instance if a normal road crosses a RHW2, the texture would be oriented that way, and not stuffed up on other orientations?).

Hey SA,

Im not sure what the issue is if you are replacing textures...

What I have noticed from old mods, like ATL in the NAM, some people have made more textures than actually are needed.  For example, for the ATL the intersection between 2 Avenues is a 2x2 tile square.  There are 4 different textures in the ATL at the 4 different rotations for this.  At first, I thought the difference would be the SC4Path files, but I was wrong.  All the SC4Path files are the same except that everything has been rotated 90 degrees in orientation.  I dont know if the ATL was made before some of the discoveries in the RULs, but I know that it is possible for me to write the RULs using only one of the textures.  This would eliminate the need of 3 textures x 5 zooms x 4 wealths = 60 FSH files, 3 SC4Paths and 3 T21 exemplars.  Because of this one inefficiency we have 66 extra files within the NAM files.  Now, the size of these files are probably only about 125 to 150 kb but its still an inefficiency.  Thats something for another day.

To answer your question the best I can.  Only one rotation is needed for any texture, there are 8 separate rotations we can RUL with the texture.  These rotations are 0, 90, 180 and 270 degree rotations and mirrored 0, 90, 180, and 270 degree rotations.  Any possible orientation of the texture can be made in game is possible to be RULed off of one texture.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Shadow Assassin

That's exactly what I needed to know, because for some of those textures, RULs would be required to ensure they stayed in the proper orientation when intersecting with other road types.

Warrior: For the RHW-2 (and I suspect the RHW-4 may need it), RULs may be needed for intersection textures to keep them oriented in the right direction.
New Horizons Productions

Jonathan

I thought the RHW-2 was exactly like the ANT except it looked different? NOT saying that thats bad or anything like that.

Shadow Assassin

It is. The reason for those RULs is because of the intersections. If you look at the default ANT texture intersection, you'll notice something very important: it's able to be rotated in any direction because it's got a standard crossing texture - plus it's the same as the default road texture. And incidentally, that same intersection texture (I think) is used both for RHW-RHW T-intersections and Road-RHW T-intersections (which are most likely needed to be edited in the RUL). The RHW-4 is much simpler because the RULs have been done for it.

edit: Didn't realise you had edited this post till after I posted this.
New Horizons Productions

Haljackey

Shadow Assassin:  It looks as if you have everything well planned out.   If you need anything else (like the RHW-2 textures or RHW-8 setup) I can see what I can do to help out!  Best of luck with your work!

jugioh1012

The button that says RHW is only a road,well it appears as a road.Why is that? :sunny: