• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeST

First have you read the manual/readme?
Next did you install the NAM essentials files before the RHW files?

Hope this helps

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Shadow Assassin

Quote from: Haljackey on August 22, 2007, 08:21:53 AM
Shadow Assassin:  It looks as if you have everything well planned out.   If you need anything else (like the RHW-2 textures or RHW-8 setup) I can see what I can do to help out!  Best of luck with your work!

Well, all's fine on the texturing front, so that's alright. RHW-8 setup - you mean the whole override thing (well... the textures have been done ages ago for that)? That's being handled by someone else, or are you referring to something else? :P

Thanks, though.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

hoshattack

Is there a way to sort of combine the features of the UHW with the larger lane versions of RHW?  I really like having the wall barriers between the sides of the highway rather than grass.  It just makes it feel like it was made for a more dense area.

So it has the urban feel of the UHW but has like 5 lanes on each side.

Just thinking..   &Thk/(

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Just thought I'd drop by and share a few little developments.

I finally got around to making the Elevated RHW draggable. ;)

The way the El-RHW is set up, you'll basically have a puzzle drag starter which creates one side of an El-RHW-4. 

And I've also stabilized some things with the RHW-6C.  Here's a test stretch I dragged out, using rickmastfan67's textures.

I've got some other interesting developments relating to these two components of the RHW/NWM which I'll be able to show you quite soon.

hoshattack, to answer your question, the wider RHWs will receive some sort of Type21-Exemplar treatment which will place barriers under certain conditions.  It will likely end up looking something like the El-RHW above.

And SA, that RHW-2 texture looks fantastic!

I'll be back with more here in the next few days.

-Alex (Tarkus)

bat

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Tarkus on August 25, 2007, 02:08:27 AM
And I've also stabilized some things with the RHW-6C.  Here's a test stretch I dragged out, using rickmastfan67's textures.

I'll soon have an overhauled strait RHW-6C piece for ya Alex.  Got some other personal things I have to get dealt with first before I can get to it. ;)

Also, for that draggable ERHW-4, that looks sweet!!  Is that the texture for the strait piece that I released with the rest of the RHW-4 Update Textures, or an earlier version before I dulled the paint some?
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

thundercrack83

Oooh, the Elevated RHW looks fantastic, Alex! And making it draggable is always a plus! Excellent work, as always, my friend!

BigSlark

Excellent work, Alex!  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update!

Cheers,
Kevin

allan_kuan1992

Hmm... is the ERHW 4 a hint to bigger things? (thinks of draggable overpasses for roads, avenues, and one-way-roads)

The RHW might need two-laned high-capacity entrances and exits for busy intersections. In these cases however, it might be good just to use the existing OWR 2 to a puzzle piece that merges the OWR 2 into the RHW to save you some work.

And wow... how many networks are the NWM team working on now? I already saw these so far in various threads:

TLA 3 *
TLA 5 *
TLA 7
AVE 2
AVE 6
AVE 8
RHW 3 (planned)(single-laned highways with alternating passing sections)
RHW 4 ^
RHW 6
RHW 6C (compact version)
RHW 8
RHW 8C
RHW 10 *
ERHW 4
DDRHW 4
RHWMIS 1 *
PSR 3 (Passing Lane Roads)
RD 4 (4-laned road with no median) *  **
OWR 5 *

* means Jplumbley has indicated that the project might be included in NWM Beta 1.0.
^ means that the project already completed.
** I cannot treat RD 4 as an avenue specifically because it does not have a median.

You people seem to be going somewhat overboard with the NWM. (no offence) :D $%Grinno$%

Anyways... nice work as always!

- Allan K.

MESSAGE EDITED: Inclusion of DDRHW 4.

thundercrack83

You people seem to be going somewhat overboard with the NWM. (no offence)

And that's definitely a good thing! I can't keep track of all the projects involved in this, much less all the abbreviations, but I sure think that it's going to be great!

BigSlark

Add TLA7 to the "in progress" list, Allan. Tarkus once shared a photo of it in a thread...

Cheers,
Kevin

allan_kuan1992

It's there... look closely... Jplumbley however has mentioned that the network is somewhat tricky to work on (being 3 tiles) and therefore might not make the first BETA of the NWM.

- Allan K

JoeST

maybe somebody should make this its own topic. maybe even a sticked topic...

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

allan_kuan1992

Uh why? This is kinda related to the RHW discussion. Okay... maybe the TLA stuff that i discussed in my last post does not count.

And everyone is getting off-topic here. So... let's just get back into being amazed by the stuff Tarkus and the NWM team are making.

- Allan K.

Tarkus

Hi again everyone-

Glad you enjoyed the ERHW-4 pics.  And yes, Allan, you will be able to drag the ERHW over networks to produce overpasses.  It will work similar to how the Maxis Elevated Highways work in that regard.  (Thanks for the list of NWM stuff, too.  I had no idea we were working on that much stuff :D--though you did forget the double-decker, or DDRHW-4. ;))

Just stopped by to show some progress on a few more things here.

First things first, last update you saw the RHW-6C, so here's how things are shaping up with the RHW-6S.  The orthogonal RULs are in place. 

A couple curious things to note here.  Some of you probably have wondered what the "S" and "C" designations actually mean.  The "C", of course, means "compact", but the "S" means "separable" (not "standard" as some have speculated), such that you can have various widths of medians.  They function just like the RHW-4 and the future RHW-10.  The C versions take up less space, but the median is always the same size.  Getting to the point of this rumination, you may notice in that series of images that there's actually only 5 lanes instead of 6.  The fact is, since the network is separable, it is possible to only apply the widening overrides to one side, allowing for an RHW-5.  In essence, with the S versions, you'll have numerous options with regards to lane configurations, including asymmetrical divisions like this.

The second little item I should point out--does that starter piece used in creating the override look familiar?  That's because it is the exact same piece used to create the RHW-6C.  (We Oregonians like to recycle.  :))  The way the override is set up, dragging the starter between two RHW-4s separated by one tile creates an RHW-6C, while dragging to the outside creates the S version.  In my files, I actually have the starter labeled as a "RHW +1 LPC" (LPC=Lane(s) Per Carriageway).  In essence, it will add one lane to any RHW carriageway.  And I do mean any.  If you catch my drift. ;)  (With the 6C, it's actually adding two lanes, because it is effecting two carriageways).  The RHW-8 will be set up exactly the same, except that a "RHW +2 LPC" starter will be used.  For the RHW-10, you'll only have to drag the good old ANT to the outside of an RHW-4.

Quote from: allan_kuan1992 on August 25, 2007, 11:57:09 AM
The RHW might need two-laned high-capacity entrances and exits for busy intersections. In these cases however, it might be good just to use the existing OWR 2 to a puzzle piece that merges the OWR 2 into the RHW to save you some work.
[/font]

I have a rather interesting solution to show you for just such a thing . . .

Basically, I simply took the RHW-4 and made it into a puzzle drag.  What does this mean?  Well, several things. 

1) There will be two methods for producing the RHW networks in NWM Beta 1--the side-by-side method you're all familiar with, as well as this new puzzle drag.  (All of the RULs I have written for the wider RHWs take into consideration both versions, so either way, you'll be able to widen them.)
2) It will allow for easier construction of C/D lanes, like those produced with Haljackey's Multi-RHW setup.  The puzzle drag RHW-4 will not override itself, nor will it override a traditional RHW-4, eliminating many of the issues that arise in Multi-RHW construction.
3) I can tack the puzzle starter onto the end of an MIS ramp starter, allowing for 2-lane MIS ramps (it's also an MIS-2).  Also, taking into consideration the fact that this RHW-4 drag can also be overriden using the widening techniques, it will be possible to produce even wider MIS ramps.  In addition, it will not suffer from the much lower network speed that the OWR-2 has (which, as I've seen in my testing, results in severe negative impact on one's highway system).
4) All the textures are the exact same as the RHW-4, and the RULs can be taken from other 1-tile NWM networks and appropriated through automated modification to the correct IIDs.  Very little additional modding work is necessary.

Hope that answers some questions. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

mightygoose

thanks for another awesome update, this is all really starting to come together now
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

BigSlark

Thanks for the update, Alex. I'm salivating at the NWM release...salivating I tell you!

Cheers,
Kevin

rickmastfan67

And I have something that I want to show off.  I just came up with this idea last night working up the brand new RHW-6/6C piece for Alex.  I'd like to call it the RHW-6SC.  I'm thinking it could be just a strait piece set with extra pieces for only exits and transitions from the RHW-4 and maybe RHW-6/6C.  This would mostly be for people who don't have the ROW for major expansion in an urban area and just have the ROW for 2 tiles plus 1 for exit ramps.  Right now, I just temporary used the RHW-4 strait piece id so I could test it out.  Also, with the help of Type-21 stuff, this could have something like the Ontario "Tall Wall" in the middle to prevent crossover wrecks.

So, what do you guys think?

-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

simzebu

It looks exactly like Freebie 90 through Albany, just without the divider. Very nice. Keep up the good work!
Known as Embolalia in numerous other places.

Penguins, Python, and Programming, oh my!

Emperor Stormont

wall or crash barrier, something simple and clean. That looks simply fabulous.  &apls

I keep saying this. With all these fantastic transport options and the various highway/avenue/road options being developed. I fail to see the need for SC5, at least the one planned.

Amazing work, I so wish I have the talent and patience to create things like this. I'll just stick to building beautiful cities filled with wonderful custom content like the above  :satisfied:

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008