• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mott

@jplumbley: 2-tile networks, there's that Really Good Reason(tm).  Thanks for the thoughtful response. 

Tarkus

Getting part of the way there with the diagonals . . . (note these aren't the final textures, and the RHW-2 sticking out of the end is just a part I haven't overriden yet)

-Alex

thundercrack83

I'm always happy to see new progress here, Alex! I've said it many times, this is definitely re-inventing the game! Excellent job, my friend!

Haljackey

OOO... Ah....

All those possibilities....  I thought we had a lot of possibilities with what we already have, but then I saw this.  Thundercrack was right.  This will re-invent the game  ;D

Keep up the great work!

allan_kuan1992

Wow... wish i had those textures so that I could edit them... =P

Anyways... I was amazed by the asphalt-dark colours that Shadow-Assassin used, but they were in a sense not to my style, especially since I'm used to yellow lines on the left! Anyways, that matter aside, I took those textures, mixed them up a bit with those of rickmastfan67, and the result looks promising... especially when I made these with only MS Paint and Paint.net! by the way, I have a whole texture set ready... just wondering though if anybody is willing to use it. Anyways, the US asphalt texture for the RHW-MIS exit is attached.

Opinions welcome!

- Allan K.

bat

That is looking wonderful! Great progress! :thumbsup:

rickmastfan67

Not bad there allan_kuan1992.

Anyways, you could get my name correct at least.  :P

Quote from: allan_kuan1992 on October 04, 2007, 12:49:42 AM
I took those textures, mixed them up a bit with those of rickmanfast, and the result looks promising
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Filasimo

Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

Haljackey

Thats some really nice work there allan_kuan1992!  Great job! I really like it!

EDGE4194

alex- its looking good  :thumbsup:
allan- the textures turned out nice
rickmanfast- i kinda like the new name  ;)

thundercrack83

allan_kuan1992: Looks pretty good, my friend! Keep up the good work!

Envirotechture

I don't know if you have already done this or not, but I would like to see a MIS under Raised RHW piece. That way, it would be possible to have ramps going under the RHW. It would be helpful for making exits that go to a road that is only on one side. It would also make more interchange types possible.

Tarkus

allan, I really like that texture you posted--it really hybridizes the two sets well.  Excellent work. :thumbsup:

Envirotechture, I can confirm that there will indeed be a MIS-under-Elevated RHW piece, as well as a MIS-over-RHW piece.  I'm trying to figure out how exactly to implement them.  I can always just do a puzzle piece, but I may experiment with seeing if I can get it draggable. ;)  As far as exits that only go to one side, that's also in the works.   :)  Hope that answers your question.

-Alex (Tarkus)

figui

first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

allan_kuan1992

Whooops! >.<

Name corrected.

EDIT:

When textures come, they come in bundles. Attached is an interim RHWMIS2 exit layout and an interim RHW3 layout.

EDIT #2:

I know that the RHWMIS2 exit layout looks funny at the moment, and also the RHW3. One thing i can explain though is why the RHW3 looks funny; I couldn't center it to allow the RHW4 to be able to merge into the RHW3. Of course, merging this into an RHW2 is now harder to do, but we'll see...

- Allan Kuan

rickmastfan67

Well guys, I don't have any new shots to show you yet of the RHW-2 rebuild (Alex hasn't gotten some of the pieces into SC4 yet), but I do want to confirm two things about it.

1. Yes, when it's released, there WILL BE a RHW-2 > RHW-4 connection.  However, it will be in puzzle piece format, but you will be able to drag RHW-2 and RHW-4 from it.  It will be 2x6, so you guys can set up any future area you need for it. ;)

2. Here's a small incite into some of the new pieces you will see for the RHW-2.  And this is the only thing I'm going to say about new pieces, so don't ask what other pieces will be included (I'll announce some of them later once I have pics inside of SC4).  The RHW-2 WILL HAVE ACCESS TO THE MIS SYSTEM. ;)

That is all.  ;) $%Grinno$%
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

BigSlark

You have made my day. No, seriously. I'm not joking.

The Super-2 concept has fascinated me for years and the ability to add it to SC4 is simply amazing.

Great work, James and Alex.

Cheers,
Kevin

Haljackey

Hey allan_kuan1992, that first image you posted... Can that directly connect with a One-Way road? 
If not, would it be possible to do so?  That would add a LOT to the connectivity issues of the RHW network (right now you have to downconvert the RHW to a One-way road/ave to get another one-way road to connect with it.)

And about the RHW-2 being "MIS-compatible", well all I can say is that Thats Awesome!

Keep it up everyone!  This hype keeps getting bigger and bigger!
-Haljackey.

Tarkus

Quote from: Haljackey on October 05, 2007, 06:42:17 AM
Can that directly connect with a One-Way road? 
If not, would it be possible to do so?  That would add a LOT to the connectivity issues of the RHW network (right now you have to downconvert the RHW to a One-way road/ave to get another one-way road to connect with it.)

Haljackey, there are actually some issues with using OWRs as highway ramps, which seem to be because the network speed is too low, and thus, unfavorable according to the Traffic Simulator.  The two-lane connections will actually be served by an MIS-2 (which looks identical to the RHW-4), and all the modding I've done for the single-lane version can simply be copied and pasted.  I've actually done tests with on one particular interchange, re-building it using three particular methods: a) OWR ramp, b) Maxis Elevated Highway/Diamond interchange, and c) an extended setup with the puzzle piece version of the MIS. 

The OWR ramp made the motorists prefer to stay on surface streets and stay off the highway, while the Maxis interchange had some of them using it again.  I thought at first it was the purported issue with interchange ramp length, but the MIS ramps I built were longer than either and encouraged a lot more motorists to use highway.  I tried several different lengths with the OWR ramp, with the same results.

There will, however, be ways to connect the MIS ramps into OWRs to allow for frontage setups.

allan, the textures look fantastic, though I don't think I've seen any two-lane ramps that spawn off of two-lane highways before.  I'd suggest adding a third "exit-only" lane that merges into the right lane of the ramp, which will allow it to connect to the RHW-6S on one end.  That RHW-3 texture is spot on, though--it's exactly what I had in mind. :)

-Alex (Tarkus)

Haljackey

Quote from: Tarkus on October 05, 2007, 09:47:53 AM
Haljackey, there are actually some issues with using OWRs as highway ramps, which seem to be because the network speed is too low, and thus, unfavorable according to the Traffic Simulator.  The two-lane connections will actually be served by an MIS-2 (which looks identical to the RHW-4), and all the modding I've done for the single-lane version can simply be copied and pasted.  I've actually done tests with on one particular interchange, re-building it using three particular methods: a) OWR ramp, b) Maxis Elevated Highway/Diamond interchange, and c) an extended setup with the puzzle piece version of the MIS. 

The OWR ramp made the motorists prefer to stay on surface streets and stay off the highway, while the Maxis interchange had some of them using it again.  I thought at first it was the purported issue with interchange ramp length, but the MIS ramps I built were longer than either and encouraged a lot more motorists to use highway.  I tried several different lengths with the OWR ramp, with the same results.

There will, however, be ways to connect the MIS ramps into OWRs to allow for frontage setups.

Wow, it seems as if you have everything planned out.  I guess I'm just used to using One-way roads as ramps for the RHW because of the current limitations of the network.  However, I guess I could just replace my one-ways with the MIS system if that will increase the "speed" of the network.  If the MIS ramps encourages commuters to use the highway, then I guess my RHW systems will finally be put to good use  :thumbsup:!  With my highway network fully functional, I can help eliminate the huge congestion on my main city arteries.  I could also use that exit to connect to a "Multi-RHW" network, for which I have used in many of my cities (it actually works extremely well).

Have I said that this project is really interesting?  Who in their right mind would have known that the RHW has the power to change the whole game for the better!?!?  When I first started following this project back in 2005, all I thought it was was a rural version of the Maxis highway network.  Now look where we are here!  Things have come a LONG way from humble beginnings.  Best of luck with the completion of the RHW network and the release of the MIS (as well as NWM) network! 

I can't wait to get my hands on this stuff and see what I can whip up.  The current RHW has so many combinations, but the next RHW with the MIS will have nearly infinite combinations!  I will be patiently waiting as always! ;)

-Haljackey.