• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palpatine001

I  was wundering if you had to use a one way road in the RHW piece to make the other current ramp fit properly

I am going to reboot SC4 and have a crack at it

Pic Soon
Now Idle
Please leave a message after the beep and I'll get to you as soon as I can bother

Toichus Maximus

anxiously anticipating the onramps--they look great!

xmike1991

Ok, this has gotta be asked just for clarification.
will the MIS work if the RHW is on a diagonal?

Palpatine001

Quote from: xmike1991 on October 22, 2007, 07:16:13 PM
Ok, this has gotta be asked just for clarification.
will the MIS work if the RHW is on a diagonal?

As said in ST

Unknown, have to ask Tarkus on that one

Haljacky, that second pic of the one way roads and the in game Highways I have for Benson Road in Rangitoto Town - Solaria

In the mean time this

Again this is me mucking around on State Highway 10 as I test the options I have currently available.

Also with the RHW, NAM and ANT, oh my recreating Aucklands Spheghti Junction would be a feat in SC4 as that piece of engineering in Auckland is the greated piece of (can I say bol**x in here) I have ever seen
Now Idle
Please leave a message after the beep and I'll get to you as soon as I can bother

Tarkus

Quote from: Haljackey on October 22, 2007, 06:38:03 PM

Oh, and by the way, I would recommend using one-way roads as ramps rather than other networks because they look much nicer and connect better as well. 

Well, at least until the MIS comes out.   ;)  (Which is closer than you might think . . .)  Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.  I'm glad the MIS stuff is to your liking so far, and this is only scratching the surface of what the system will be capable of in the initial release (and future releases). 

By the way, to answer your questions, I am planning on implementing functionality to allow the MIS to interface with the OWR (3x3) roundabouts with the initial release.  It seems like there's a lot of interest in it, as it's becoming a popular interchange design.  And it shouldn't be too difficult to do.  There may be a few puzzle pieces involved in order to make the hookup more "intuitive".  Perhaps when I get the MIS-2 (RHW-4) ramp going more I can hook it up to the Avenue roundabouts. ;)  The closest thing I'm aware of to such a thing in Oregon is this interchange [link] off of Airport Way east of Portland International Airport (PDX).  (The Street View option works, too, so you can actually see along the some roads through the interchange at ground-level. :)

And John (DFire870), to answer your questions, there will be an option to transition the MIS ramps to an OWR-based frontage Road, and vice-versa, via a proposed puzzle piece.  As far as the tile-width specifications go for the wider RHWs, here's how things are shaping up:

[tabular type=4 caption="Wider RHW Types and Space Consumption"]
[row] [head]RHW Type[/head] [head]Tile Width[/head][/row]
[row] [data]RHW-3[/data] [data]2 Tiles[/data][/row]
[row] [data]RHW-6C[/data] [data]3 Tiles[/data][/row]
[row] [data]RHW-6S[/data] [data]4 Tiles[/data][/row]
[row] [data]RHW-8C[/data] [data]3 Tiles[/data][/row]
[row] [data]RHW-8S[/data] [data]4 Tiles[/data][/row]
[row] [data]RHW-10[/data] [data]4 Tiles[/data][/row]
[/tabular]

It may seem that the S versions of the RHW-6 and RHW-8 are a waste, but there's certain functional situations in which they will definitely come in handy.  They will also allow for various asymmetrical setups, including an odd number of lanes over the two carriageways (i.e. an RHW-7, one part RHW-8S, one part RHW-6S, or one part RHW-4, one part RHW-10).  The RHW-3 is basically an expansion of the RHW-2 with an added passing lane on one side. 

xmike1991, that's a good question; thanks for asking. ;)  At some point there will be pieces to allow diagonal RHWs to interface with the MIS system.  I have actually been working on some prototype textures.  The complicated part of it is the fact that there are two different types of diagonal pieces in the RHW (and the MIS), but I think I have the issues worked out on that end, and only have to get it in game.  It's possible for the initial release, but I can't guarantee it.

Hope that answers some questions. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

Ryan B.

Here's some more progress tonight:

First, I worked on a smoother, rounded version of the MIS ramp / road intersection:

It's gonna need some cleaning up, but that's a start, eh?

Secondly, I took the auxiliary off-ramp texture from earlier in the thread, and I decided to NYS DOT-ize it:

This is how the NYS DOT is marking their off-ramps these days.

Olasz

the exit-ramp texture looks very realistic imo

BigSlark

James,

I really like your textures, but I have a question about the auxiliary off-ramp: are the small stripes that indicate the exit to scale? I've got an exit ramp striping diagram knocking around in my desk at work if you'd like some dimensions for what we use in Mississippi.

Cheers,
Kevin

rickmastfan67

Quote from: BigSlark on October 23, 2007, 01:29:49 AM
James,

I really like your textures, but I have a question about the auxiliary off-ramp: are the small stripes that indicate the exit to scale? I've got an exit ramp striping diagram knocking around in my desk at work if you'd like some dimensions for what we use in Mississippi.

Cheers,
Kevin

First Kevin, burgsabre87 made that post above. lol.  Those are some modified textures there of my default RHW-4 ones made to work with the MIS by Alex.  Then burgsabre87 changed the paint striping to match NYSDOT.

Now for the stripes, are you talking about the white ones, or the other grayer ones?  The Grayer ones are rumble stripes.

And sure, go ahead and post that diagram.  Would be nice to see what another state does compared to states I've been in. ;)
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

BigSlark

My apologies. I was nearly asleep when I posted last night and I am referring to the white dotted line, so to speak, that indicates that the lane is running out.

Cheers,
Kevin

Haljackey

Wow!  Nice job burgsabre87 with that ramp!  We don't see that kind of ramp around here (the broken white line AND the white line together), but it certainly looks brilliant!

Excellent work! &idea
-Haljackey.

DFire870

Ah, thanks for the information Alex, that clears things up. I don't remember if this has been answered before, but is there going to be a jersey barrier or other type of separator for the Compact versions, so cars don't go off one side and crash into the other? And how would they be implemented, by a T21 exemplar or an offset lot?

That should be the end of my questions. :P

-- John
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

Shadow Assassin

Actually, they can be implemented in both ways. It's more difficult modding in a T21, but at least you don't waste a tile of space. It's possible that it'll be T-21'd.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

freedo50

Surely you could create a version with jersey barriers that uses the new draggable puzzle pieces idea that was used in the SAM? Also, I was wondering of there would be any chance of getting a version with crash barriers on either side and down the middle, like we have in the UK:

Exact usage can just be seen in this picture:

Also if these are possible but would need BATting, I would be willing to give them a shot (although my BAT talents are almost nil).

Thanks in advance,
Fred

Haljackey

Well, back in the day, Frankie_Grove (a member over at Simtropolis) and I were making medians and concepts for the RHW network.  I know they aren't the best, but whatever I will post them here:

(Note the original RHW texture, indicating that its old! This project has come a LONG way! ;))

And for my Multi-RHW Network:

But these medians would add extra tiles to the width of the RHW, no T21's (or whatever) here, sorry.  Its way over my head.  I can't believe how you all can mess with them so easily... I will congratulate you for that  &apls!

Anyways, for the steel median segments, I could see that they could go on the outside of the RHW, with a concrete barrier (Jersey or Tall-Man standard) could go on the inside.

Best,
-Haljackey

jplumbley

Quote from: Haljackey on October 24, 2007, 10:43:34 AM
But these medians would add extra tiles to the width of the RHW, no T21's (or whatever) here, sorry.  Its way over my head.  I can't believe how you all can mess with them so easily... I will congratulate you for that  &apls!

Anyways, for the steel median segments, I could see that they could go on the outside of the RHW, with a concrete barrier (Jersey or Tall-Man standard) could go on the inside.

Its not all as hard as you may think it is...  Obviously there is a bit more modding involved to tell the game what Wealth and Zones for the T21 to appear on, but it is essentially copy and paste the proper properties of a Lot Exemplar into a T21 Exemplar (Network Lot)... T21s can only be 1x1 in tile size, but they are really not that difficult to create.  If you were to make 1x1 tile Lots that would fit ON a network tile then we can definately help with that extra modding step.  Just a few extra numbers here and there.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

thundercrack83

I like idea of the barriers a lot! I hope that it can be implemented--and with the minds working on this project, I'm sure it can!

jplumbley

Quote from: thundercrack83 on October 24, 2007, 11:28:08 AM
I like idea of the barriers a lot! I hope that it can be implemented--and with the minds working on this project, I'm sure it can!

It can, we have the knowledge.  Its just time consuming and we are focusing our efforts on making the textures work first.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Palpatine001

Now that is coming along fine there with the off ramps

Also I would like to put my hand up for any testing ingame play please.

After thrashing the work around, Ill send a report back on AYEs and NAYs of what I have tested.
Now Idle

dragonshardz

<puts up hand to volunteer for testing as well>