• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nerdly_dood

They never are, sadly...But still, apart from the reflectors this is AMAZING.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

toxicpiano

Quote from: nerdly_dood on November 12, 2007, 12:24:33 PM
If you don't like the reflectors, do something with them yourself...
I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.

Palpatine001

Nice work on the MIS indeed, very well done  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have to agree on the comment of sloping the point at the roundabout but hey, I'll leave it to you guys to play round with

In the meantime

Looking at the roundabout and remembering one of my lot sets I did, I think I'll go and modify these

To suit the these new roundabouts for the MIS, have all the props ready to go, just need to do an update on the lots
Now Idle
Please leave a message after the beep and I'll get to you as soon as I can bother

Pat

Looks mighty interesting there palp... hmmm MIS and palps roundabout fillers hmmm... I think that would be a great marriage lol....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Starmanw402007

I have to agree with the Last poster. This roundabout looks great! has tony the tiger would say :D.

Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven Point & Maxiston
(Pround To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: nerdly_dood on November 12, 2007, 12:24:33 PM

Do you have some problem with me and/or the reflectors on the textures I'm doing?  If so, just say it directly to me here in the forums and stop taking cheap shots at me. :bomb:  I spend a lot of my free time to work on the textures for everybody's use & enjoyment in SC4 that I could use to do some stuff outside like exercising. lol.

If you think you could do a better job, I dare you to make 4-5 textures from the ground up and post them here in the forums in the next 24 hours.

Anyways, in closing, stop taking cheap shots @ me and direct the posts directly @ me, or just please be quite.
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Tarkus

I have to concur with James (rickmastfan67) here.  He's done a fantastic job with the textures, which are a significant improvement over the original textures included with the v12 release, and has truly helped bring this project to a new level (as has Shadow Assassin). 

As far as the reflectors go, in RL, reflectors come in a variety of sizes.  In addition, a lot of people underestimate how close SC4 scale matches RL scale on many fronts, particularly with the transit networks (excluding the half-scale Maxis Highways)--stuff is actually a lot smaller than people might think.  Of course, this is a pretty subjective thing.  But I can assure you that James is an accuracy buff, having discussed the textures at length with him, and having seen his work making custom content for other games (NR2003).  Looking at these reflectors here, which are being used as the striping on this particular RL highway [link], the reflectors are actually very close to the size utilized on the North American RHW textures.  (Keep in mind that 1 SC4 tile=16m, approximately 50 feet.)

nerdly_dood, you need to stop demanding that everyone tailor all of their modifications specifically for your tastes.  You are not the only one in the community

Everyone else, I'll be back with another development update shortly.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Ryan B.

Alex / Tarkus has a point there.  If you'd like to change something, the best bet is to try it yourself and maybe it can be an 'optional plugin', so that anyone else interested in your set has the opportunity to use it.

Let me tell y'all a story . . . . . come 'round and gather near the fire.  *sits*

Once upon a time (I think this was back in '04), I looked at the avenues in SC4, and I thought a center left turn lane would be perfect for that median.  I was able to get a few kernels of advice from a few more advanced texture artists, and I set to work 'paving the center turn lane'.  I released the textures I had (orthogonals only, no curves / diagonals).  The turn lane was pure eye candy - no Sims would use it (outside of UDI).

Fast forward to the present day:  Alex / Tarkus saw my textures and decided to use them as the base for the TLA project.  That's coming along better and better, and when it comes out, my idea will have finally become reality.

The morals of the story are:  1)  If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.  2)  Try it - you never know how well it's going to end up.

*NOTE:  I did not mean to 'toot my own horn', or disrespect / make fun of anyone in any way.  If I did, I apologize, as I didn't mean to insult anyone.

**EDIT:  One more post, and I hit 100!  Where should I put my 100th?  :)

jgehrts

Not to derail the thread... but derailing the thread.   ;)  I feel that there's a tendency for people (both here and in a number of other forums I read) to take some comment too personally sometimes.  I don't know if this nerdly_dood person has a history of cutting people or what, but the post had nothing inherently offensive about it, nor did I see any sort of cheap shot... in fact, work being described as "AMAZING" is usually considered a good thing.

That said, seeing the progress on this project and the nearly end results is awesome.

Filasimo

my are you fond of opening a can of worms nerdly.....but first ill get to jgehrts.....if you dont know the past situations regarding peoples history then its pretty safe to stay out of it if i was you.......as for nerdly if you dont like how progress is panning out learn how to texture to your own likings and do not make a stab at my fellow members....i honestly think you are trying to call out a flamewar against the team and thats bad medicine. as ryan (burgsabre) story goes i have a saying to: like momma used to tell me..."you best be lucky you guys got whats in front of yo plate! put up or shut up"
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

simzebu

Okay, let's get this topic back on track before someone goes crazy. (Not that I expect anyone to actually do that here. &Thk/( ) I'm sure nobody meant any offense by their posts, and if they did, remember: It's just a game, and this is just a gaming site. Don't take it personal. And, also, to quote from the link I just posted: "...remember that it's a real person on the other side, we'd also like to add 'who may be so crazy that they'll come burn down your house.'"

Moving on...
Great work, I really can't wait.
Known as Embolalia in numerous other places.

Penguins, Python, and Programming, oh my!

JGCarter

Yeah, no need to argue over the silly small things, lets just do our best to support Tarkus and the entire NAM team while they labor to bring us some goodies  &apls

dedgren

[linkie]

Quote...I want you to know... that I try. When they tell me that I'm supposed to control my violent temper, and be passive and nonviolent like they are, I try. I really try...

Uhhh- is there a problem here?

???

I thought not.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

callagrafx

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Filasimo

uhh Lee, whats up with the doggies eyes? they look like they were burnt off  :o
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

XiahouDun

Quote from: Filasimo on November 13, 2007, 03:07:18 AM
uhh Lee, whats up with the doggies eyes? they look like they were burnt off  :o
Bassets have saggy eyes like that, its why people say the always look sad. Though maybe the fact that its a picture of Flash... :D
Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

Starmanw402007

That picture of Roscoe reminds me of his famous laugh; Geeeegeeeee: :D

Your Friend;
Your Friend;

nerdly_dood

hey, don't get mad, i never said there wasn't something else for me!  i respect the work you are doing--ALL OF YOU--and my problem with the american textures isn't a major problem, so please CHILL and quit your  angrymore: ing.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Tarkus

Let's get back on topic now, shall we?   ;)

Intersection RULs are coming along on the MIS.  Here's some of the options you'll have with intersecting Avenues with MIS ramps orthogonally (please excuse my thrown-together prototype textures ;)):

There's a few more orthogonal intersections in the works which are nearly coded as well.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Heblem

Tarkus: Excellent work in that "mod" i can call, hehe this one is really interesting.

If you need a texture for that one i can make you one ;)