• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

So, we've got collaboration under way.

RL EVENT ALERT!  Back in a bit...

...and I'm back.  Almost a day later, but hey...

(3-18-07 5:20 or so in the morning Alaska time  GMT-9)  Well, I've rewickered our list...

Index   Development Characteristics                                        Originally   
Available
Remaining       
Available
Administrator/Planner
1Large city CBD and core22
2Large city primarily industrial22
3Large city primarily commercial/
warehousing
4Large city primarily hi-to medium
density residential
5Large city primarily medium to
low density residential
6Port22
7International airport11
8Upscale suburbia22
9Middle-class suburbia31Travis, Tarkus
10Small city 10-25k42Unkles27, BigSlark
11Town 1-10k63M4346, zniehadajet, Zaphod
12Resort/Island town 1-10k20Gaston, threestooges
13Place/Village <1k86barnatom, dedgren
14Rural agricultural109meldolion
15Rural regional park43Rayden
16Rural nature preserve22

So, I cut the first group of folks off at 12, threw in my nic to make a baker's dozen [linkie], gave everyone their first choice...

...and there you have it.

In short, here's what I'm going to do now.  I will start preparing each of our new Administrator/Planners the quad that he or she will be working on: writing a more or less quad specific back story, including details about the physiographic and historical setting, creating a topo map (yes, the topo maps again), and doing final detail work on the quad itself.  We'll also begin discussing the plugins folders and other issues.  Later today I will post some more info on this process and, as I do that, answer some specific questions that have been raised in the past few comments.

The application process remains open for any category with available quads.  I'm really sort of glad that the more urbanized areas will develop a little later- give us a chance to work out some of the kinks.  If you have any desire to do this at all, by all means throw in your name.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

barnatom

Hello dedgren, hello everyone

This is my first post here at sc4d and my first post in the sc4 comunity since a while.

First let me say that I am very impressed by your work in 3RR, dedgren. You have shown us a lot of very beautiful images. Thank you very much!

Now I wish to become active again in the comunity. And I cannot think of a better way than participating in your great region.

It would be a pleasur for me to be invited to develope a city-tile in 3RR. My preferences are as following:

13. Place/Village
6. Port
1. Large city CBD and core

One question: Do you mean a large city tile or simly a big city (perhaps split up in medium size tiles)? I ask because my computer is slowing down significantly when playing large city tiles once they are more than lightly developed. So, if you have some medium city tiles to be developed into city centres I would like to face the challenge. In this case my preferences would be: 1 - 13 - 6.

I hope you understand, what I am trying to ask (sorry for my bad english - I am not a native speaker).

My last posts in my never finished CJs on Simtropolis were made some time ago, so I have to be aware that you are unfamiliar with my work. In case you want to now about my playing style I will show you some pictures:

A small town (1)

A small town (2)

A small town (3)

Landscape (1)

A small port

A bigger port

A Paris style city (1)

A Paris style city (2)

A Paris style city (3)

Landscape (2)

A small town (4)

Urban development

A suburb

My first city after discovering Simtropolis

I hope to qualify to participate in your wonderful region.

thundercrack83

Hey, David! Glad to see the collaboration is getting underway! I can't wait to see some development. I'll back tomorrow to see what else you have in store, but now I think I must go to bed.

Take care,

Dustin

Heinz

i think i'm turning councilman with this one so i just wanted it to be here.  :P since i haven't really made a home for myself here yet, and since this is one of the (if not THE) premiere in collaboration of the sc4devotion community. thanks david for making us all feel at home. always in anticipation of the next update

meinhosen

Great to see that the collaborative effort is starting to sprout wings - I'm going to keep a close eye on it to see how things work out.  Good luck on the development!
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

kimcar

I just pass by for said good luck to this huge project. I know it`s gonna be a great one to follow because , David it`s look that you always give your maximum for a work like this . Have fun everyone. :thumbsup:

Cali

the progress of 3rr is coming along nicely, thank you for all your hard work in this. it was a masterpiece at ST. and it is one here. &apls &apls &apls
"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

Unkles27

alright, my first choice, I can't wait to get started!

Tarkus

Looks like I got my first choice as well.  Thanks David, for the opportunity, and for putting this whole thing together.  Looking forward to it! :thumbsup:

-Alex (Tarkus)

kalanc69

Hi! I just wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your MD and have learned alot from it! I was just wondering if you ever finished the tutorial on seasonal trees? I am assuming I missed the final part, and would appreciate it if you could let me know on what page it is located..Thanks again!

Kalanc69

Zaphod

cool, so were gearing up to get going on this

im interested to see how this goes

War Kittens !?

BigSlark

I, too, got my first choice. I'm excited to get started on this project.

Is it cheating if Tarkus uses his MIS Alpha ramps in his cities?  :D

I'll be eagerly awaiting details, David!

Gaston

Wooohooo!!! Collaboration will be happening soon.    I'm stoked.   Hmmm, kalanc69 asked:
QuoteI was just wondering if you ever finished the tutorial on seasonal trees? I am assuming I missed the final part, and would appreciate it if you could let me know on what page it is located..
Now that you mention it I was so excited about collaboration I forgot about that myself.     :D   Did you David?   Cause if you did I missed it too. 

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Pat

Hey David it is awsome to see that devolpment is soon to get underway...
Congrats on this milestone achievement, it seems only yesterday that you announced that soon
you will be opening up 3RR to be devolp by the community and now some months down the
road here we are getting mayors set for that biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig challange  &apls &apls &apls

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Enzo

hello all,
pardon my ignorance, but have you made this region from scratch with SC4 Terraformer or did you use some USGS data ? this is unclear for me.
amazing work !

cheers,
enzo

Pat

Quote from: Enzo on March 19, 2007, 12:59:49 AM
hello all,
pardon my ignorance, but have you made this region from scratch with SC4 Terraformer or did you use some USGS data ?

Hi Enzo welcome to 3RR and also to SC4Devotions,  well to answer your question David has done all this fantastic
work with SC4 Terraformer tool,  so there is no need to worry about ignorance what so ever cause every one here is very
friendly and helpful that is what we strive to do here, any further questions please dont be affraid and ask any one.
cheers Pat[/b]

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Heinz

hello enzo. glad to have you here. if you go to the lowest quarter of this page here you will see the history of this very realistic region that our beloved dedgren has sculpted with the terraformer in its 1 year and a few days of existence. if you have the time to go through the 39 pages and almost 800 posts, i believe you will be moved to come here more often.  :thumbsup:

Enzo

thanks chaps  ;D
this is exactly what I love in simcity : the players. You guys, welcome new member as it used to be in the good old days of the internet, not so far anyway. There is a very good feeling in this community.

thanks again for this warm welcome  :thumbsup:

Giligone

Quote from: dedgren on March 16, 2007, 10:34:44 AM
LOL, Giligone...

hahah! I loved rocky and bowinkle! Ahhh, good times. Not that I'm nearly that old.... but it was still on tv when I was a wee tot.  :D

dedgren

Hey, I am so sorry.  I certainly did not mean to leave folks waiting on the seasonal tree lots tutorial high and dry.  I got up early this morning to see if I could get that moving back along.

Enzo, though, in a first comment here at 3RR, asked a question that some folks who may not have been along the road with us since what I then called 3RR162 began last fall might be wondering-

Quotehave you made this region from scratch with SC4 Terraformer or did you use some USGS data ?

Now, pat (patfirefghtr) and heinz (zniehadajet) have very helpfully (thanks, guys!) given you the short answer.  The little bit longer answer, my friend, is best shown in a few pics.

In mid October, 2006, 3RR stood here- a region four quads by four (although it was divided a bit differently).

I first assembled all the terrain views from screenshots into a region size whole.

Next, I hand-drew contour lines in areas of elevation changes...

...then "painted" them in with a greyscale gradient recognized by wouanagaine's great SC4Terraformer...

...arriving ultimately at this.

I then took the greyscale map and imported it into the Terraformer specifying a 16x16 quad (large city square) region size.  Here's an early-on pic of what Terraformer gave me back.

Next, I opened each quad in SC4.

All 256 of them.

This process gave me this...

I did a first pass of general terraforming...

...that resulted in this...

...which I then fine-terraformed into this.

Took me about a month.  What a long, strange trip it's been [linkie].

If you want the detailed story, you can start here [linkie] over at 3RR-ST and read forward for about 10 or so pages.

I'm going to work really hard to get at least the next tutorial section pics up by tonight.

Once that's done, we'll get back to collaboratin'.

Later.

David

Sign image is from the Manual of Traffic Signs, by Richard C. Moeur.
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax