• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino007

Merry Christmas!!!!
I was hoping that STR will be released today because tht would be the best present for me this christmas!
Keep on good work :thumbsup:
TIGR

TheTeaCat

Season's greeting to you and yours :thumbsup:

Always love popping in to see whats happened and as always it's good ;D

I'll take a guess at 206,333 views by your deadline ;D

Regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

BigSlark

David,

I'm going to guess 205,000.

Merry Christmas!

Cheers,
Kevin

PhilsCafe

Merry Christmas, David! All the best to you and your family!

And greet Santa from me, will you? I know he's hiding up there in Alaska :D

- Phil

deathtopumpkins

Ho ho ho!

Merry christmas 3RR!
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

MandelSoft

Merry Christmas, 3RR (and to all SC4 devotees!)

Best,
Maarten

199282 views, I think we will make it before the 26th!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Haljackey

Merry Christmas everyone! 

Hope the weather's better where you live!  We got rain yesterday, which turned into ice overnight.  Then the plow came and put it all in the driveway...  Spent all morning chipping it away :P.

Best,
-Haljackey

Jonathan

Merry Christmas David and everyone else!
I hope everyone's is having a good day, I can't wait to see what you've done.

Less than 700 views before the 200K :thumbsup:

Jonathan

sithlrd98

Merry Christmas everyone!!! The weather sure doesn't feel too much like Christmas here in SE North Carolina...64 and light rain. 

Jayson

metarvo

Merry Christmas, David!  It's good that you got back home safely.  Did you say earlier that you would be getting "back to 3RR?"  I know I'm ready for that!  :)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Ryan B.

Merry Christmas to you and your family, David.  God bless and keep you all during this rollercoaster ride we call 'life'.

dedgren

This is pure whimsy.

On the plane last night, one of my goals was to check out each of the STR puzzlepieces "in action" one last time in preparation for the event that's coming up, er... shortly...

...yes, that's the ticket!  ...shortly...

I think Fred [linkie] has, as usual, nailed it.  Anyway, remember when I've said pretty emphatically that SC4 is not intended to be a model railroad simulator?

Well, scratch that.

Here's Layout No. 2.  It takes up a large part of a small quad, and is the classic Lionel Trains [linkie] "circle in a circle" setup.

Now, this is "zone-and-run" pure Maxis, so don't look for any great superdetailing or terraforming.

Actually, I think that's pretty true to the "4x8 sheet of plywood" approach that I remember doing as a kid 50 years ago back in the Chicago 'burbs.

I still have a bunch of "O" gauge [linkie] stuff- someday I'll show you some of that.  I'd planned to pass it on to Tristen and Joshua, but life doesn't always work out as planned.

The "game" buildings and lots really do evoke the "plopped from the box" nature of a model railroad.

I used Jan's (Swamper77) train generators [linkie], plopped and then immediately bulldozed, to start the two trains running.

The speed can't be varied, of course, and there's no block control...

...but you can't have everything.  Quite frankly, I never would have believed, up until a month or two ago, that you would be able to do this.

I found myself sitting on the plane mesmerized, just watching the trains go around and around.  For a bit, I was seven years old again, listening to steel wheels thundering across that plywood roadbed.

Other passengers walking up the aisle would stop and peer over my shoulder for a minute, then invariably ask, "where'd you get that?"

I didn't tell anyone that a few good friends of mine and I had made it.

I don't think they would have understood.  I explained that it was the computer game Sim City 4, and just about uniformly got told, "that's pretty neat."

This just might be the start of a whole new SC4 genre.  I can't imagine what you could create taking time and care.

Well, we have beautiful new snow in Alaska this morning.  Pics of that, and a whole lot more, later in the day today.

Merry Christmas!

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Andreas

Ohhh, this awakens a lot of fond memories! What a wonderful translation of a true model railroad into SimCity 4. Just lovely. :)
Andreas

girlfromverona

So that's what Maxis buildings look like... With all the custom content in my plugins folder, I hardly ever see them in my cities anymore!  :D

I was never into model railways myself, but damn, that looks amazing!!!

art128

That's fantastic David  :thumbsup:
It's looking very funny !  :D
and a late Merry Christmas  &apls &apls &apls
Arthur.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

un1

Merry Christmas, David!
It looks fantastic.  &apls

-un1

Gaston

MERRY  CHRISTMAS
I hope everyone had a great holiday.

---Gaston

EDITAl, you too, my friend.  My thoughts are with you today in particular. -DE

白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

nerdly_dood

Not bad, David - and a nice touch with the model-railroad analogy.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Silur

&apls &apls &apls
Hi, David ...
MERRY CHRISTMAS

north country dude

Merry Christmas everybody! Peace to you all!

Before y'all wonder who let the mangy cat in, I just want to explain that my dial-up connection hates MDs, I don't. I love them. That's why I'm rarely seen anywhere but the RAM development thread.

I had been patiently waiting for the beta-test files and wondered when they would be sent. Then I found out
that they had been sitting on my mother's 10 year old PC (and old NetScape messenger application). Seems that when she gets her e-mail and these 4.5Mb files trickle into her PC over our 56k dial-up account, she neglects to tell me.

Sheesh! Both my parents are in their 70's and are somewhat physically handicapped-they can still walk, just not very well. What this means is that I have a lot of responsibilities and need extra patience where they are concerned. I'm also their liaison to all things digital(-Computers, Dish Network, DVD players, etc.) But I digress.

Hopefully, Network Addon Mod rev 081224-01.zip is the only file I need? It supersedes the previous ones? I got that one and loaded it per instructions. No major issues except the ones mentioned in this topic, for example; pathing problems, incompatibility with the RHW, that sort of thing.

One minor visual error I've noticed is on the STR starter piece. The track on one tile seems lighter than the tile section you begin dragging STR from, again, this is very minor.

Another visual error occurs when rotating the view angle. Seems that all of the STR pieces disappear until you go back into the transit menu, then they reappear. Has this been mentioned before?

As for the RHW incompatibility issue; ##intersection placement string missing## <- is that the error?

As Tarkus explains:
QuoteYou can actually still use RHW Version 2.0 with the STR Controller, however, the puzzle piece ring does not function properly, and only the RHW-4 Starter Piece is available.  This is because the configuration of the buttons/TAB Loops, which is partly controlled by one of the RUL files in the Controller, was completely changed for RHW Version 3.0.  The only piece that is still in the same location between the two versions is the RHW-4 starter piece.  (The pieces are now sorted by type under separate buttons.)

All the draggable functionality, though, is still there (and you can probably do a few new things with it, even), and as long as you have the RHW Version 2.0 .dat still installed, all of your pre-existing RHWs will still be in your cities and function properly.

He then provides an interim fix file. Hopefully this will bridge some gaps until RHW 3.0 comes out?

From what I've read here, the RAM phase 1 beta testing is going well and hopefully many problems will be avoided when it comes to the phase 2 beta tests.

I thank all of the beta testers for their patience and ask that they continue looking for errors and problems, so that they can help build a better product.

-ncd 
"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain, and most fools do. But it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving." -Dale Carnegie