• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Thames District: I'm on holiday.

Started by joelyboy911, August 21, 2009, 04:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobbi

Good suburbs and plaza. And I like part2. &apls

Welcome to page 8

2010.8.4 - I get on SC4D with PSP. So cool.:D
2010.8.14 - I can get on the Internet at home.:)

sumwonyuno

I haven't seen any of the movies  &ops, but it makes me wonder what kind of automata plugin you're using.

That estuary is a nice touch, though, I'm not sure if the sand would be that white so close to one.  The river to muddy water transition is excellent.

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!

io_bg

Really nice work on the latest update. First, the memorial. It looks great, however, a few "randomwalk" effects will make it look much more alive. Also, some diversity in the trees would be nice, too ;) As for the suburbs, if I were you, I'd put some trees in the empty places between the houses :) The first thing that I thought after seeing the river mouth was "wow". But, I think it should be a delta, not an estuary (there's some difference between these two words ;))
Keep up the great work!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Earth quake

Wonderful Update, the memorial park is very beautiful.
Beside, the estuary is simply splendid.

WC_EEND

Incredible job on the river! The park lot is a bit too empty in my opinion though

RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

Nardo69

Joel, that transition is great. Even more because those transitions are really a pain in the a... as I do know from my very own experience!

It is that good that I almost oversaw (well ...  ::) I am still Nardo ...) that there are some level crossing too much at Thames Sportpark (including a ... avenue ... level ... crossing with is really off limits!)

Take care my friend!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

joelyboy911

Replies

Adrian (adroman)
Thank you. I concur, it needs some carparks to look complete. But, if you inspect that lot very closely, you will see the entrance to the underground carpark.

Alex (driftmaster07)
Thanks. I felt the need to put that there, because, well... it's true.

Bobbi
Thanks, I'm glad you liked my estuary (it is an estuary, I'll get to that shortly). Thanks for the welcome to page 8 - it seems like such a short amount of time has passed since I started this MD, and now we're here 12 updates later on page 8. Thanks!

sumwonyuno
Don't worry about that, I was making an excuse for all the crazy drivers by saying that they were doing some crazy boy-racer drift racing! Actually, I haven't got an automata plugin yet. You've reminded me how much I want to get rid of the stupid maxis cars. You're probably right about the sand, but getting gradual transitions for those sorts of things is just too hard.

Ioan (io_bg)
Firstly, Thanks for telling me my park was terrible. I have made it better, and have a picture to show now. Now, I must point out that it actually was an estuary, and I'm going to explain that with pictures just down from here. That stream, also, is not the main river that flows into the estuary, and I have pictures now also of the one that is. Thanks again!

Earth Quake
Thanks! Even though I also thought the memorial park was nice, I have re-done it. I hope you like it after as well! Merci!

Xander (WC_EEND)
Thanks, I have made the park better now. You're right, it was boring and empty.

Bernhard (Nardo69)
Thanks. You're right, they are hard. Even more so when its a bigger river. I hope the one I present today is as good.
Ooh, yes you are still Nardo. Hmmm...how can I explain this away? well... the avenue... itself... is.... Oh screw it. You're right. If I'd seen your post before I got today's pictures, I would've fixed it and shown you. It probably would have given me a chance to use my new viaducts as well. Thanks!

Pictures

First, the improved park.

Note, I have added the fountains and pond. Also, more people and trees. I think its a great improvement, myself.

Now, the Estuary. I want to dedicate these pictures to five great people: SimFox, Pegasus, Jeronij, C.P. and Goldiva Why? What do these guys share? and why are pictures dedicated to them?

They have all given me the tools to create these amazing lanscapes (if I may say so myself). Their BATs and subsequent modding to produce Mayor Mode flora has opened up to me an entire new way to create in SimCity 4. Thanks guys!

Now, a more serious thing:

Quote from: WikipediaAn estuary is a semi-enclosed coastal body of water with one or more rivers or streams flowing into it, and with a free connection to the open sea. Estuaries are thus subject to both marine influences, such as tides, waves, and the influx of saline water; and riverine influences, such as flows of fresh water and sediment. As a result they may contain many biological niches within a small area, and so are associated with high biological diversity.

Estuaries are typically the tidal mouths of rivers (aestus is Latin for tide), and they are often characterized by sedimentation or silt carried in from terrestrial runoff and, frequently, from offshore. They are made up of brackish water. Estuaries are often given names like bay, sound, fjord, etc. The terms are not mutually exclusive.

So, I think what we can take from this, is that my thing is a river estuary, and not a delta, because it is enclosed by a sandbar or spit. And, In a way, the whole Firth of Thames itself is an estuary. I actually think a river delta is, in many cases a type of estuary anyway.

Two shots, just to show the sandbar, and the mouth of the Estuary.

And this one, shows the river. I wanted to show an overview of the whole estuary, but I couldn't get it to work right.

Thanks everyone.

Keep commenting, and don't hesitate to voice any opinions. but remember, be constructive!
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

adroman

Awesome half an update Joel... If you had Charlie Sheen here, you could make a TV show...

...Trust me, my jokes are for my sanity, not for your entertainment...

Again, beautiful memorial, and estuary! I went back, and I see what you mean, there is a tiny ramp... The fountains make that memorial even better!

Havva good one.
737s, Air Force, Australia... what next?

BarbarossaS

I agree, the park looks much better. And that river is awesomely detailed.
Superb work, my friend!  &apls &apls

-Stijn-

Glowbal

djvandrake

Battlecat

That park is coming along quite nicely!  The additional details really do help it a lot!  The only thing I can think of that you could consider adding at this point would be a handful of benches.  They're a pretty minor detail though. 

Your estuary is also looking great, love how you've detailed it!  You've done a great job with the water transitions. 

sumwonyuno

&apls

That teaser picture still didn't prepare me enough to how the rest of the area looked like.  It looks so real!

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!

KoV Liberty

Wow! That looks great Joel! Also there is a typo in your tiny tex where it say "but remember, be constructive." A great update nontheless and looking foreward to the next!

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

Nexis4Jersey

Bobbi

2010.8.4 - I get on SC4D with PSP. So cool.:D
2010.8.14 - I can get on the Internet at home.:)

Earth quake

The mosaic of the estuary is simply awesome and splendid.
Great work.

Fabian93

Great update :thumbsup:
I love that improved park with those small "fountains" on both sides, it looks really cool &apls,

Fabian

Nanami