• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BIG Problem during backup

Started by tito_golden, February 14, 2012, 10:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tito_golden

Hi people! well... I've decided to backup all my previous backups (cities, regions, full folders, plugin folders, etc.) in an external Hard Disk.

During the copy of files from my computer to the external hard disk, I was able to notice that copying some folders with lot of archives (like plugins folder), when I click in properties, it report more archives at the external hard disk than in the origin folder of my computer.

For example, 4800 archives in one folder, when I do the copy to the HD, it says that in HD I have 4988 archives... that issue is going to kill me! :angrymore:

I've tried everything, for example compress them (more archives again), compress them in another (short) route (more again, always same number), format the HD to NTFS better than FAT32 (same results)...

Now I've noticed that when moving archives from desktop (where I have them) to C:/ I also have the same bigger number of archives when moving them into the same internal hard disk (I thought, maybe is a routing problem...) but now i don't know how to solve it...

Some expert in this kind of things or in SC4 backup process??

Quickly please! my computer is "dying" and I have to reinstall windows and format C: but I don`t want to leave all my backups there when doing the format process!!!

Lot of thanks, truly.

whatevermind

First guess, is that you have hidden archives that you're copying.  For whatever reason they don't show up in the location you're copying from, but they appear whenever you copy them to somewhere else.  Either way, if you're at risk of losing your hard drive, I'd say do the backup, however many files it tells you have, and then worry about the extra files after you have a working computer again.  Unless you're crunched for space, it's just not worth worrying about until your computer situation is stabilized.

Also, unless these mystery files are coming directly from the SC4 directory in either Program Files or My Documents, you might be better off posting about this in a computer help forum.  If, however, this is specific to your SC4 folders, then more detail in exactly what these new files are might help us better pinpoint the issue.  Good luck!