• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Erastide

Started by Gayowulf, May 19, 2011, 07:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallasey

Stunning work and fantastic presentation.

I am enjoying your  city and transport planning!

Schulmanator

You have some great stuff here. Rock on!
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

Nexis4Jersey

Wow i like How much detail you put into your city.... :)

Swesim

I wasn´t sure what to think when I first opened up this MD, but I must say that it has been darn fun to read Your comments to the pics and that make it worth following for sure.

Gayowulf

Matthijs [mave94] -
Thanks, and welcome to Erastide! Make yourself comfy, and stick around for the rest of the development. Bit by bit, as you say. It takes me a while.

Flatron -
Hold it right there! What? Erastide got compared to SIILIJOKI?! Ummmmm..... pardon me for a moment while I SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

But you won't need a tent (unless you like camping). Erat has a number of very fine hotels, and our real estate bureau would be delighted hook you up with something a little more permanent, if you like. ;)

Raphael [RickD] -
Now wouldn't that be a shocker! Luckily for the people of Erat, though, that road doesn't go anywhere. Yet.

Thanks for visiting!

Noah [noahclem] -
Why, thank you! I'm blushing!
I'd be a terrible magician. I can't resist the urge to show off the whole process of how I do stuff! ;)

Welcome to Erastide, and I hope you enjoy your stay!

Robin [rooker1] -
Thanks! The fun part is that I don't actually show all the (failed) attempts. SC4 sure can be a finicky game, but we love it anyway!

Elias [Terring7] -
Thanks! It's always nice to see you around!

vortext -
Um, you haven't seen it probably because I take inexcusably long amounts of time to update, so Erastide is always at the bottom of the list? :D
Welcome!

wallasey -
Thanks! I put a lot of time into the presentation, so it's great to know it's not wasted!

Schulmanator -
Welcome to Erastide, and thanks for the encouragement!

Nexis4Jersey -
I do obsess over the details, perhaps too much or we'd by three city tiles in by now! But that's just life, I guess. Welcome to Erastide!

Swesim -
Why thank you! Glad you enjoyed it, and welcome to Erastide!

Welcome back to Erastide, friends! Yeah, I have no excuses. This should've been up ages ago. Sorry... :( Granted, at least part of that time I was way up in the mountains, but only for a little while.

Regardless, today we onward! Also, apparently, today we forget how to English! ;)

When we last left our heroes... erm, little town of Erat... we built some residential neighborhoods and filled in a few crooks and nannies. Wait, um, nooks and crannies.

Erat is a town of mixed agriculture, residential, industrial, and commercial, and this update will feature some of that blend. See, I got this idea from my adding little houses to the little farm plots (back in Update 5) and I wanted to try mixing residential and agricultural land on a (slightly) larger scale. So, here goes nothing!

Here's where we'll be working today:

Pardon the little bump in the Road to Nowhere...

First up, the zoning:

Secondly, the growing!

Hum. Dilapidation, much?

Let's not forget that little coastal area to the south:

I can haz a seaside promenade in MY backyard, please?

Hey look! Some of MattB's houses! Unfortunately, surrounded by fugly Maxis.

But a little commercial zoning and some waiting later, and the area fixes itself quite nicely:

Our next area will feature a slight departure from my usual style of terraforming. The fields in this area will be larger, and I'm going to try putting the houses on a slope. Eek... I'm not so much good with slopes. Wish me luck!

I'm trying to use railroads to get a nice smooth slope here.

OH NO YOU DON'T!

Sigh... I hate having to blast everything and re-terraform.

Not perfect, but it'll have to do...

And here's the result:

Hey, lookie! The avenue's sidewalks actually look right this time!

See that empty parallelogram between the tracks and the avenue? That's our target for next time. First person to guess what's going there gets a gold star! (No, really. An actual gold star! Erm, digital-style.)

Until next time, take care!
Goodness me, it's been a while.
Once upon a (very long) time (ago) I was working on Calidore: A Steampunk Experiment... maybe that will happen again someday.

If you're thinking I used to have a different name on here... I did. It still me!

RickD

Great to see a new update. I have this "Oh no you don't" moment frequently when zoning farms.  :D
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

nedalezz

Definitely a pleasure watching you turn a patch of barren land into development!  &apls

FrankU

Nice MD!
The images and the city are good, but the way you tell us about your fight with the city and the game gives it its personal funny touch. It's not only the result that counts, but also the way you go and the style of your diary.

My guess: a university!

And you really should fix the corner between the old wooden harbour and the higher Marrast seawalls in image 01.008.04.

mrbisonm

Just to make this MD even better......
Before taking a picture, hit the *G* Key on your keyboard to make the grid disappear. The picture will look a lot better! ;)

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Gayowulf

Raphael [RickD] -
Teehee! Isn't it great when the simulator just can't seem to get it right? ;) Sometimes I feel like I spend more time with the bulldozer than with the rest of the game combined!

As always, a pleasure to see you around Erastide!

nedalezz -
Why, thank you, and welcome to Erastide! Enjoy your stay; there's a lot of barren land to go through...

FrankU -
Thanks! I've always loved MDs that show all the details, so that's what I try to emulate. As for that corner with the old wooden harbor... actually it's already fixed, but you won't see it for a very long time. Actually the Erat tile is done now (yeah, I'm way behind on the updates) and I didn't get around to it until the very last detail work on the city tile.

University? What an interesting guess...

Fred [mrbisonm] -
Welcome to Erastide!
I guess it's a matter of taste, but on most of the pictures the grid is intentional. Since I'm showing all the steps, I think it's helpful to have the grid there so everyone can see what's going on. When I'm taking eyecandy shots and overviews, I do (usually) remember to turn it off (like in 01.008.12). Thanks for the feedback, though; it's always appreciated!

Greetings, all! Remember this?

Last update, I believe, we had a sneak peak at that little empty space between the avenue and the railroad tracks, and I offered a gold star to anyone who could guess its purpose correctly. While nobody did, FrankU made a guess that it would be a university. So... you get a silver star for effort. ;)

So, what's actually going here? Well, while I'd normally approve of universities, I'm trying to keep the education level in this town (relatively) low (for now) to keep up agricultural demand. (Yeah, you can go ahead and tell me what a horrible person I am... ;)) So instead, we'll have...
A statium!

Yes, I chose sports over education. What? Don't judge me...

And of course, like any stadium, it needs lots of parking.

Pay special attention to that little 3x3 residential over there...[/i]

Not okay! We'll just let that stew while we work on something else.

Our next project is, you guessed it, more residential! We keep working our way steadily across the top of the map:

Notice anything different about the train tracks yet? ;)

As always, the zoning and decorations:

Rich folks love fences, right? Maybe they'll like this little corner!

SUCCESS!

While we were off around the corner, look at what popped up!

Gave that rich a fence. Riches love fences.

And an overview of the area so far:

One of these days I'm gonna have to do something about those dilapidated farms...

Remember that old industrial area from way back when? You know, this one:

That's about to undergo a few changes. For example, we have a little garbage problem going on in Erat, and that needs to be dealt with before it gets out of hand. Also we're having some pollutions in our airs that needs to not be theres.

First up is a modern waste-to-energy station:

Thanks, SimGoober!

Followed by some of PEG's artificial trees.

And that cleans up the area nicely!

To finish off today, a couple of eyecandy shots:

Catch you next time!
Goodness me, it's been a while.
Once upon a (very long) time (ago) I was working on Calidore: A Steampunk Experiment... maybe that will happen again someday.

If you're thinking I used to have a different name on here... I did. It still me!

Swordmaster

Looks like you've found quite a unique style. I like it. And the bright colors, too!

Cheers
Willy

RickD

Great location for a stadium. And who cares about education when you can watch sports instead.  $%Grinno$%
The rail line looks much better without the dirt texture.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Schulmanator

Looks like a very cheerful town. .I like it.
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

ivo_su

Aefel you have the potential to insert this thing into the hall of fame. Keep it up the good impressions that leave.

sunv123

That's a lot of parking space for handicapped people. :D

Great job on this MD! :thumbsup: Looking forward for more!
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

MTT9

Have just found your MD and let me say it looks great!!! Will have to keep an eye on it :)
You can call me Matt