• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

GRV II - Challenge 4

Started by The_Hutt, May 04, 2009, 04:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Hutt

Jmouse

Greetings Mayor Nick,

I am J. Mouse, District Commander of THRILL! (Tree Hugging Rangers International, Ltd., LLP!) You may call me Ms. Mouse.

We chose to abandon the South because we couldn't bear to see another tree replaced by an ugly office building or crowded neighborhood. My people are tired and hungry now, however – toting all those rocks around was hard work.

I assure you,  Mr. Mayor, we are in a position to make demands so we have laid out the following instructions for you:

1. Reconnect the road in Tile L and place a small ranger station or lookout tower in the tile next to the intersection. Choose the structure carefully, keeping in mind that we are rural tree huggers who like a more rustic environment.

2. For power, we prefer the Natural Gas Cookery which can be found here. I think one water tower will be enough for now. Position it as indicated and pipe water to all occupied areas on our side of Tile L. As the population within this tile grows, it is your responsibility to add more water pipes and a second tower if necessary.

3. Lay out streets as indicated on the illustration. The street north of the residential area should be changed to a road at the western border and a default connection made to tile F. All other streets drawn in RED should connect to the appropriate highways as indicated, and they should be Maxis grey streets. Streets within the R$ zone should be Maxis grey as well. Within the farming area, streets should be SAM dirt if you have the MOD, otherwise Maxis grey. Lay a Maxis grey street along the eastern edge, following the shoreline and outer edge of the farming area as needed.

Important note: Leave one row of tiles open between the streets parallel to the western and northern borders. Plant trees in the blank tiles (oak, elm and/or shore pine).

4a. You are ordered to lay out a neighborhood in the indicated area zoned R$. Please keep in mind that we do not like grids nor do we like W2W houses. We do like at least 35-60% curvy streets, and we like trees in our neighborhoods, preferably oak, elm and shore pine. If possible, please run the simulation long enough to get past the house-trailer growth stage.

4b. We don't like grids in our farming areas either. We do understand, however, that specific-sized grids are necessary in some cases to trigger the growth of certain farms.

4c. Zone C$ areas in the two locations indicated.
Leave one tile open around the northernmost one (see illustration) and plant trees in the open area as described above.

5. Place a small church within the R$ zone.
Place a small police station and small or medium fire station in a location which provides the largest service area on our side of the tile at the least monthly cost. You may build one or two additional streets to accommodate the stations if necessary, but keep it short and simple.

It is your responsibility to make sure our demands are met to our satisfaction. If you are unsure of any instructions, or something will not work as ordered, contact us at once. We prefer that you post in this thread, however a PM is acceptable with the understanding that it may be copied and pasted in this thread.

Important elements like the shape and location of streets within the R$ and farming zones have been left to your discretion. The manner in which you fulfill our demands should reflect your respect for our organization, our ideals and our wishes...or lack of respect as the case may be. The future of our relationship with you and your government is in your hands.

May all your acorns sprout strong oak trees...

Ms. Mouse

The_Hutt

Well, tree-hugger, the North is just right for you.

I'm going to warn you just this once that literally *every* *square* *inch* of the North region is covered with towering redwood trees. (This is in fact the major difference between north and south). You may want to revise my orders to reflect this fact - for example, I can't plant new elm/oak/pine trees without tearing down existing redwoods which would be contrary to the stated purpose of the separatist organization.

That's all.

- Nick

Jmouse

Mayor Nick,

You are permitted to remove the redwood trees which stand in the way of currently-ordered progress, but no more than absolutely necessary at this time.

In the near future, we will make arrangements to process and use the wood. While it may not be quite as satisfying to hug a telephone pole or a landscape timber, we'll deal with it.

Now get busy, do the job and get your crew out of here. Don't be leaving any McDonalds wrappers or plastic cups behind either.

Waste not, want not...
Ms. Mouse

mrbisonm

Reminder:

The time limit is in about 24 hrs, don't foget.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

The_Hutt

No worries, I'll have it by the deadline.

The_Hutt

I am uploading pictures now - please wait momentarily!

The_Hutt

My opponent's orders.

Quote from: The_Hutt on May 06, 2009, 05:31:53 PM
Thank you very much!

Your orders will be derived from the following image:

1. Please construct standard two-lane roads where there are red lines. You may use FAR pieces where appropriate. For the bridge crossings, please use simple structures and not suspension spans and the like.

2. The pink magenta dots indicate a region where the separatists have demanded a state park to be built - you may name it whatever you wish. You may not develop standard RCI buildings here, and the red road is to be the only entrance to the park. If you want to, you may extend this entry road to anywhere within the park, but it should not cross the boundary again and leave the park! Your challenge is to create a scenic experience for the population. This may include a visitor center, trails, campground, and other natural things you would find in your typical state park. Focus on preserving the natural beauty by removing as few trees as possibles. We especially encourage integrating the large rock on the river bend as a core aspect.

3. Construct a village centre just to the south of the state park. The blue should be small commercial developments, such as restaurants, banks, storefronts, and small hotels. Use your imagination. Please note that a height restriction is imposed - your commercial buildings should be no taller than the surrounding trees. Green should include essential city services (police, fire, school, health clinic) and single-family dwellings, with perhaps a few small apartment complexes sprinkled in between (again, no buildings taller than the treeline, please). If you must demolish trees to make way for development, please plant new ones throughout the village. No roads beyond the red ones already drawn above are permitted. Use of SAM textures is encouraged.

This is not required, but I recommend recreating the small, touristy-town feel of California's famous Redwood Coast (the Pacific Coast stretching from north of Marin County to the Oregon border), for instance towns like Fort Bragg, Eureka, Arcata, Mendocino, and Crescent City can serve as models for your development.

4. You are construct a new subdivision of single-family homes in the green areas indicated. Please fit the homes between the trees; that is, you should preserve the natural groves and avoid cutting them down.

5. Please note that this is optional. If you do not have time to do this portion don't sweat it.

Construct farm areas in the yellow areas with the appropriate road/street connections and irrigation systems, again avoiding cutting down trees as much as possible. I dislike rectangular fields, so be creative. Additionally, I would like to see a single tile-row of trees between each of the fields.

If you have questions, ask and I'll clarify. Good luck!

- Nick

The_Hutt

Well, about two and half hours to spare.

Pictures! (All tile L).

Some new zoom-ins of my main town (tile E). Regrettably I had no time to get much else done, so I will take my low points where they are due. New development of the railroad station and some new name-brand commercial developments is what is shown here.

The mayor has decided to designate the Bernal Craig as a designated wildlife area in memory of the separatists. The entire mountain will now be closed to development and kept in its natural state. This pictures shows a little bit of what it looks like although it is obviously far too large to fit in an entire zoom 4 shot.

Not my best effort but I had very little free time this week and the last. I am flying to Albany, New York this upcoming week so things are going to be even more hectic for me, if that's even possible...I'll try my best to stay updated however.

Enjoy!

Jmouse

Mayor Nick, you have fulfilled our demands as ordered. Good job. I will be away for a time, so I have appointed my most trusted aide, Wouanagaine, to push you around in my absence. BTW, I'd advise you to learn the correct pronunciation of his name - he looks pretty mean when he gets mad.

Good luck in the next challenge...
Ms. Mouse, District Commander of THRILL!

mrbisonm

Glad you were able to finish this challenge without too many difficulties again, now did you?. We have taken notice of your pictures and your separatist demand. Thank you.

Now we will take the time again to judge it properly which may take a few days. We will have the time enough to do so since the next challenge will have  two weeks to be worked on.
You still have no right at all to touch the separatists side of the region, but you can build whatever your desire is in your half, of course with fully respecting the general Rules.
Thank you and Good luck. Lynn already started judging some days ago.

Lynn and Fred

mrbisonm

Judgements for challenge 4.

We have been away from judgements for the summer, first because of some illness of Lynn's mother and then missing some free time, after we took an almost two month vacation, but now we're back judging. Most of these judgements were done since quite a while, but only on paper.
This challenge was a bit harder to judge than others, because orders were given by an adversary, so we will judge it so, putting ourselves in the shoes of the adversary. I must say that we also were very generous with points at this time, something that we will change a little bit for the next coming challenges. Don't worry, we won't start giving bad points now..... ;) Please go and judge my challenge 4 now. Thank you.

1.  Your demands were a little much but excellent and we have given you 5 points for this.

2. The realizations of your adversary's demands weren't easy, but you have done an excellent job and therefore earned a solid 5 points plus a Bonus point for the entertaining negociations and the excellent job you have done by fulfilling correctly the deamdns that were given.

3.  You must have missed the statue demand, sorry, 0 points have been given for this.

A total of 10 points plus 1 Bonus point have been added to your total. Well done with fine details and effort.

Fred and Lynn