• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsune

happy birthday !

And oh ... route 28 connects to highway 11 by the looks of it. Thats pretty significant because highway 11 is aka Yonge street in southern ontario - once the longest road in the world at 1800km :) before the government chopped it up :(
~ NAM Team Member

metarvo

(doorbell rings)

Look at that!  The pizzas I ordered for everyone are here.

I might have to go for some of the Mexican food Joan brought, though.  It certainly does look good.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

dedgren

Joan (Jmouse) became a great friend here at SC4D.

Like Dustin, she quickly became an indispensable part of keeping 3RR running smoothly, and has in particular admirably accomplished the mammoth task of keeping our table of contents up to date and maintaining a complete list of all the Regulars' posts.  She has become equally indispensable as a site administrator.  Just like Dustin and Matt, somehow she found time to author a well-received MD: Wildcat Junction [linkie] and there's a rumor that another might be out in the wings.  Joan heads up the Nobody Under Thirty Squad (NUTS) and has been very active on that front as well as the lead author of that team's Prop and Texture Photo Catalog [linkie].

We've honored Joan several times at 3RR.  Here's one. 

QuoteThe Pineshore-Cold Lake Short Line that the Grey Mouse once ran on has now been partially converted as a joint effort of the Friends of the Short Line and the Rails to Trails Conservancy to the

J. M. Sherrouse Memorial Rail-Trail.

You might recall that, in early 2007, we were reading the following [linkie].

QuoteThe Pineshore-Cold Lake Short Line.  By the 1870s, the Cold Lake fishery had reached production levels that outpaced the ability to barge the catch south on the Cold and Grand Rivers to Pineshore during the ice-free months.  Investors, recognizing the opportunity, formed a company to construct an 11 mile/18 kilometer line from Pineshore to the south shore of Cold Lake.  By 1874, the Pineshore-Cold Lake Short Line ("Short Line") was complete and immediately attracted, in addition to freighting the fish, a substantial passenger ridership that had formerly used the riverboat system to travel south.  This had the effect of driving both the riverboat and barge companies out of business, and the Short Line had the entire passenger and freight market for about the next 50 years.  The community of Thunder Bay grew up and thrived during this period around the northern terminus of the Short Line, taking its name from the bay of the lake at the end of the line.

By the 1920s, though, the region's road network had developed to the point where it was more economical to truck the catch directly from Thunder Bay to the processing facilities and markets in Pineshore, and the Short Line's fortunes entered a steep decline.  The widespread adoption of the automobile for personal travel caused ridership on the line to virtually cease, and by 1932 the carrying of passengers was discontinued as the business fell into receivership.  The Short Line was abandoned altogether in 1954, and most of the track was taken up and sold for scrap, athough some sections still remain to reward the railfan ready to brave a bit of a hike and the area's infamous mosquitoes and black flies.

The right-of-way of the Short Line north of the DW&W Cold River bridge remains largely intact and is in the hands of the Rail Transport Division.  There has been growing discussion about turning the line into the region's first rail-trail, and bills to provide funding for this development have garnered an increasing number of votes in the 3RR assembly in each of the past several years.  Many landowners adjacent to the right-of-way, however, oppose the conversion, citing concerns over littering and vandalism, leaving prospects for a rail-trail, at least for the next few years, uncertain.

Well, as those of you who follow the Herald-Gazette know, through the tireless advocacy of J. M. Sherrouse, the paper's current owner and editor, along with a grant of 25,000 simoleans received from the Rails to Trails Conservancy [linkie], that situation was turned around within two years.  Conversion of 5.1 miles/8 kilometers of the old roadbed

west of R-15 into a gravel-surfaced public use trail was accomplished over the summer of 2009, to include construction of a two-tenths mile/one-third kilometer access corridor

at the southern terminus of the trail just north of Prairie Dog Creek.  Parking areas have been constructed off R-15 at each end.  The right-of-way between R-15 (Purley's Station) and the end of the line in Thunder Bay remains uncoverted

but it is hoped that this remaining stretch will be added over the next few years.

Here's a map.

The trail is well marked at each end.

Its decomposed granite surface is a uniform 7-8 feet/2.3 meters wide and comfortably allows groups of hikers and bicyclists to use the path at the same time.

No motorized traffic is allowed.

There is less than 100 feet/30 meters of elevation gain over the course of the trail (south to north) and there are no grades in excess of one percent.  There are several rock cuts near the Purley's Station trailhead.

There are several outstanding views of the Cold River, and benches have been placed at several for those who just want to sit and let the current flow by.

The trail is intended for all-weather use, and while bicycling is paramount in the summer and fall.

Cross-country skiing is almost as big in the winter months.

There's also, of course, plenty of railroadiana to look at along the way.

The J. M. Sherrouse Memorial Rail-Trail is one of the region's jewels, just like our friend Joan.

Thank you again for all that you do here.

[tabular type=4]                                                
[row] [head colspan=5]
3RR Quotable Moment
[/head][/row]

[row] [data]
@FrankU: "Looks good David, but how on this planet do you think to implement all your projects?"
[/data][/row]      
[/tabular]

We've honored a lot of other folks here over the years.  I don't mean to slight anyone by only choosing three.  I think, though, That Dustin, Matt and Joan are representative of the sort of folks who hang around 3RR, and who I am really glad to consider friends.

Here's a "work in progress" list of major honors posts over the years with links.

[tabular type=4]                              
[row] [head colspan=2]
3RR Honors Posts
[/head][/row]                              
[row] [head]
Post Title
[/head] [head]
3RR Regular Honored
[/head] [/row]
[row]   [data]   [/data]    [data]   
Livin in Sim
[/data]    [/row]   
Heinz
[/data]    [/row]   
thundercrack83
[/data]    [/row]   
Jmouse
[/data]    [/row]   
tkirch
[/data]    [/row]   
bat
[/data]    [/row]   
emilin
[/data]    [/row]   
Pat
[/data]    [/row]   
threestooges
[/data]    [/row]   
jestarr
[/data]    [/row]   
threestooges
[/data]    [/row]   
Pat
[/data]    [/row]   
superhands
[/data]    [/row]   
superhands
[/data]    [/row]   
kalanc69 and meinhosen
[/data]    [/row]   
Kitsune
[/data]    [/row]   
rooker1
[/data]    [/row]   
jayo
[/data]    [/row]   
bat   
[/data]    [/row]   
[/tabular]

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

whatevermind

Happy birthday indeed!!

Imagine my surprise logging in tonight to find that SIX pages of posts went up since I posted last night.  That's quite a turnout.  Interesting to see a glimpse of the history of all this, and the growth in the game itself along the way, reflected, and often started, here.  Enjoy the rest of the party, and keep up the great work!

dedgren

Well, we're down to the last hour of the party.  A lot of folks have already gone- the crowd we had here all day was pretty amazing considering the number of time zones involved.

I made it through about half of the stuff I wanted to.  The nice thing about that is that we have a little stockpile of things to do over the next week or so.

[tabular type=4]                                                
[row] [head colspan=5]
3RR Quotable Moment
[/head][/row]

[row] [data]
@dragonshardz: "David, you have about 20 honors posts to do."
[/data][/row]      
[/tabular]

Heh!  More like 200.  One thing I wish I had done today, though, while more Regulars were here was to make the big announcement I had planned.  I also wanted to talk a bit about upsidasium and other 3RR weirdness over the years.  Let's do a shortened version of the announcement, and I'll flesh it out on Wednesday (I have an all day deposition in a Federal District Court case tomorrow).

Works perfectly now.  OK, ready?

Collaboration started tonight with PMs to the first two recipients of quads.

I'm going to go have a local beer

and get ready to start cleaning up.  I'll post a short recap of the day at 10:00 p.m. AST, half an hour from now.

[tabular type=4]                                                
[row] [head colspan=5]
3RR Quotable Moment
[/head][/row]

[row] [data]
@dedgren (on 3RR's dirty secret): "I make this all up as I go along."
[/data][/row]      
[/tabular]

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Pat

Speaking of some honors here David I just have to dig this one up and out lol.... I love it as its kinda now fitting as well im now in Minnesota and seeing as a lot of action happens in Minnesota... Did you know that there is a lot of fictional towns in this state and characters? With that I love this one update you had done and now I wish I could remember all the great details of this one book I had read about Minnesota weird side lol

Quote from: dedgren on September 24, 2007, 10:59:29 PM
Oh, man!  It's late again.

I'm going to try to get up at 4:30 or so tomorrow morning and try to get some stuff up.

Here's a bit to tide you over.  They're working on freeways in the North Country.

This is kind of fun.  I'm tempted to title it "Redesigning Minnesota" or something else frou-frou.

Later.

David

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

kalanc69

And so the time for "Last Call" rings out throughout the land! Thanks for a memorable night all! The food was great, the conversation was interesting and the camaraderie was beyond comparison! I look forward to hearing from each and every one of you over the next year, and look forward to celebrating 10 years of 3RR with each and every one of you!! Take care, be safe and call a cab if you've had a little too much to drink!

Kalanc69

dedgren

The lights are being turned off and the last guests are out the door.  Cabs of course were called for those who had imbibed adult beverages without a designated driver in tow- 3RR Regulars* are a pretty responsible bunch.  I want to especially thank everyone who brought food and drink- there were some amazing items here.  Aah, more things to add to my culinary/bibitory bucket list.  So many good things, so little time.

Speaking of good things, I want to tell you all how much the folks who showed up here today in this six year old discussion about a nine year old PC game means to me personally.  This was a lot of fun, but a lot of work, too, and to see around 80 of you show up on a single day to share in 3RR stuff was really gratifying.  We had 108 109 110 (counting Marisa's) posts including mine during the day, about 1,000 views during the 12 hours of the party and picked up seven (according to Joan, I think one more might have snuck in) newly minted 3RR Regulars.  Don't forget, by the way, that I'll be going back and responding in comments over the next little bit.

Again, thank you for sharing a part of today with us here.  You folks are, as always, the best.

[tabular type=4]                                                
[row] [head colspan=5]
One Last 3RR Quotable Moment
[/head][/row]

[row] [data]
@dedgren: "You guys play so far out of my league I don't even know where the ballpark is."
[/data][/row]      
[/tabular]

David

* 3RR Regulars are extraordinarily handsome or beautiful, athletic, intelligent, and well-spoken folks who just happen to have posted here in 3RR or over at 3RR-ST at least once.

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

girlfromverona

Ack - I knew I'd be late! It's 7.15pm here in NZ and I've had a rather busy day so couldn't check in earlier. Hope you all had fun, eating, drinking and being merry! :)

EDITYou have posted on 3RR's birthday, Marisa.  There's still cake left, and some of Silur's wonderful vodka.  You were here in our hearts. -de

EDIT: Thanks, David. The cake and vodka were delicious. If only they'd been real. :D

threestooges

Quote from: dedgren on March 12, 2012, 06:54:22 PM
He too became a valued staff member here at SC4D (jeronij must have never heard the old Chinese proverb about your life being cursed when it is filled with lawyers)
Still haven't quite figured out how I passed *that* background check, heh heh.

Really puts things in perspective to think that I hadn't even started law school at the time, and now I've been in the profession for over a year (closing in on two). You've done a fine job recognizing a number of people here, in the course of 3RR and tonight as well. Though I think it still stands that one important part of this equation, one particular player has been left out. You. Then again, you're not one to toot your own horn, so allow me to play a few notes:

-3RR
-SC4D Admin (retired, to the extent one can from such things)
-puzzle pieces and textures galore
-the catalyst or inspiration for myriad projects
-The reason at least one BATter out there decided to hone his skill, and likely caused others to take steps to improve their skills as well.

You've always kept a quiet seat around here, and these things may go without saying, but if there was an occasion to say them, I think a celebration like this would be one.

It's been a fun ride to come along for these last six years, and I'm looking forward to what comes next. This has been the longest 'dead-end' I think I've seen, and certainly one of the best.

Thanks for the fun tonight, my friend.
-Matt

jdenm8

Argh! Missed it. Was looking on a device before that freaks out when looking at the Post form (My 3DS, the numerous ads and images fill up the RAM before the page finishes loading and it writes the whole page off as corrupt and starts again). Certainly was a lively day and I wish Dedgren another good year (at least) of 3RR!

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

JoeST

Awwww heck, and here I was hoping to catch the slow-dance *shucks*

An amazing day, to be sure :D thank you again, David, for your unquantifiable (big words for this early in the morning XD) contributions to our game.
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

calibanX

Happy Belated David. That is one spectacular trip you have planned. You know, people have written books and made movies of lesser adventures. Safe travels. It seems you're passing through Minneapolis on the return trip. I'll keep an eye out for you.

Happy sixth birthday 3RR!

Geoff
Where City and Country Flow Together

Delecto

Huuummm... a little late.  &mmm

I wish a happy birthday to 3RR!  :party:

noahclem

A big happy birthday to 3RR  :party:

I may have missed the party but I hope it's still "yesterday" over there  ;D  Most of the action, it seems, happened overnight over here but I've been keeping up or catching up and have thoroughly enjoyed it all. Thanks for all the food and drink everyone as well as the great history and planning presented at the party. It'll be one to remember  ;)

-Noah

jmdude1

%confuso  hello? anybody here? i showed up late as well.  living on the other side of the world has its downfalls after all.  it was great reading the 3 or 4 pages of birthday wishes and flashbacks.

happy birthday 3RR!! looking forward to the future.

catty

Quote from: threestooges on March 12, 2012, 11:22:18 PM
...Though I think it still stands that one important part of this equation, one particular player has been left out. You. Then again, you're not one to toot your own horn, so allow me to play a few notes:...

agree totally ... sorry I missed the party, I did pop in a couple of times during the day and it did seem to be going well, thanks for the last six years its been a interesting journey and hopefully I'll be saying the same thing in another six years

&apls
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

metarvo

On your trip to 3RR, I suppose you'll pack the camera, won't you?  No trip to the center of the SC4 universe would be complete without pictures, and I know you like to take pictures anyway.  $%Grinno$%

It sounds like the party will continue on Wednesday with the lengthy announcement.  ()stsfd()
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

mike3775

A CI sent me this pic of how dedgren measures the amount of snowfall when it snows

Rayden

Hehe, 15" 15 cans of snow $%Grinno$%