• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ploppable river help needed.

Started by City Builder, March 21, 2008, 04:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

City Builder

Hi,
First off thanks for reading my request for help.

I have an assortment of ploppable water at my disposal but all of them yield the same result.

When I use the ploppable water it looks like the water is slices of water and they overlay ontop of each other (using only one kind of ploppable water at a time here) and then it misses some spots in other areas that can't get water layed down in.

Also I notice in some peoples posts that show their plopped rivers and lakes that there is some rocks, or weeds under the ploppable water but I can't seem to find any ploppable water with these effects in them already and when I try to plop rocks and weeds and what not it either shows up ontop of the plopped water or not at all.

But the biggest dillema is the one outlined above where I can't get a smooth plain of water for a river and it looks like the plopped water is multiple levels and laying ontop of each other.  I'll post a screenshot as soon as I can.

Thanks for any assistance towards getting me on the right track to building my own streams and lakes with ploppable water and other items.
When your tired of games of destruction, come to CityBuilderGames.com to discuss games of Construction!
Oh!  Thanks for the negative rep, I love you too!

CabraBuitre

Though I haven't used ploppable water persay, I have extensively used canal and pond kits by creators like PEG and Simgoober.  To avoid the slices, as you say, if you completely flatten the ground you're going to plop on, then you can prevent those "slices."  There are then lots that have been created that can allow changes in elevation (like waterfall lots, etc)... search for Sorchin on the STEX to find one or two.

Now, to actually smooth out the land, different people do different things.  Some use the God mode tools.  I do that for large areas I want to smooth out, but for smaller areas, I just plop roads down in the areas I'm going to put my water.  That forces the land to be smooth and allows me to plop water without any slices.

Rivers are definitely harder than lakes for one main reason... lakes are all on one flat plain, while rivers traverse areas and travel downstream (key word being "down").  Thus, they will lose elevation as they travel downstream, due to wonderful gravity.

This is hard (though by no means impossible) to simulate in SC4.  The best I can do is advise how I've done it! 

If you want, my old CJ shows some of the ways that I've plopped water.  Almost everything is on flat ground, but due to the surroundings, it has the appearance of moving downstream, I think.

Check out Abelfarei!

RebaLynnTS

I am in the planning stages of a slope tolerant river system (different from LAR), but don't have any pics to show yet. The fact that all previous lotted water ways have to be on nearly level ground, has always been a thorn in my side. I already know it will be a challenge, but I thrive on those :)
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Pat

Hey CB go here [linkie] that is a link to my MD with anther link to gizmo's site to get the flora mod...  To better help you out in this problem I do hope to see a pic soon, as a pic is worth a 1000 words!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie