• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RTMT and FLUPS

Started by z, July 22, 2010, 10:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z

Did you ever see a bus stop sitting on an overpass in this game?

Here's the traffic flow.  The route query was taken from the underpass just to the right of the bus station.

The reason for the bus routes on the overpass is that a number of Sims park in the underground garage (whose entrance is obscured by the overpass), climb the stairs to the overpass, and catch a bus there.

travismking

Don't do this to us man, just release it!! looks great, Cant wait to be able to use this in my cities :)

z

As soon as testing is finished satisfactorily and the documentation is written, you will have it. :)

Speaking of testing, here are a couple of other screenshots taken during that process:

Many of these stations can handle all of the SC4 travel types simultaneously, with the exception of monorail.

z

We're now well into our beta testing, and getting good results.  Here's a sample:

That's a combination bus and subway station underneath all the arrows.  Between street level and subway level there's the street FLUP, which has access to a special underground parking garage.  You can tell that some Sims are using the underground garage (apparently to take the bus) by the presence of the crossed orange arrows in the middle.  This is actually a little shuttle train that goes around the garage, collecting Sims and taking them to the mass transit parts of the station.  The yellow line at the bottom is traffic from a subway line that terminates at the station; all the Sims on the subway continue on by bus.  Traffic volume on the outer rail lines does not change at the station, nor does the traffic by surface car.  The arrows around the station itself are a bit messy because transit switch points in SC4 are normally two dimensional, and it is not possible to create such a complex transit switch point under those constraints.  Instead, the transit switch point was constructed in multidimensional phase space using a custom Riemann geometry, which looks a little strange when projected onto two dimensions.  (For example, see the little yellow arrow that curves pack on itself?  And the pedestrian paths that seem to go nowhere?)  The Sims get a little confused by this too, but only momentarily, and they always take the right path out of the station.

daeley

Quote from: z on August 17, 2010, 12:09:05 AM
  Instead, the transit switch point was constructed in multidimensional phase space using a custom Riemann geometry, which looks a little strange when projected onto two dimensions.  (For example, see the little yellow arrow that curves pack on itself?  And the pedestrian paths that seem to go nowhere?)  The Sims get a little confused by this too, but only momentarily, and they always take the right path out of the station.

Not to mention that Sim-space-time is non-relativistic as they can travel finite distances in zero time and are unaffected by the laws of uncertainty. Projecting all of this onto a 2-dimensional visual planar (i.e. your pc monitor) is guaranteed to give some odd visual effects.  :D :D
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

z

For those who would like RTMT stations for their NOB Sunken GLR, they're coming as part of the RTMT FLUP stations, which is the release under development:

There are stairs off to the side of the station, so that the Sims don't fall onto the tracks.  You can see trains on the GLR, and UDI works as well.

You can eliminate the FLUP spacer pieces around the station if you're willing to use the Sunken GLR subway connection.  But then you won't see the trains, and UDI won't work.

Thanks to catty for her extensive testing of this feature.

RickD

My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

deadwoods

You could possibly add the standard Maxis subway stairs/entrance prop for the stairs leading down.
David, aka deadwoods

catty

Quote from: deadwoods on May 18, 2011, 01:33:08 AM
You could possibly add the standard Maxis subway stairs/entrance prop for the stairs leading down.

We will be releasing some new RTMT stations that have the subway stairs off to the side of the bus stop ... would you be happy with them there?

MAY110020 by SC4D_CATTY, on Flickr

:)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

deadwoods

Yes, that's the general idea.
David, aka deadwoods

catty

Quote from: z on May 01, 2011, 10:45:03 AM
...You can eliminate the FLUP spacer pieces around the station if you're willing to use the Sunken GLR subway connection.  But then you won't see the trains, and UDI won't work..

Still testing we haven't given up on trains and UDI quite yet

:)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.