• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

iLives Reader 1.x Official support thread

Started by ilive, March 16, 2010, 08:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobbi

Bonjour, ilive,
Today I show you how to THORW an unhandled exception in UI Editor "$Deal"$ :D

First, resize an element.

Second, when the width or height value is 0, release.

Now, Reader throw an unhandled exception.

After I click "Close the program", Reader throw an unknown unhandled exception AGAIN ()what()

Maybe the following text isn't right. ::)
I guess the first exception was threw at OnSizeChanging() event.
Emmm, if the Rectangle->Width or Rectangle->Height is 0, when you resizing an element, the program will draw an invalid image, so it'll crash. &mmm

The second exception was maybe threw at OnClose() event or destructor statement. &Thk/(

Renne :thumbsup:

2010.8.4 - I get on SC4D with PSP. So cool.:D
2010.8.14 - I can get on the Internet at home.:)

ilive

@Bobbi ; thanks for your explanation... I'm going to try to find the bug :)

Sorengaard

Hi, I am having a problem with Reader 1.3a.  When I want to copy and paste I can only copy 3 or less properties at a time or the tool crashes. 4 or more and I am done.  I can then do this for 3 or 4 times (just copying 3 properties or less at a time) and the tool crashes again.  After I do this 3 or 4 times the tool crashes and won't reload until I reboot my computer.  I have Windows XP.  Is there a patch that I might have missed or some other way I can handle this problem?  Thanks, Steve

ilive

version 1.4 has been uploaded
From this version, the Reader uses a setup file (thanks to swamp_ig). Sources are available through SVN on sourceforge.net.

Welcome to swamp_ig as a new developer on the Reader  :thumbsup:

• Bug fixed

• Crash if 'reload last file' is checked
    • Crash if 'disable preview' is checked
    • Col:0,Col:1... fields coming from new_properties.xml file was not properly initialized. Incorrect labels may appear in Exemplar preview pane
    • Crash when resizing UI elements
    • Fixed filter by type in exemplar browser

• Features added or improved

• Add TGI fields filter in filter box
    • Add Autosize columns option (if checked, columns in the entry list are autosized ; unchecked the option to speed up the list)
    • 3DS preview pane / Verts tab :

• add remapping function for u,v ( u,v MODULO 1)
      • add flip x/y , x/z, y/z functions
    • Improved defaulting of options
    • Improved interaction with the file system
    • Add installer

Sorengaard

Sure.  I left click once on the top property in a list of properties to be copied, which highlights it.  Then I hold the shift key in and using the arrows scroll up or down and highlight the rest of the properties that I want to copy.  After the list is all highlighted I right click on the list and the menu pops up.  I scroll down to copy files and left click on it. The properties are now copied.  Now I open the file that I want to copy the properties to.  There I highlight the same kind of properties as before and delete them.  Now I can paste the properties to the new file.  I right click in the empty space in the right window and the pop up menu appears.  Then I left click on the paste key and the properties copy to the new file.  I left click on the save Icon and I am done.  That is of course if the tool hasn't crashed by then.

If I highlight more than 3 properties the tool will crash as soon as I left click on the copy files tab in the pop up menu.  I hope I wrote this so it makes sense to you.  If not let me know and I will try another go around with it.  Thanks for your response.  Steve

meister1235

hi,
i want to report an bug.
if i open a dat file and don't select an entry and click "Recorded exemplars" the reader shut down.

i think you can solve it with enable this button after the first entry is selected

meister

Lowkee33

Good Evening,

I am having similar trouble as RebaLynnTS (page 4).  I noticed I had this problem on ver 1.3, but as I started to blame myself less I downloaded 1.4 and the problem persists.  I am running xp

I have followed the advise/questions you gave to RebaLynnTS.  My registry seems to be okay, however, I set the Debug-Dword to 1 (0x00000001) and ran Reader.  Where does the log go?  I dont know much about this stuff, but I did some looking and the registry makes it appear that the log would go to The Ilives folder.

I also noticed that the default shortcut does not have "find target" abilities.

ilive

thanks for reporting bugs...

I'm in holiday so I haven't time to look for bugs but once being back I will take a look

MutantPlatypus

I have another bug for you.  You should probably extend your vacation  :D

The script engine doesn't seem to like when you write to its console too much (it makes the whole Reader explode), so I'm trying to write strings to an output exemplar that I will export after the script runs.  Here's what I've got:

function reader.main (this)

pos = reader:entries_GetHeadPosition()
    stop = 0
    while stop~=1 do

outentry,pos = reader:entries_GetNext(pos)
        flag = reader:entry_GetFlag(outentry)

if (flag == 7) then

outexemplar = reader:ex_Decode(outentry)
            proppos = reader:exprop_GetHeadPosition(outexemplar)

while proppos~=0 do

outprop,proppos = reader:exprop_GetNext(outexemplar,proppos)
                desc,descname = reader:exprop_GetDesc(outprop)

if (desc == 0x00000000) then
                    stop = 1
                    break
                end
            end

if (stop == 0) then
                reader:ex_Release(outexemplar)
            end
        end
    end

pos = reader:entries_GetHeadPosition()

outval = ""
    outexemplar = reader:ex_Decode(outentry)

while pos~=0 do

entry,pos = reader:entries_GetNext(pos)
        flag = reader:entry_GetFlag(entry)

if (flag == 7) then

exemplar = reader:ex_Decode(entry)

proppos = reader:exprop_GetHeadPosition(exemplar)

while proppos~=0 do

property,proppos = reader:exprop_GetNext(exemplar,proppos)
                desc,descname = reader:exprop_GetDesc(property)

if (desc == 0x00000020) then

val = reader:exprop_GetValueStr(property)
                    outprop = reader:exprop_Add(outexemplar)
                    reader:exprop_SetDesc(outprop, 0x00000000)
                    reader:exprop_SetRep(outprop, 0)
                    reader:exprop_SetType(outprop, 0xC00)

reader:exprop_SetValue(outprop, val)

elseif (desc == 0x083DC487) then

val = reader:exprop_GetValueStr(property)
                    outprop = reader:exprop_Add(outexemplar)
                    reader:exprop_SetDesc(outprop, 0x00000000)
                    reader:exprop_SetRep(outprop, 0)
                    reader:exprop_SetType(outprop, 0xC00)

--------------------------This line causes the Reader to crash------------------------------------------
                    reader:exprop_SetValue(outprop, val)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

end
            end
        end
    end

reader:ex_Encode(outentry,outexemplar)

reader:refresh()

end

The Lua code between the dashes causes the reader to crash when the script is run.  I suspect it may be because the string is too long- over 700 characters.  In fact, the reader crashes whenever I try to write the string to the console.

NOTE:  If the above post is just one sentence about some inconsistency, bug, or broken link, don't be offended.  I'm posting the info because I assumed it was some minor oversight and want to help you fix it, or I want the information to be available to others who are doing a search for the same problem.  Once the issue is resolved, moderators are encouraged to delete my post.

Venom+Eggs+Lactation=Platypus

Chrisim

Ilive, thanks a lot for your updates. Your Reader is an excellent software tool. :thumbsup:
I am using version 0.9.3 almost daily and started test-using version 1.4 two weeks ago. Larger files load much faster than before.
I also appreciate the improvements to the 3DS window. The old version had several bugs, although you could find ways around it. This version is improved (e.g., "remove texture" does work now), but still has a problem. As an example, load the S3D file 0x0c820700 from SimCity1.dat.

The number of groups displayed on the left (0-12) differs from right-mouse-click / groups (0-13). Unselecting group 13 does not work in this case.
The Anim-Tab shows 14 groups. The Mats-Tab also shows 14 textures and there is a 1-1 relation between Anim-groups and Mats-textures in this case, but the UV map shows 13 textures only.

Two useful improvements for the 3DS window would be:
For the Indx-Tab on right-mouse-click: to add the option "Remove (n) Triangles", in the same way as it is implemented for adding.
For the Vert-Tab on right-mouse-click: to add the option "Remove (n) Points", in the same way as it is implemented for adding.
When changing models, sometimes we have to remove many triangles and points ...

In the Mats-Tab, after "Add texture", the defaults for flags and the other parameters are not meaningful for SC4. The 3DS window disregards these parameters and the model will look fine, but SC4 will not display the texture properly with the present default parameters. I would suggest the following parameters as default:

senotrius

i only got a file gl.rar from the link..where is the exe file???or can someone upload the1.4 file on lex or stex please..?

vester

If you click on the right link in the post at top of the pages, you will get to download the file: ILives Reader.msi
It works for me.

Shadow Assassin

Quite a nasty little crash for me on the latest version of the Reader.

I tried to copy some S3Ds from a DAT to another DAT, Reader suddenly crashed, and when I attempted to restart it, it simply crashed again. On a related note, can you get rid of the dock/undock pop-up that comes up every time one right-clicks on a exemplar item?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

jdenm8

I can confirm that one SA, however it happens whenever I'm copying any kind of file in any kind of quantity.

Also, the effect seems to build up over time. Copying one file after another doesn't work around the problem.

I also find that dock/undock thing really annoying. Can we have a dropdown box that that can be hidden under?

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

jondor

One bug I'd like to see fixed is Reader's treatment of DXT1 compressed FSH files.  There are quite a lot of FSH files in the Maxis dats that are DXT1 compressed and which are supposed to contain alpha, but which Reader is unable to correctly process when viewing the FSH files.

DXT1 does support 1-bit alpha masks per the specification: http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/EXT/texture_compression_s3tc.txt (Scroll down roughly 3/5 of the way).  It does appear that Reader correctly decodes these files otherwise, but without any marker specifying between the alpha and non-alpha versions of DXT1 that SimCity 4 defaults to the alpha version.  I would like to see this fixed so that transparent PNGs can be correctly exported directly from the Reader.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

jdenm8

I think I figured out what was causing the crashes.

It's related to the amount of data on the clipboard. I've had large bodies of text in the clipboard and Reader crashes on boot, and copying a lot of entries can crash it too.

A short-term solution is to copy something simple when nearing the limit. I usually copy a full stop ( . ) when nearing the limit. It's really cut down my number of crashes.

Also, the built-in FSH mirroring tools have the wrong icons (they're the wrong way around, the Vertical flip button has the Horizontal flip icon) and they crash when operating on small FSHes. Zoom 1 and 2 FSHes are small enough to trigger this bug. It also occurs no matter how long I've been using Reader.

Heides

Having an issue with Reader.

Setup:
Reader ver1.4 (uninstalled and redownloaded today from link at top of this thread)
Plugins: Paeng Security Fence Set and Security Fence Set Addon1

I am just learning to mod and chose Paeng's security fence sets as inspiration to learn about textures, props, exemplars, transit enabling, MMLs, etc.  I made several lots using different fence props and textures than Paeng's, using his lots as templates in LE.  Saved them, modified in SC4Tool, and so on.  I needed to add properties which weren't present and SC4Tool doesn't allow that, so I opened in reader.  I found a problem in my lots, and it's because they existed in Paeng's lots.  Looks like I need to scrap all the lots I made and start over.  But I thought I should document the issue here.

Problem description:
Duplicate and triplicate entries in building exemplar.   They do not show up in SC4Tool (only the first occurance does).  Both the first entry and its duplicates have the same Name, Name Value, Data Type, and Rep, but different Value.  There are other properties that do not have duplicates but only show in Reader and not SC4Tool.

These 'ghost' properties are all together at the end of the list, after the real properties.
Here is a screenshot of the affected properties.

I can double-click and edit the real properties.  But the ghost properties only open the edit window and all the buttons, drop-downs, input fields, etc are grayed out (except "Display as: Default, Hex, Int, Float).  I can click the "?" button which opens the properties selection with their descriptions, and I can choose one and click "Select it !".  If I do so, the Name in the property edit window will change to that, but is still grayed out.  If I click Apply, then window closes but nothing at all changes in the building exemplar.

I can right-click and Delete Property on the real ones.  But if I try to do this on one of the ghost properties, after I click YES to the "Do you want to delete this property" msgbox, the Reader application goes to 100% CPU use and hangs unresponsive until killed in Win task manager.

There is also another thing I noticed, but I don't think it's related in any way to the first issue (which seems to be the way Paeng edited/saved his files and how Reader reads them).  This second issue exists with all exemplars I open.  When I double-click a property to edit, the edit window appears.  When I click on the drop-down list for Name, all the different options for properties are listed... twice, all the way down the list.  It doesn't matter which I click on, the first or the second, it always sets the Value correctly for that property.  And if I select either one, when I reopen the drop-down the first one will always be selected before I click on the other.  This causes no problems that I can tell, other than making scrolling through the list twice as long.  It looks like this:
Target: You
Method: Finger
Praxis: Point
Calibration: Aim
pew pew

jdenm8

Those properties are inherited from what's called the Parent Cohort. It fills up all the possible empty fields that you haven't filled yourself. If you have entered something in that file, then what you entered will override the Parent Cohort entry.
They aren't actually contained in the building exemplar to my knowledge.

Lowkee33

The double property list is because you set rearder to have two xml files. 

I would use the LEX version unless I was beta testing 1.4.

Heides

Quote from: jdenm8 on February 11, 2011, 04:26:34 PM
Those properties are inherited from what's called the Parent Cohort.
I understand. Reader is just looking them up in the parent cohort and displaying them.  When I try to delete them, I'm trying to delete a reflection of the PC that's not really in this file.  But I find it strange these are the only lots I've found with these so far.  And I still think if Reader is going to display these as if they were part of the building exemplar for whatever mysterious reason it should label them and not cause a crash.  But I know it's there now and will work around it.

Quote from: Lowkee33 on February 11, 2011, 04:54:06 PM
The double property list is because you set rearder to have two xml files.
That's what I thought.  But I never set anything in Reader myself (knowingly) except the first time I installed it.  It was actually the original reader which I promptly replaced with the Chris Wood version.  Since I noticed these issues, I've uninstalled reader, deleted its directory, reDLed, and installed it in a different directory twice now.  I've had it in the default directory too, but I don't remember checking for this problem then.

I have Reader in ProgramFiles\SC4Utilities\ now. Reader, SC4Tool, SC4PIM, Mapper, etc are all in there, each in its own separate folder.  I never changed any settings though.  This is in fact the first time I've opened Reader Options.  It's set up like this:

&Thk/(   hmmm\MyDocuments\ILives\ doesn't exist on my HD.  But also, since it doesn't specify a path for the XML it must use a program path.  The default install path for Reader is Programs\ILives\ILives Reader\.  What if instead of searching for "%workingDir%\new_properties.xml" it's actually searching "..\*\new_properties.xml".  That would bring it up one level to my SC4Utilities folder, then search from there. In an NFTS file system a file parse loop should get results in alphabetical order, but that's not necessarily the case depending on the language and code.  It might be finding the new_properties.xml in \SC4PIM\ as well as \ILives Reader\.  But then it would be a recursive search (subfolders) and wouldn't stop at the first match, and would find the xml in \SC4Tools\system\ as well and give a tripled list.  Edit: This is not the issue.  I removed the PIM and Tool xml files and Reader still doubles up.

But it's probably all very much simpler than that.  If you see a problem with my options, please enlighten me!   &idea
It's not a big deal though.  I just like puzzles.
Target: You
Method: Finger
Praxis: Point
Calibration: Aim
pew pew