• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

iLives Reader 1.x Official support thread

Started by ilive, March 16, 2010, 08:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

memo

In my understanding, you are primarily interested in the data of Exemplar files. This can be done easily using the Exemplar Analyser tool of the Reader. Simply filter for the Exemplars you are interested in and then click "Exemplar > Save All Data To File". This will save the data as a tab-separated text file. Excel should be able to import that easily.

By the way, if I recall correctly, SC4 Tool is able to generate a nice HTML database from your plugins.

If none of this is sufficient, you'd need to be a bit more specific.

Tropod

v1.5.2 update summary & notes;
   - crash on main list file change, due to WAV/XA files.
   - uint16 data type (in Exemplars) now parsed; there's only 1 file in SC#.dats that contains this. I haven't fully tested it for saving however it should now least display it & the properties that follow.
   - Type 0x2026960B files identified properly ie LEV/XA etc; files should also get parsed properly as a result.
   - TGI filter added to context menu on main list.
   - LotData display/crash fix.
   - Properties folder crash on exit fix.
   - UI crash on delete fix.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngzkvekpr0tebht/Ilives%20Reader_v152_Release.zip?dl=0
Above link contains "ILives Reader.msi" installer and "setup.exe" for MS2010 runtime libraries.

source code: those of you familiar with the source code note the following only includes the trunk folder contents;
Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hxgy8110ps64bwz/Ilives_Reader_source_vs2010_v152.zip?dl=0

It's not sourceforge as I've had some issues mucking around trying to get that to work  ()testing().

On side note this will probably be last update for quite some time (ie no plans for another any time soon). I think ilive may of fixed some of the other issues that were mentioned earlier in the thread, as I haven't been able to replicate many of them.

keepmada

The "decompression file corruption" issue is still present in version 1.52. I can reproduced it in every version since 0.93, as Jondor stated. Some files are not affected, but I've yet to identify a common link. In most cases you need only save or "reindex lotconfig" for erroneous values to appear in several properties of the building exemplar. It has dodged every troubleshooting trick I've acquired from a decade in software support, and persists across all modern windows platforms and settings available therein. The bug clearly lies deep in the source code which is beyond by immediate technical reach or willingness to pursue. I am keenly aware of the tremendous personal sacrifice needed to produce such a complex and game changing ??? tool. However, unless this anomaly is squashed, the decade old Beta version remains its most viable release.

keepmada

Update:

The "decompression file corruption" issue mentioned above may have more to do with the properties file than the Reader itself. I replaced new_properties.xml with tropod_properties.xml (from version 0.93) in the "Filter File" and "XML Properties File" fields on the Options screen in Reader 1.52 and to my astonishment, I could no longer reproduce the problem! However, the expanded information contained in new_properties.xml contributes much of the value in upgrading so I don't consider this a total solution. Aside from significant formatting differences, there are no immediately discernible errors in either file. Accordingly, it seems most likely the problem stems from how the Reader interprets them. If so, one could hypothetically reconstruct the latter using the format of the former &mmm and effectively eliminate the error entirely. I'm going to sleep on it...

keepmada

Update:

I realize this probably isn't the proper place to continue this dialogue, so I'll wrap it up with this post.  Since substituting tropod_properties.xml for new_properties.xml, I have yet to identify any consequences.  However, the Reader asks for the original installation media if I delete new_properties.xml altogether. Additionally, data from this file still appears in combo boxes among other places even after removing it from the options screen. Since I actually use PIMX to populate the fields, I'm confident the exemplar data is solid. I really want to believe I've found a valid workaround, but I can't get past the notion of referencing a deprecated properties file. &Thk/( Nevertheless, I will continue down this path until I see or hear otherwise.

Tropod

Quote from: keepmada on December 13, 2014, 08:11:36 PM
The "decompression file corruption" issue is still present in version 1.52......

I'm sure many users here would appreciate your comments/findings. I've read Jondor comments & other posts (awhile ago admittedly) but don't really understand the problem entirely to be honest. So if you/someone could clarify the following (along with detailed examples ;D) it would help immensely.....

-are decompressed files only affected or is it a case of saving a decompressed file causing the problem (ie & stemming to non-decompressed files).
-is only (certain types of) Exemplar/Cohort files affected or any type of file.
-Does editing/saving a *.dat without Exemplars/cohorts still present the problem.
-Regarding *_properties.xml file; does the issue still exist if you don't use any *_properties.xml file.
-lastly; formatting differences between *_properties.xml; could you please elaborate.

This info will help me try & track this sucker down  ()flamdev().

jdenm8

I can answer some of that.

Quote from: Tropod on December 14, 2014, 01:52:18 PM
-is only (certain types of) Exemplar/Cohort files affected or any type of file.

Any type of file can be corrupted. Of the top of my head, I've had it eat Path files, S3Ds, PNGs and LTEXT.

Quote from: Tropod on December 14, 2014, 01:52:18 PM
-Does editing/saving a *.dat without Exemplars/cohorts still present the problem.

I've had it eat the contents of a file completely comprised of LTEXTs. So yes.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Tropod

I'm thinking if anyone has a before & after *dat file, regarding corruption issue, that'll probably help even better.

@jdenm8
Thanks for clarifying those items, it does help  :thumbsup:.

keepmada

First, thanks Tropod and Jdenm8 for your zeal to finally crush this bug. Its broad scope combined with the Reader's indispensable nature means a potential solution could hold immense value. I called it the "decompression file corruption problem" because what Jondor described was consistent with what I experienced and unlikely to be a coincidence. The "formatting differences" I mentioned referred to the stark visual contrast between the two properties files when viewed in notepad, which is most likely inconsequential. Both files checked out when I ran them through an XML validator.

I've attached "before and after" copies of my most recent example, "Pearson High School" by Justanothersim. You'll easily notice several properties with faulty or truncated values in the building exemplar. They appeared after right-clicking in the preview pane, selecting "Reindex Lotconfig," and refreshing the view (selecting another file in the Entries pane and returning to the building exemplar). For a complete error report, open the "After" file in PIMX.

Please excuse the lack of technical detail. I still consider myself a novice and hold tremendous respect for the dizzying amount and complexity of content bequeathed to the SC4 community by your elite group. That said, I'll do whatever I can to aid the investigation.

keepmada

The following additional information, which may or may not be relevant, is an excerpt from Page 16 of the documentation packaged with Rivit's SC4DataNode:

"Reader is susceptible to the incorrect editing of Text Exemplars. Versions 1.3 and 1.4 of this tool will incorrectly insert formatting into the exemplars. These versions should be avoided."

"$Deal"$ Please note that version 1.4 was the most recent release of Reader at the time of this publication.

jdenm8

Arguably, you should be using User-Visible Name Keys and Description Keys to link to LTEXT files containing the text rather than hardcoding them in the exemplar. The descriptions even have their own dedicated LTEXT Group IDs.

HappyDays

I've encountered the same bug Keepmada has, with certain values being emptied from exemplars.

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13000.0

This thread details exactly how to reproduce the issue.

I've additionally encountered .dat corruption bugs of all sorts when using iLives 1.4. My favorite are the ones where UI files are emptied at random. This particularly sucks because 1.4 has a good interface for editing UI files, whereas 0.9.3 doesn't.

Tropod

Quote from: keepmada on December 23, 2014, 10:43:17 AM
....I've attached "before and after" copies of my most recent example.......

Thanks for uploading these  :thumbsup:. If you/anyone have any others like this, particularly/especially if they don't involve Exemplar/Cohort files, please upload them too (& steps taken) as it will further help narrow down the problem. Sometimes half the trouble with addressing these bugs is trying to replicate them.
I've had a (very) quick look at these files & can see there's clearly some sort of issue. Whether that's got to do with the properties/xml file or reader source code I'm not sure yet & may take (quite) some time to pinpoint the cause (& fix it).

@HappyDays
Thanks for posting this. I'll have a read through that as well as it looks like it'll help ;).

memo

Quote from: jdenm8 on December 24, 2014, 08:47:58 AM
Arguably, you should be using User-Visible Name Keys and Description Keys to link to LTEXT files containing the text rather than hardcoding them in the exemplar. The descriptions even have their own dedicated LTEXT Group IDs.

I think Rivit refers to text formatted exemplar files (as opposed to binary format), rather than exemplars holding properties of text. If I recall correctly, Yild recently mentioned a problem directly related to text formatted exemplars, the code for which was taken from the Reader.

jdenm8

Tropod

v1.5.2b update summary/notes;
   - Text Exemplar corruption fix; otherwise known as Occupant Size (OS) bug.
   - Crash on Counter fix.
   - Compare *dat; Open file dlg & pathfile name display improvements.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ormit2ptuzqn1uv/Ilives%20Reader_v152b_Release.zip?dl=0
Contains "ILives Reader.msi" installer and "setup.exe" for MS2010 runtime libraries.
source code: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivl3zlw7tvmsjrv/Ilives_Reader_source_vs2010_v152b.zip?dl=0.

-OS bug; Not sure if the above fix will resolve the "decompression file corruption" issue or if it is related to something else entirely. I can only suggest users try this most recent version, ensuring you backup your work, reporting back (& steps taken & sample files etc) if it continues to be a problem.

keepmada

As a fellow programmer, I've learned not to celebrate prematurely.  However, I'm struggling to contain the grin on my face right now.  A dozen or so attempts to replicate the "OS Bug" have each been unsuccessful.  It seems the scope of this issue extended much further than Rivit or anyone else could have anticipated.  If and when it proves why so many seasoned users are loyal to version 0.93, perhaps we should bring them up to speed with a more public release.  Much of the community is oblivious to Tropod's recent work because the LEX post is long overdue for an update. 

Tropod - Many, many thanks for the blood, sweat, tears, and what must have been countless late nights developing The Reader ;)

Tropod

Quote from: keepmada on December 31, 2014, 09:16:28 AM
As a fellow programmer, I've learned not to celebrate prematurely.  However, I'm struggling to contain the grin on my face right now.  A dozen or so attempts to replicate the "OS Bug" have each been unsuccessful.  It seems the scope of this issue extended much further than Rivit or anyone else could have anticipated.  If and when it proves why so many seasoned users are loyal to version 0.93, perhaps we should bring them up to speed with a more public release.  Much of the community is oblivious to Tropod's recent work because the LEX post is long overdue for an update. 

Tropod - Many, many thanks for the blood, sweat, tears, and what must have been countless late nights developing The Reader ;)

This is good to hear. Feel free to spread the word  :thumbsup:. I too am a little cautious though the fix has addressed more than just the OS bug. Even though the program is old, if users do have issues the only way they'll possibly get fixed is with the help of recent posts by yourself & others, which really helped me track down & narrow the bug  :thumbsup:. So pat on back for you too  &apls.

Markhoz

mgb204

This message will appear whenever the following conditions exist:

1 - Sim City is running in the background - therefore the file is in use.
2 - You have not configured the Reader to find it in the correct location on your hard drive.

You can still use the Reader with SC4 running, it just can't read any data from open files, probably best avoided.

If you need to configure the reader, open it, click on the Application Menu Icon (Top Left), select Options and look for the line "SimCityLocale.dat file". Click the folder to browse for the file, it should be located at:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Spanish\SimCityLocale.DAT".

If you are using another language, just follow the same folder structure, except select the language you are using for the folder in red.