• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Communications MOD

Started by voliminal, March 30, 2011, 12:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

voliminal

Hey everybody!  :)
I'd like to discuss an idea that came to me a few days back. I was thinking if we could add a whole new communications part to utilities. What I had in mind was that we could build telecommunication towers (stuff for cellular connectivity and all those aerials you see everywhere in a city). We could also add fibre-optic cables underground just like we build pipes for water or maybe telephone and telegraph lines.  We could add builidings/offices/towers where all the servers and switching offices may be located.

I feel that this would make the game even more realistic and that it can also have some functionality as well. It can raise demand for commercial offices and services and perhaps attract more middle wealth and high wealth residents. All these things can be deployed as the city develops and grows more. For eg- we could start off by laying telephone lines and eventually go on to lay fibre-optic later on.

Now I don't know how achievable this idea is as I don't know the first thing about creating custom content. I'm sorry if this idea is a bit far-fetched or useless!

What do you guys think? :)

Kevin1a

Something like this could be done, but not necessarily in the way you think.  To fully implement something like this, it would have to be hard-coded into the game, and pardon my pessimism: that's not going to happen.

What can be done, is that someone could bat a cell tower or some antennas and make it into a lot with a park effect.  As a matter of fact, it's not terribly unlikely that cell tower BATS already exist.  Search around a little bit, see what you find.  From what I hear, adding a park effect shouldn't be too hard.

Kevin1a

Better than nothing.  Those GSM towers would look good in my city, and I might actually end up downloading them.  The lack of CDMA towers fills me with joy. :D  Such is the way of the nerd.