• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

w_swietwoot's Projects

Started by w_swietwoot, January 07, 2012, 02:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mave94

It looks much better indeed. Great work! :thumbsup:
Maybe you could also add a town name sign for gehuchten, for example here.

Lowkee33

Quote from: wasoethoudt on April 09, 2012, 12:56:11 PM
This one fails to show properly after exporting, while the Lod looks good. It also renders propely, but scales the fsh file when inserting it to the file. Don't know why. Probably got something to do with importing it as an Iges from Solidworks.

I've seen this trouble all over the place with 3dsMax.  Short story, your FSH is twice as long as it should be.  It's a pretty quick fix with Null45's GIMP/Photoshop plugins, but annoying non the less.  It happen even more often to the lesser zooms, but since the model is usually so small anyways it's tougher to notice.  Export the FSH from reader, open it with GIMP, cut it in half, and import it back into reader.  Or you could alter the UV values in the S3D.  I think more could go wrong with that method though.

Long story, the S3Ds have a UV mapping of the FSH, and the coordinates of the map are percentages of the FSH.  An S3D is basically saying "This vertex of my LOD is x and y percentage into the FSH".  What is happening is that the FSH that 3dsMax makes are sometimes twice as large as the FSH that BAT has made (3dsMax doesn't touch the S3Ds, it just copy/pastes over the FSH).  Since the UV map is in percentage, it makes that rotation look scrunched up. 

I don't know exactly how to fix it other than halving the FSH in GIMP, but I imagine you could alter the size of your model slightly so that the FSH that 3dsMax makes are the same as the originals.

w_swietwoot

thanks Lowkee. I already fixed the problem. After trying al sorts of things and failing, I increased the size of the LOD with the custom LOD funtion. With the (slightly) XL LOD, it rendered correctly, see picture below the original with the errors on the previous page. Perhaps that was a lucky shot of me. I should check the other views too.

latest creations:

don't like the colours still, but almost there I think.

FrankU

Hi Wouter,

Very good work! Beautiful props. Indeed the colours of the containers are a bit too bright, but you will be able to fix that without my smartass remarks, no?

Frank

Lowkee33

Glad you fixed it.  Maybe I am paranoid, but I would check every rotation and zoom.  After having just done this to 48 models, I can safely say that editing the UV values in the Vert tab is much easier than editing FSH.  Go into Reader and check every Z/R of the S3Ds.  If one of them looks wrong, check the UVMap tab.  Basically you'll see something that should be a nice cube (or whatever the shape of your LOD), is either stretched or compressed.  Note the direction, if it is an X axis issue, then change the U values, if it is a Y axis issue, then change the V values.  The simplest way to do this is to go to the Vert tab, where you can copy/paste either the U or V column into Excel.  In Excel, either multiply or divide the values by 2, and then copy/paste back into Reader.

I think this work will make you happier than guess/check with LOD size within 3dsMax. 

w_swietwoot

I will check all zooms and rotation. I've made some new props but mainly I've uploaded the truck modd file.
Hopefully everything works fine without to many bugs  &ops.

w_swietwoot

again, a bit of progress to show you:

Didn't add mutch, but I have been busy tweaking the props. I've scaled some and made the greens match and am happy with the result.

Created overhanging versions of this sign and you can use them with the RHM.  There are also diagonals.

Buzzit

oh nice work here! I'm impressed once again!  &apls

w_swietwoot

Well it's been a while, but I've finally got some new stuff.

I will try to get some of the props ready soon, but I got side tracked with two new models. I have been enjoying myself making two Rotterdam landmarks.
The models are finished I think, now I 'only' have to apply some textures. Anyway, lets see how far I'll get.
Just to show you the current status, here are some pictures:

The Euromast (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euromast)

The Erasmusbridge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erasmusbrug)

Hope you like it.

kelis

What a great news my friend !!! I love two models, they are very realistic !!!  I've got some pictures of the Euromast, if you need them just tell me it, okay ? Keep up the good work my friend !!

Groeten  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

art128

Some great looking projects here.

I like both of them but I'm most anticipating the Erasmus bridge. ;)

Wait no, I anticipate both, I can already see the radio tower on top of a hill, oh my...
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Girafe

Looks amazing models.  &apls &apls &apls

Wait for the textures :)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Swordmaster

Yikes, Rotterdam.

I mean, great! ;D

Cheers
Willy

mave94

Great to see you here again! :) Those models look great. I always wanted them in the game, especially the Euromast. Lovely! &apls

kelis

Quote from: mave94 on January 03, 2013, 02:04:02 PM
Great to see you here again! :) Those models look great. I always wanted them in the game, especially the Euromast. Lovely! &apls

Yeeep !! Especially the Euromast  ;D
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

FrankU

Wow! Great work!

But, ahem, the Euromast seems a bit short. Are you sure the heigth of the tower is correct?
But I am sure the finished models will be great additions to the game.

Frank

Serkanner

As a native Rotterdammer I have to applaud this.  &apls and a double  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for two excellent looking projects.

w_swietwoot

Thanks for the positive feedback :D. Gives me extra energy to continue. So hopefully these won't end up in the abyss of never finished bat projects... ;D
Franku, you are right on the money, but the height is ok. I think the observation platform seems to big. The billboards at the top, 'space tower' elevator (will be static here, it's moving in RL), that strange bridge almost at the bottom and entrance building will need scaling too.

Scale compaired to the 169m high washington monument (erasmusbridge is 149m, the euromast is 185m). I will add 25m to the euromast at least to make it look more impressive so it will be a bit to tall, but who cares ::).

For the brigde, I've made a repetitive piece aswell (16 long, 32 wide for an avenue). I thought a completely flat bridge would do with some simple starters and the bridge you saw in the picture as a t21 on the middle section. The column going down will be offset. Hopefully this won't give problems with the waves.

Repetetive bridge section with railing piece

The other small problem I can think of is that the erasmus bridge prop and the repetetive bridge prop will give glitches because they intersect.

Closeups euromast:

The opbservation platform

The bottom entrance and the ship bridge like thing ???

kelis

Hoi  :)

I'm wishing to have these models in the game my friend, but I was wondering one thing, the bridge would be a plop model or a real bridge ?

.                                                                                                                      

noahclem

Fascinating projects  &apls   It would be just fantastic to have that bridge in the game  :thumbsup: