• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Izidor44 maps collection

Started by Izidor44, January 13, 2012, 07:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooker1

Thank you for all this hard work.  I'm sure a lot of people will like this map.
A K-point for all your hard work.

Robin  &apls
Call me Robin, please.

Izidor44

Quote from: rooker1 on April 09, 2012, 12:23:08 PM
Thank you for all this hard work.  I'm sure a lot of people will like this map.
A K-point for all your hard work.

Robin  &apls

Hi rooker1,

Thanks again for your kind words !

Here is the map now :
- rotated to make the Manhattan avenues running from south to north (vertically if I could say)
- "frame" slightly moved in order to add more northern territories (like White Plains) and less land at west and south
- dimension of the map slightly reduced in widht, in order to cut vertically the Manhattan island and make bridges possible

Tell me what you think about !

Cheers,

Izi

Sciurus

Great map my friend, great map!! &apls

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

blade2k5

Izidor44, you do know you can get 1/3 arc US data from the US Geological website don't you?  1/3 arc data is far superior to 1 arc data and is far more detailed.  Send me a PM if you can't find it. ;)

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

rooker1

That looks fantastic. 
But Troy (blade2k5) has me intrigued with the idea of better details.

Robin
Call me Robin, please.

Izidor44

Quote from: blade2k5 on April 10, 2012, 01:48:43 PM
Izidor44, you do know you can get 1/3 arc US data from the US Geological website don't you?  1/3 arc data is far superior to 1 arc data and is far more detailed.  Send me a PM if you can't find it. ;)

Hi Blade2k5,

Nice to read you again !

Nope Sir, I didn't know that 1/3 arc definition data source, I can give a try to with NYC... Now I only have to figure out how I can PM you here :)

Izi

rooker1

I have circled the PM button in red. ;)

Robin
Call me Robin, please.

blade2k5

Quote from: Izidor44 on April 11, 2012, 07:07:11 AM
Quote from: blade2k5 on April 10, 2012, 01:48:43 PM

Hi Blade2k5,

Nice to read you again !

Nope Sir, I didn't know that 1/3 arc definition data source, I can give a try to with NYC... Now I only have to figure out how I can PM you here :)

Izi

I'll be back later in the day today [Wed] or tomorrow [Thurs] and give you the info you need.  I just dropped by to see if you had responded yet or not before I head out for the day to do some landscaping for an elderly couple.  Have to lay new sod, build a four foot high 15 foot long retaining wall.  Have a good day.

Quote from: rooker1 on April 11, 2012, 06:00:30 AM
That looks fantastic. 
But Troy (blade2k5) has me intrigued with the idea of better details.

Robin

Robin, all of my US based maps are done with 1/3 arc data.  Only the US though, no 1/3 exists as far as I know for other areas across the planet.  Best you can get for areas outside the US is 1 arc data.

dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦

Rayden

I have used also the 1/9 arc data only available in a few parts of the States and it's amazing how detailed the map gets, like this one - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58036502/NewValley.png

Izidor44

Hi all,

...I finally succeeded in sending a PM to Blade2k5 (too much vodka in the brain I guess)...

So I keep the NYC project on hold, waiting for those 1/3 arc datas...

Cheers,

Izi

Izidor44

Hi Gentlemen,

I finally succeeded in finding 1/3 arc datas and exploiting it ! Thanks to Blade2k5 for suggesting this standard of high definition.

Let's open my mapping laboratory if you dare... (door noise here, please)

Just to show you the differences I would like to compare the 3 possible definitions I have for this New York city map.

Let me show you what I call "dry maps" : these pictures represents the map before any drawing of sea zones and rivers. All elevations are correct but there's just no water at all, and ocean is completelly flat at 0 meters of altitude (250 meters in Terraformer).

I usually change basis colors with some of my taste for mapping : here, the 15 meters isocline si represented by red pixels. It helps me to draw water zones : I can draw what I want under this elevation, nothing above. When elevation exceeds 15 meters, rivers are too much sunken in the ground, which I dislike and found unrealistic.

Those 3 maps represent the same area and have been imported into Terraformer using the same settings (compressor's settings in particular).

3 Arc second resolution

1 Arc second resolution

1/3 Arc second resolution

I was amazed by the smoothness of the 1/3 resolution, but a close up is more relevant :

3 Arc second resolution

1 Arc second resolution

1/3 Arc second resolution

Have you noticed that lower Mabhattan has no longer elevations above 15 meters ? I suspect high buildings of this area to really alter the real datas. On the countrary, the 1/3 arc is way more realistic, you can even guess the shape of harbour constructions and piers... This new standard (for me) of resolution needs some extra work comparing the usual 1 and 3 arc, but it might worth it !  &hlp

So now, you may have guessed by yourself, I have to create a neat sea layer...

Stay tunned,

Izi

blade2k5

Geez, you could have told me you figured it out, I just spent the past hour putting my tutorial together and sending it you via PM. :P  Anyways, go read the PM, I think you may find your curiosity aroused.  I will say no more. $%Grinno$%

Izidor44

Quote from: blade2k5 on April 13, 2012, 02:07:56 PM
Geez, you could have told me you figured it out, I just spent the past hour putting my tutorial together and sending it you via PM. :P  Anyways, go read the PM, I think you may find your curiosity aroused.  I will say no more. $%Grinno$%

My bad, Blade2k5  :-[ ...but I was  so impatient...

The NYC is running smoothly, but some more maps were also in the bag, and now released :

Brunswick (Georgia)

Harrisburg (Pennsylvania)

Sarasota (Florida)

Cheers,

Izi

Izidor44

Good morning gentlemen,

This small post to show the final result of the NYC project :

...and a little close-up :

This was a pretty long job for me as I did almost 4 separates map in various arc resolutions before finishing this one. So I can proudly affirm to know well the pattern of this portion of earth, I can even draw it by heart :P

The map has been, compared to the previous screenshots of the topic, slighty reduced in width, in order to cut the Manhattan island by two. This way, it is possible to put bridges almost everywhere over Hudson river.

Cheers,

Izi

rooker1

Wow.  Some really goo d work here.
Thank you for learning this 1/3 arc method and using it on this NYC map.  I look forward to seeing what you do from here on out.

Robin
Call me Robin, please.

epicblunder

What a beautiful map.  That is simply a fantastic job on the coastline.   :thumbsup:

Izidor44

Hi all,

I finally opened all those tiles for checking if everything was all right :

New York City

This new map will probably be upload next week... ...so bridge-making fans will have to wait until then  $%Grinno$% !

The 1/3 arc resolution is really impressive as, opening the tiles, I could see the real pattern of roads and infrastructures, highways, etc. I will probably use these DEM files for every american map in the future...

Cheers,

Izi

whatevermind

Excellent work on NYC!  And Harrisburg, too - I've always toyed with making a region of that area, but never actually completed one - usually get lost staring at the mountains and lose track of time  ::)

The 1/3 data is awesome, isn't it?  The 1/9 is even crazier, surreal even to get that level of detail in a region.

Izidor44

Hi gentlemen,

New York map is finally uploaded on the STEX this very morning !

Thanks again for all your encouraging words and special gratefull "Merci" to Blade2k5 !

Cheers,

Izi

cmdp123789

I downloaded your NYC map yesterday... it is great... and the ingame quality is marvelous... Now, I see that you just uploaded a map to the stex and I was wondering if you coul make a London map for your next upload...? any chance you could make it? (London, England) and if possible can you rotate it so that the Canary Wharf matches the SC4 grid?