• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabretooth78

First off, let me say every time I disappear from the SC4 scene for some period of time, I'm always amazed by the great things that seem to "come out of nowhere".  RHW & MIS is pretty much everything I always wanted!

That said, however, I'm experiencing a couple of problems:

Some background info:  I'm installing NAM from scratch with completely empty plugin folders (with the exception of the CD-installed AirForceBase landmark; basically I'm attempting to consolidate and weed out things I never or rarely use), starting with the June 07 base version and working incrementally upward.  Therefore there theoretically should be no issues with dependencies or conflicts of any nature.

When I install the January 08 update of the NAM, I get a "xx Intersection placement string missing xx" occasionally throughout my tab cycle for rail puzzle pieces (maybe 6± in total?), and 2 at the end of the avenue puzzle piece cycle.  I'm not sure how much of a problem this is, as I still have, in the instance of rail, 27 properly appearing puzzle piece variations, i.e. everything appears to be present, just these "extra" error pieces.  See picture below.

When I install the RHW (v.20), all of the "Rail over..." RHW/MIS puzzle pieces appear as depicted below.  This seems to be a fairly major issue?

Thanks
Chris

Ryan B.

Let me be the first (I think) to extend a warm welcome to you here at SC4D!  I was wondering when Operation Buffalo Wing would set up shop over here.  :)

I'm having the same issue, too.  However, I'm in the midst of rebuilding my plugins folder, so maybe the issue will sort itself out once I get everything cleaned up.

Sabretooth78

Set up shop?  I need to get the shop running again!  I always say I'm back into it, but...  Holidays, vacations, new job, buying a house... aye ye ye.  Somebody is conspiring against it!

As I said, the only things in my plugins folder are that Maxis AFB landmark, the background PNGs, June 07 & Jan 08 NAM, and RHW.  I'm not even using StartupManager to pare things down or anything.  Now, if I had my usual scenario with the folders chock full of stuff, I might sit back and think "well, maybe this is my fault".  But I don't think that can be the case here.

Anywho, nice to hear somebody else has the problem (well, not really).  At least it's a known issue; I can deal with that.

ebina

Quote from: sargeantcm on January 23, 2008, 05:42:56 PM
When I install the January 08 update of the NAM, I get a "xx Intersection placement string missing xx" occasionally throughout my tab cycle for rail puzzle pieces (maybe 6± in total?), and 2 at the end of the avenue puzzle piece cycle.  I'm not sure how much of a problem this is, as I still have, in the instance of rail, 27 properly appearing puzzle piece variations, i.e. everything appears to be present, just these "extra" error pieces.  See picture below.

When I install the RHW (v.20), all of the "Rail over..." RHW/MIS puzzle pieces appear as depicted below.  This seems to be a fairly major issue?
Basically color patch appears when there's no textures for S3D file. Your case is able to happen if the NAM Jan 2008 Update was installed before the NAM June 2007. It also can be a cause of missing pieces.

Please check the date stamp of NetworkAddonMod2.dat. If it's not Dec 2007, it's an old file. I'd suggest reinstalling the NAM. Maybe your case can be solved by reinstalling the Jan 2008 Update to your current installation. Afterwards install the latest NAM Essentials for the RHW.

Edit: Dec 2007 is the case of GMT+9:00. It can be Nov 2007 in other time zones.

Tarkus

sargeantcm, good to see you around, and welcome to SC4D!  I'm also quite pleased to hear you like the new MIS. :) 

As far as those "IntersectionPlacementString Missing" errors, it sounds like you may have outdated Locale files for both the NAM and RHW.  In addition to reinstalling the January 2008 update as ebina suggested, I'd also suggest reinstalling RHW v20 right after it.

Hope that helps!

-Alex (Tarkus)

Sabretooth78

Figured it out.

I was just installing the Jan 08 update to the NAM essentials (lex file 850).  D'oh!  I was totally missing the full update (featured on the home page no less) (file 1425).  All works well now.

Thanks!

debutterfly

I have a problem where I still get rickmanfast67's old replacement textures from 13b for the RHW-2. And sometimes on rare instances there are "congested" RHW's with little traffic. I have nothing zoned next to the RHW/MIS system. I also am using the Startup Manager and not using the Legacy support in updated cities. I'll get you some pics shortly.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: debutterfly on January 24, 2008, 10:45:01 AM
I have a problem where I still get rickmanfast67's old replacement textures from 13b for the RHW-2.

That can't be possible.  I didn't release any RHW-2 stuff in my old replacement texture download.  Only stuff for the RHW-4.
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Tarkus

The old RHW-2 textures were mjig_dudy's, and they were never included as part of the actual RHW mod.  If you remove that file (I don't remember the name of it off the top of my head, except that the words "Two Way" were in it), the new textures included in RHW v20 should show up.

-Alex (Tarkus)

debutterfly

i deleted the file long ago but the textures RHW-2 still show even on a new map w/o 13b

Tarkus

The old file file is still hiding somewhere (perhaps in an obscure location) in your Plugins from the sounds of things.  The file should be named "twoway RHW.dat"--try doing a Search in your plugins for it.

-Alex (Tarkus)

debutterfly

Tarkus

Hmm . . . unusual.  Do you by chance mean RHW-4?  If so, that is the legacy support file's doing.  I assigned the old textures from v13b (before rickmastfan's update) to the Instance IDs used in prior versions of the RHW, such that you could see whether or not you've updated the your RHWs to the new standard.

Of course, I may still be missing the issue here.  Would you be able to show some pics?  That may help quite a bit.

-Alex (Tarkus)

debutterfly

no, somehow the SC4 Startup Manager was reading my compressed Plugins. deleted the folder and now i'm happy!!!  ;D

Tarkus

That would do it.  Glad you found the problem, debutterfly. :)

That's why we'd suggest to anyone out there who's DatPacking their Plugins to not include their NAM folder in the DatPacking process, due to its frequent updates. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

RebaLynnTS

I group my files in dat packs, by type .. Airport, hospital, etc. Then things that get updated fairly regularly, I leave in seperate folders (NAM, SAM, RWH, ect.), so far this has served me well.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

schm0

Has this texture problem ever been addressed? I've been playing forever but never noticed, and apparently I've been told it's a Maxis problem. In the SAM forum thread I was told this is a Maxis texture and appears this way because there are an odd amount of pixels. Can this/is this being fixed?

schm0

rickmastfan67

Quote from: schm0 on January 28, 2008, 06:59:14 PM
Has this texture problem ever been addressed? I've been playing forever but never noticed, and apparently I've been told it's a Maxis problem. In the SAM forum thread I was told this is a Maxis texture and appears this way because there are an odd amount of pixels. Can this/is this being fixed?

Only can be fixed if the entire road and street network was rebuilt from the ground up.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

RebaLynnTS

The number of pixels should not be the reason. Just looks like someone did not take the time to do it right to start with.

I'd think, you would only need a patch to replace the one texture ID.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

rickmastfan67

Quote from: RebaLynnTS on January 28, 2008, 07:35:18 PM
The number of pixels should not be the reason. Just looks like someone did not take the time to do it right to start with.

I'd think, you would only need a patch to replace the one texture ID.

That's where you're wrong.  With every default network that Maxis made, they all had dimensions with odd pixel numbers.  When a piece needs to be rotated that's where the pixel problem shows itself.  However, with the new networks that are being created, we're using even number pixels for then so they will not have the rotation problem compared to their predecessors.